Ben

Default starch is starch right?

Does it make a difference if I use potato starch instead of corn starch to
thicken a broth? I presume they have the same effect?

Thanks,
Ben
Doug Freyburger

Ben wrote:

> Does it make a difference if I use potato starch instead of corn starch to
> thicken a broth? I presume they have the same effect?

They have different particle sizes, so they have slightly different
lumpiness. Arrowroot is difficult to get into lumps; corn starch
must be carefully stirred to avoid lumps.

They have different impurities so they can trigger different alergic
reactions. Far more people are mildly alergic to corn than most
believe. Fewer are mildly alergic to potatos without knowing it.

One a scale of 99, they are the same in the 10s digit, different in
the 1s digit.
Ben

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> One a scale of 99, they are the same in the 10s digit, different in
> the 1s digit.

Ah. From the sounds of it though, with regards to my usage they could be
treated similarly.

Thanks,
Ben
Snowfeet1

I can't eat any wheat products therefore I have to use different products for
thickening. I've found that sweet rice flour is the best - potato starch will
thicken but will break down and become runny after cooling. You can also use
corn starch but use than you would flour.
Dimitri

"Ben" > wrote in message
> Does it make a difference if I use potato starch instead of corn starch to
> thicken a broth? I presume they have the same effect?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Nope starches are usually quite different in their actions and temperatures
at which thy begin to react. Some will yield a translucent finished product
and some will yield an opaque result.

For more information go to:

http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Dimitri

Ben

Dimitri wrote:
> Nope starches are usually quite different in their actions and temperatures
> at which thy begin to react. Some will yield a translucent finished product
> and some will yield an opaque result.
>
> For more information go to:
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

Ah. Very useful!

Thanks,
Ben
Dimitri

"Ben" > wrote in message
> Dimitri wrote:
> > Nope starches are usually quite different in their actions and

temperatures
> > at which thy begin to react. Some will yield a translucent finished

product
> > and some will yield an opaque result.
> >
> > For more information go to:
> >
> > http://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html

> Ah. Very useful!
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

You're welcome even though you didn't agree with the milk.

;-)

Dimitri

Ben

Dimitri wrote:
> You're welcome even though you didn't agree with the milk.

I am glad that it affected Julia in a positive way. I cannot agree that it was
the best course of action to take from the orthodox perspective (actually I
can't agree it was the correct thing to do from the orthodox perspective.)

regards,
Ben

Anything With Starch of a Plantain But Less Sugar? W General Cooking 7 14-01-2014 03:25 AM
Pancakes containing potato starch Roy[_2_] General Cooking 6 30-09-2013 01:54 AM
corn starch as thickener Allan Matthews General Cooking 28 09-02-2010 03:32 PM
messy corn starch Wayne Asian Cooking 2 07-10-2006 04:40 PM
Where to buy Tapioca Starch MC General Cooking 13 11-07-2004 06:06 PM