Default Where to buy Bison Meat?

I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?

By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
1/2 hour from me.

Thanks.
doug

elaine

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
> seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
> pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
> outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?
>
> By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
> 1/2 hour from me.
>
> Thanks.
> doug

Longos in Brampton, Ontario

Actually I've never bought it but would be interested as well to hear
favourite ways to cook it.

Elaine

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
> seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
> pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
> outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?
>
> By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
> 1/2 hour from me.
>
> Thanks.
> doug

You can get it at Bangma's Dairy Store. Of course, since you neglected to
say where you are, it could be a long drive to Uxbridge, MA.

Doug Kelner

Sorry I wasn't clearer.
I live in Oak Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.
I was hoping that someone might be able to share some experience with
internet-based sites.

doug

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
> seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
> pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
> outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?
>
> By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
> 1/2 hour from me.
>
> Thanks.
> doug

Jessica V.

Doug Kelner wrote:

> Sorry I wasn't clearer.
> I live in Oak Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.
> I was hoping that someone might be able to share some experience with
> internet-based sites.
>
> doug
>
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
>>seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
>>pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
>>outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?
>>
>>By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
>>1/2 hour from me.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>doug

I've never bought Bison online. I can get it frozen or cryovaced in the
regular grocery store or go to the 4 season farm stand two miles don the
street for fresh. Buffamoo is pretty good too, fattier, lucky for me
there's a Buffamoo farm within ten miles. If it's easily available here
in nowhere Maine, I'd think it'd be not that hard to find it in
Chicago-land. I generally pay 4-15 a pound depending on the cut.

Hands-down the best bison I've ever had was at the Gunbarrel Restaurant
in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Bison there came from a farm in
Thermopolis Wyoming that's owed by Michael & Kathleen Gear, I don't know
if they sell online or not but it may be worth a look. Cannot recall
the name of the ranch ATM.

Jessica

Jessica
cowboy

> Hands-down the best bison I've ever had was at the Gunbarrel Restaurant in
> Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Bison there came from a farm in Thermopolis
> Wyoming that's owed by Michael & Kathleen Gear, I don't know if they sell
> online or not but it may be worth a look. Cannot recall the name of the
> ranch ATM.
>
> Jessica

it's called Red Canyon ranch

they have a website he
http://www.gear-gear.com/the_ranch/the_bison.htm

-L.

Doug Kelner wrote:
> Sorry I wasn't clearer.
> I live in Oak Park, IL a suburb of Chicago.
> I was hoping that someone might be able to share some experience with

> internet-based sites.
>
> doug

It's hard to tell from the Internet sites - some (most?) of the ranches
may butcher once or twice a year and freeze the meat - when you order
sight-unseen you never know how old the meat is. We resorted to buying
locally from grocery stores (Whole Foods here carries it) as we could
trace it to the source ranch and slaughterhouse.

If BSE is an issue for you make sure the ranch grazes on land that is
used for Buffalo only, and that they slaughter on-site.

HTH,
-L.

: I've never bought Bison online. I can get it frozen or cryovaced in the
: regular grocery store or go to the 4 season farm stand two miles don the
: street for fresh. Buffamoo is pretty good too, fattier, lucky for me
: there's a Buffamoo farm within ten miles. If it's easily available here
: in nowhere Maine, I'd think it'd be not that hard to find it in
: Chicago-land. I generally pay 4-15 a pound depending on the cut.

It's "Beefalo", dork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 2, 2005 11:06:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
> seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
> pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
> outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?
>
> By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
> 1/2 hour from me.
>
> Thanks.
> doug

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 2, 2005 11:06:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> I've done only a little searching. Where can I buy Bison meat? I've
> seen very wide divergence in price on the web (anywhere from $20 a
> pound to $80 a pound). I'm willing to pay for good quality but not an
> outrageous amount. Can people share their experiences/favorites?
>
> By the way - there is a Whole Foods near me, and a Trader Jo's maybe
> 1/2 hour from me.
>
> Thanks.
> doug

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Northforkbison.com sells bison cuts on line and also sells half bison at $13.95 a kilo (about 2lbs) Not bad! Shipping is extra. But you can share it with friends and family and it comes out really inexpensive for great quality meat no added hormones, no antibiotics and it's free range and grass fed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013, Ronnie Kellner > wrote:

>Northforkbison.com sells bison cuts on line and also sells half bison at $13.95 a kilo (about 2lbs) Not bad! Shipping is extra. But you can share it with friends and family and it comes out really inexpensive for great quality meat no added hormones, no antibiotics and it's free range and grass fed.

Spam Alert!

North Fork Bison
421 Red Cross
LaSalle, QC H8R 2X8

Part of greater Montreal.

Resolves to: bas1-montreal47-2925127779.dsl.bell.ca

Bison? Anthony General Cooking 35 25-10-2013 09:36 PM
Bison breakfast meat koko General Cooking 3 28-07-2009 12:39 AM
Bison Prime rib roast Shadowdog General Cooking 7 18-11-2006 05:05 PM
Quick, Father's Day bison meat recommendation! Spiral-out General Cooking 0 16-06-2004 11:44 PM