choc chips vs morsels

Old 03-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Barbara Mayo-Wells
Usenet poster

Default choc chips vs morsels

I have a crowd-pleasing quick-and-easy church cookbook recipe that never
fails. Dagnabbit, today it did.

Frosting recipe is:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp margarine or butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)

Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring
constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour
and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.

Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels instead of
chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used them. I stirred
and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and the mixture never did
get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate throughout. Tasted good,
but looked crummy, and I was hoping to impress with this one.

Any ideas about why this happened?

The frosting usually stays soft and has a pleasing sheen. It goes atop the
following:

CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS:
1 pkg Pillsbury Moist Supreme devil's food cake mix
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
1 tsp almont extract
1 eggs, beaten

Combine ingredients, stir until well blended, spread in greased 15 x 10 x 1
inch pan.
Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about
20-30 minutes.
Frost, cool completely, and cut into bars.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:49 PM
hahabogus
Usenet poster

"Barbara Mayo-Wells" wrote in
:

Frosting recipe is:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
5 tbsp margarine or butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz package)

Combine sugar, milk, & margarine, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute
stirring constantly. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate chips until
smooth. Pour and spread over warm bars. Cool completely.

Today's problem: I inadvertently bought Nestle chocolate morsels
instead of chocolate chips (they were on sale, half price), and used
them. I stirred and stirred and stirred -- 20 minutes at least -- and
the mixture never did get totally smooth. Little flecks of chocolate
throughout. Tasted good, but looked crummy, and I was hoping to
impress with this one.

Any ideas about why this happened?

The morsels seized...That is to say there was a higher % of chocolate in
the morsels than in the chips and true chocolate doesn't like to boil.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:10 AM
Sheryl Rosen
Usenet poster

in article , Barbara Mayo-Wells at
wrote on 4/3/04 1:20 PM:

[...]

Nestle calls their chocolate chips "morsels". They are the same thing.

What brand do you usually buy? Perhaps the brand you've bought before melts
better than Nestle's does.

The thing about chocolate chips/morsels is that they are designed to hold
their shape in cookies after baking. So they melt a little on the inside,
but they never fully melt. That's desirable in cookies, but not in recipes
that call for smooth, melted chocolate.

For melting, you are better off buying a semi-sweet bar of baking chocolate
(Ghiradelli makes one, as does Baker's, both of which are available at most
supermarkets.) and breaking it apart. Bar chocolate will melt more smoothly
chips/morsels. Hershey's and Nestles also make squares of semi-sweet (as
well as unsweetened) chocolate that are meant to be melted before using.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:06 PM
The Cook
Usenet poster

"Barbara Mayo-Wells" wrote:

[...]

I have made this recipe several time with Nestle's chocolate morsels
and had no problem. Only difference is my recipe calls for butter. I
also used to make the mint chocolate chip cookies with the Nestle's
mint morsels and the recipe calls for melting 1/2 of the chips. Never
a problem.

--
Susan N.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Trader Joe's semi-sweet chocolate chips Karen Salomon Chocolate 3 17-09-2005 10:11 PM
dark choc + orange juice Dan Birchall Chocolate 2 19-03-2004 09:49 PM
Old Dutch Potato Chips El21 General Cooking 6 02-01-2004 10:25 PM
Ghirardelli Double Chocolate Chips Dexygus Chocolate 2 18-10-2003 04:14 AM