Carnitas from Costco

Old 20-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Ginny Sher
Usenet poster

Default Carnitas from Costco

Hi, group.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.

That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
buy it again.

Ginny
Old 20-03-2005, 03:37 PM
sf
Usenet poster

It's precooked? Sometimes you just want to heat and eat, so it sounds
like an acceptable alternative to a tacqueria (especially if there
isn't one in your area).

````````````````````````````

Old 20-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Ginny Sher
Usenet poster

Ginny Sher wrote:
Hi, group.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.

That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a

whim.
I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good.

I'd
buy it again.

Ginny

Yes, it's precooked. I should have mentioned that. It says to nuke 4
minutes, then rest for 2 minutes. Easy as can be...

The salsa I recently bought at Trader Joe's was also pretty good for a
store bought brand. Generally, I dislike those because they taste
funny to me. Maybe it's the preservatives they use.
Old 20-03-2005, 07:09 PM
PaulaY.
Usenet poster

"Ginny Sher" wrote in message
Hi, group.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.

That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
buy it again.

Ginny

On a recent trip to Costco, Hubby and I sampled the Carnitas, Barbacoa
and Chili Verde. We liked it so much we bought 3 Carnitas (it's me Fav),
a Barbacoa and Chili Verde for our freezer. It's the best precooked items
I've
purchased from Costco or Sam's. Each item is very easy to prepare and makes
a quick tasty dinner or lunch.

Paula

Old 20-03-2005, 11:01 PM
kalanamak
Usenet poster

Ginny Sher wrote:

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
buy it again.

This item is the number one food brought in for the potlucks at work.
One man, who spends I can't tell you how much time going on and on about
his weight and cholesterol, finally got under my skin and I (politely)
read him the label of these as he was chowing down on #6. It shut him up
for at least 20 minutes.
Old 21-03-2005, 12:27 AM
JimLane
Usenet poster

Ginny Sher wrote:
Hi, group.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.

That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a whim.
I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
buy it again.

Ginny

The salsa that is also available is very good. I've sampled all them at
the sampling tables they have set up. I find them a bit salty. The chili
verde is my favorite.

jim
Old 21-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Ginny Sher
Usenet poster

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:01:06 -0800, kalanamak
wrote:

Ginny Sher wrote:

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good. I'd
buy it again.

This item is the number one food brought in for the potlucks at work.
One man, who spends I can't tell you how much time going on and on about
his weight and cholesterol, finally got under my skin and I (politely)
read him the label of these as he was chowing down on #6. It shut him up
for at least 20 minutes.

You must really hate this guy... LOL
Old 21-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Ginny Sher
Usenet poster

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 16:27:59 -0800, JimLane
wrote:

Ginny Sher wrote:
[...]

I go to Costco so often these days, I'm surprised I haven't seen the
chili verde before... and only recently, the carnitas. I'll be on the
lookout for it on my next visit.

Ginny
Old 22-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Dee Randall
Usenet poster

oups.com...

Ginny Sher wrote:
Hi, group.

Disclaimer: I am no expert on carnitas. I only know that I like what
I've had in restaurants and in Mexico.

That being said, I bought a package of carnitas from Costco on a

whim.
I took it home and heated it up per instructions on the package,
warmed a couple of yellow corn tortillas, added some chopped avocado,
sprinkled some grated cheese and salsa picante over that. It's took
about 6 minutes from start to finish. Mexican comfort food. Yum.

The carnitas was great, imo. It had lots of flavor, the meat easily
separated and had good texture. Mostly, it just tasted damn good.

I'd
buy it again.

Ginny

Is the carnitas a frozen product? It was mentioned: Carnitas, Barbacoa &
Chili Verdi -- is this one and the same product or they all different
products. I was at our Costco in Virginia, but couldn't find this. Oh,
well -- I couldn't even find canned sauerkraut yesterday.

thanks,
Dee

Old 22-03-2005, 05:27 PM
JimLane
Usenet poster

Dee Randall wrote:
oups.com...

Ginny Sher wrote:

[...]

Not all CostCo stores carry the same products. Here in San Diego (La
Mesa store), we had the carnitas, birria de res and de pollo, chili
verde, rice, beans and their salsa.

jim
Old 22-03-2005, 06:11 PM
Ginny Sher
Usenet poster

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:13:10 -0500, "Dee Randall"
deedoveyatshenteldotnet wrote:

roups.com...

Ginny Sher wrote:
[...]

They are different items and all are found in the refrigerated deli
section. HTH

Ginny

REC: Carnitas and Tropical Salsa Kate Connally General Cooking 1 28-10-2004 06:56 PM
COSTCO milk and sweet creame (butter) vsiddali General Cooking 4 04-09-2004 05:04 AM
Costco Shiraz Vino Wine 0 31-07-2004 05:13 AM
Question for SFBA Costco members notbob Barbecue 20 16-04-2004 07:14 AM
Pork Carnitas (5) Collection Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 23-12-2003 01:40 AM