Can I use the tops of sprouting onions as I would green onions?

Old 07-04-2005, 10:59 AM
White Monkey
Usenet poster

Default Can I use the tops of sprouting onions as I would green onions?

Hi again folks,

I have some sprouting onions here, and have run out of green onions. I'll
pick some green onions up later, but would like to know if, in future, I can
snip the sprouts off the regular onions and use them as I would green
onions, and if so, do they taste similar?

Thanks,
Katrina

Old 07-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Katra
Usenet poster

"White Monkey" wrote:

Hi again folks,

I have some sprouting onions here, and have run out of green onions. I'll
pick some green onions up later, but would like to know if, in future, I can
snip the sprouts off the regular onions and use them as I would green
onions, and if so, do they taste similar?

Thanks,
Katrina

I've personally never tried it, but the best way to be sure would be to
snip the top off of one and bite into it to taste.

Seriously. ;-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 07-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Seamus
Usenet poster

I've done it. As far as the green part goes, it's tastier and more
tender than most stem onions. Just watch out that the bulb hasn't gone
bad - it will impart a rank overtone.

Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

"Seamus" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've done it. As far as the green part goes, it's tastier and more
tender than most stem onions. Just watch out that the bulb hasn't gone
bad - it will impart a rank overtone.

Geez, I just threw away some sprouted garlic bulbs, perhaps I could've used
the sprouts?
Dee

Old 07-04-2005, 03:07 PM
aem
Usenet poster

Dee Randall wrote:

Geez, I just threw away some sprouted garlic bulbs, perhaps I
could've used the sprouts?
Dee

Got a kitchen window sill? Next time plant the bulbs in a pot and snip
the sprouts now and then for your scrambled eggs. -aem

Old 09-04-2005, 06:57 AM
White Monkey
Usenet poster

Thanks everyone!
--Katrina

Old 09-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Rick & Cyndi
Usenet poster

"White Monkey" wrote in message

Thanks everyone!
--Katrina

=====

You're welcome.

[Recipe] Red Potatoes Roasted with Onions, Thyme and Sherry Vinegar The Ranger General Cooking 2 22-02-2005 07:59 AM
Pizza Sauce Recipe rmg General Cooking 4 26-01-2005 03:20 AM
Mesquite Steak with Grilled Sweet Onions International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 19-06-2004 02:16 PM
Beef with Red Onions Nicholas Zhou Sourdough 2 10-12-2003 02:04 AM
Roasted Red Onions and Wilted Spinach with Sweet Potatoes MrFalafel Vegan 0 27-10-2003 01:48 PM