Default Walnut ideas

I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted them,
used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
I've even made cookies with them.

Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She likes
walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>

Dean G.

Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted them,
> used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
> I've even made cookies with them.
>
> Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She likes
> walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>
>
> Dean G.

One of the best desserts, if you go in for this kind of thing, is some
excellent blue cheese such as a Stilton, walnuts, and a glass of good port.

--
Peter Aitken

Pizen

> I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted
> them,
> used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
> I've even made cookies with them.
>
> Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She
> likes
> walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>
>
> Dean G.

Il Pesto (from The Nero Wolfe Cookbook by Rex Stout)

1/4 lb. pig liver (chicken livers will work, just not as well)
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup black walnuts
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1/2 cup grated Canestrato or Cacciocavallo cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup olive oil

Saute the thinly sliced liver in the butter until just done and
remove. Chop coarsely. In a blender or food processor, combine
basil, garlic, black walnuts, chives, cheese, salt, pepper, and 1/4
cup of the olive oil. Blend or process at low speed until a puree
consistency is achieved. Slowly add the remaining olive oil, blending
at low speed, until the oil is completely incorporated and the
consistency is that of whipped cream. Add the liver and blend for
another five seconds - the texture of the liver should be discernible.
This may be served as a spread for crackers, or by increasing the
olive oil to 1 1/2 cups, used as a sauce for pasta.

I didn't use pig liver, so I guess Nero Wolfe would sneer at my
pickiness. And I couldn't find Canestrato cheese, but I could find
Cacciocavallo. I also like using a bit more pepper and a little less
salt (I added salt after everything else to my taste). Perhaps some
of you with good cheese shops in your area (or Italian food markets;
Canestrato is from Sicily) will have better luck. The spread is good
while drinking ale.

--
"Life is hard. Life is harder when you're stupid". - John Wayne

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with
bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

'99 FLHRCI

Remove 74 before replying

Chris Neidecker

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted them,
> used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
> I've even made cookies with them.
>
> Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She likes
> walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>

Hey Dean....if the above ideas worked last night, and now you're looking for
something for breakfast....try sprinkling some chopped walnuts over Raisin
Bran...doesn't sound like much, but it really transforms a bowl of cereal.

If it wasn't way past my bedtime, I'd go get my mom's recipe for
cinnamon-spiced walnuts....you beat an egg white, dump in some walnut
halves, toss to coat, then dump on some cinnamon sugar (and salt?), spread
out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 250 for about an hour, turning nuts over
halfway through. You could try googling for this. Easy and wonderful!

Katra

In article <eO61e.26337$oa6.25580@trnddc07>,
"Chris Neidecker" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted them,
> > used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
> > I've even made cookies with them.
> >
> > Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She likes
> > walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>
> >

> Hey Dean....if the above ideas worked last night, and now you're looking for
> something for breakfast....try sprinkling some chopped walnuts over Raisin
> Bran...doesn't sound like much, but it really transforms a bowl of cereal.
>
> If it wasn't way past my bedtime, I'd go get my mom's recipe for
> cinnamon-spiced walnuts....you beat an egg white, dump in some walnut
> halves, toss to coat, then dump on some cinnamon sugar (and salt?), spread
> out on a cookie sheet, and bake at 250 for about an hour, turning nuts over
> halfway through. You could try googling for this. Easy and wonderful!

I do pecans this way sometimes for a sweet treat.

Might work for Walnuts? (I hate walnuts! Too bitter. My cockatoo gets
them all!)

Take (walnut) pieces or preferably halves, place in a microwave safe
bowl.

Sprinkle liberally with brown sugar, top with butter and a bit of maple
syrup.

Nuke on high until the butter and sugar melts, then stir with a fork.
Level them out flat on a plate and let cool.

Pecans are better imho, but that's just me. ;-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Curly Sue

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:54:18 GMT, "Chris Neidecker"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
roups.com...
>> I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted them,
>> used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
>> I've even made cookies with them.
>>
>> Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She likes
>> walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>
>>

>Hey Dean....if the above ideas worked last night, and now you're looking for
>something for breakfast....try sprinkling some chopped walnuts over Raisin
>Bran...doesn't sound like much, but it really transforms a bowl of cereal.

I agree! Sometimes I add raisins and walnuts to my daily flakes :>

Sue(tm)
Alan Holmes

"Curly Sue" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 05:54:18 GMT, "Chris Neidecker"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
groups.com...
>>> I'm looking for a few new ideas for using walnuts. I've roasted them,
>>> used them in stuffings, in pestos, and also topped salads with them.
>>> I've even made cookies with them.
>>>
>>> Preferably a side dish, or a dessert. Single guy. Cute girl. She likes
>>> walnuts. It really is an emergency.<g>

Why not eat them as they come, raw?

I like a little salt with mine.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

>I use walnuts to make pie crusts, instead of pastry. Just chop 'em up
>really fine, toss 'em with splenda (or sugar) and some butter then

press
>into the pan. I use this as a crust for cheesecake and pumpkin pie.

It is a 1:1 replacement for flour ? It seem the walnuts would have more
fat. Do I need to cut back on the butter ?

thanks,
Dean

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.

I'll have to try more than a few of these.

The current idea is to make a pear-walnut-stilton tart on Siobhan's
crust. Then a port reduction sauce on top. The Stilton may be to, how
shall I say, "rough" for baking, so maybe I'll mix with Mascarpone to
keep the kitchen air within EPA regs. Even then I may add that on top
very late in the cooking process.

Dean G.

Katra

In article > ,
Dog3 > wrote:

> You have a parrot? What kind? My cousins have 3. I baby sat one time. One
> would talk and start the car the car noise. It was a riot. I thought the
> was started and going. The other 2 did not talk much. The yappy parrot
> was a big white one. I know nothing about birds but I had complete
> instructions on how to care for them. They really did not do well without
> the cousins there. They missed them, were cranky and would bite. One bird
> lost it's feathers. I had to vet it. They were a pain. But they had 3
> birds. I was in Dallas at the time visiting them.
>
> Michael <- still eating egg salad

Goffin's Cocaktoo...
Odds are, the white parrot you took care of was also a cockatoo. :-)

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

There is no need to change the world. All we have to do is toilet train the world and we'll never have to change it again. -- Swami Beyondanada

Joseph Littleshoes

Ginny Sher wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:19:27 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>
> >Dave Smith wrote:

> >If anyone is interested i have precise instructions
> >for maple walnut ice cream (refrigerator tray method).

> ---

> >Joseph Littleshoes

> Yes, please post the ice cream recipe. Sounds good.

Here you go Ginny
..
Maple walnut ice cream
----------------------------

1 cup real maple syrup
[won't be as well flavoured with imitation maple syrup]

3 egg yolks, beaten

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla extract.

3 egg white, stiffly beaten

1 cup whipping cream, beaten to a thickened "custard" like consistency

1/2 cup skinned, chopped walnuts.

Place maple syrup in upper part of a double boiler, and heat, but do not
boil, over hot water.

Then, stir in the lightly beaten egg yolk with salt until well
blended.

Cook, stirring constantly, over hot water, until mixture thickens.
Remove from water, and add vanilla extract. Chill. When cold, fold in
the stiffly beaten egg white, alternately with the cream which has been
beaten to a custard like consistency.

Freeze in a loaf pan to a mushy consistency, or until a layer is frozen
1 inch from side of pan. Remove from freezer and scrape and stir from
bottom and sides of pan. Then beat until smooth incorporating at the
same time the chopped, skinned walnuts. Return to freezer and freeze
for 3 hours.
---
Joseph Littleshoes