Alison

Default Chinese lotus leaf wraps

Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?

Thanks,
Alison
elaine

Lotus leaves. Are these edible? If so you might not want to replace with
foil. Probably wouldn't be quite the same.
E.

"Alison" > wrote in message
om...
> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

elaine

Lotus leaves. Are these edible? If so you might not want to replace with
foil. Probably wouldn't be quite the same.
E.

"Alison" > wrote in message
om...
> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

Peter Aitken

"Alison" > wrote in message
om...
> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

That's one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the
lotus leaves even though there are quite a few oriental shops around here. I
do not think foil would work because I think the recipe involves putting
raw - or maybe partly cooked -ingredients in the leaf and simmering or
steaming for a long time. You do not eat the leaf, of course, but things
will not cook the same in foil. But, maybe someone who has actually tried it
will know better.

Peter

Peter Aitken

"Alison" > wrote in message
om...
> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

That's one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the
lotus leaves even though there are quite a few oriental shops around here. I
do not think foil would work because I think the recipe involves putting
raw - or maybe partly cooked -ingredients in the leaf and simmering or
steaming for a long time. You do not eat the leaf, of course, but things
will not cook the same in foil. But, maybe someone who has actually tried it
will know better.

Peter

JLove98905

>Some kinda sticky rice with pork
>> wrapped up in a lotus leaf.

This has prompted a vague memory-

I had something last time that was new to me....the package was about palm
sized- the rice inside had turned a bit brownish/green from the leaf, and I
thought maybe it was a tea leaf. But I have no idea if a tea leaf can even grow
that big! Could it have been a lotus leaf? It was very tasty. How big is this
item you're describing?

-Jen

-Jen

Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

JLove98905

>Some kinda sticky rice with pork
>> wrapped up in a lotus leaf.

This has prompted a vague memory-

I had something last time that was new to me....the package was about palm
sized- the rice inside had turned a bit brownish/green from the leaf, and I
thought maybe it was a tea leaf. But I have no idea if a tea leaf can even grow
that big! Could it have been a lotus leaf? It was very tasty. How big is this
item you're describing?

-Jen

-Jen

Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Tamara Lim

Hello Alison,

That large leaf you're talking about is actually a banana leaf. It is used
to wrap the rice together, which is cooked by steaming it. The leaf also
adds flavour to the rice, so I don't believe that you can replicate that
dish with foil.

"Alison" > wrote in message
om...
> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

Tamara Lim

Hello Alison,

That large leaf you're talking about is actually a banana leaf. It is used
to wrap the rice together, which is cooked by steaming it. The leaf also
adds flavour to the rice, so I don't believe that you can replicate that
dish with foil.

"Alison" > wrote in message
om...
> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
>
> Thanks,
> Alison

Darrell Grainger

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Alison wrote:

> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?

Hi Alison,

I know what you are talking about. My mother-in-law makes it. Actually, if
the pack is square in shape it is probably lotus leaves. If it is
trianglar in shape then it is probably bamboo leaves.

You should be able find them at a chinese grocery store. If you are in the
Toronto area there is a supermarket called T&T located on Bathurst north
of Steeles (they are in the Promenade Mall, north side). They would have
the lotus leaves. Actually, they have the stuff already prepared so you
just need to steam it.

The only thing I know about making the dish is that you have to soak the
leaves before you wrap the ingredients. You can make it with all kinds of
different ingredients. It is usually sticky rice filled with something.
Traditional combinations are red bean paste, red bean paste and a salty
duck egg yolk or pork and shitake mushrooms.

I'm not sure if my mother-in-law is willing to part with her recipe but I
would imagine there are recipes out there for it...

Just did a quick search on www.google.ca and found the following link:
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe037.htm. Don't know how good
this is. This recipe indicates that you can use aluminum foil instead of
lotus leaves. My wife tells me that it will absolutely change the dish if
you did not use lotus leaves.

I also remember being sent out for potato starch. Couldn't find potato
starch so I bought corn starch. I was told that would not do and had to go
out again for potato starch. The recipe above calls for corn starch. 8^(

Don't send e-mail to

Darrell Grainger

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Alison wrote:

> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?

Hi Alison,

I know what you are talking about. My mother-in-law makes it. Actually, if
the pack is square in shape it is probably lotus leaves. If it is
trianglar in shape then it is probably bamboo leaves.

You should be able find them at a chinese grocery store. If you are in the
Toronto area there is a supermarket called T&T located on Bathurst north
of Steeles (they are in the Promenade Mall, north side). They would have
the lotus leaves. Actually, they have the stuff already prepared so you
just need to steam it.

The only thing I know about making the dish is that you have to soak the
leaves before you wrap the ingredients. You can make it with all kinds of
different ingredients. It is usually sticky rice filled with something.
Traditional combinations are red bean paste, red bean paste and a salty
duck egg yolk or pork and shitake mushrooms.

I'm not sure if my mother-in-law is willing to part with her recipe but I
would imagine there are recipes out there for it...

Just did a quick search on www.google.ca and found the following link:
http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe037.htm. Don't know how good
this is. This recipe indicates that you can use aluminum foil instead of
lotus leaves. My wife tells me that it will absolutely change the dish if
you did not use lotus leaves.

I also remember being sent out for potato starch. Couldn't find potato
starch so I bought corn starch. I was told that would not do and had to go
out again for potato starch. The recipe above calls for corn starch. 8^(

Don't send e-mail to
Katra

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Alison" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> > thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> > wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> > really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> > home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> > leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alison

> That's one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the
> lotus leaves even though there are quite a few oriental shops around here. I
> do not think foil would work because I think the recipe involves putting
> raw - or maybe partly cooked -ingredients in the leaf and simmering or
> steaming for a long time. You do not eat the leaf, of course, but things
> will not cook the same in foil. But, maybe someone who has actually tried it
> will know better.
>
> Peter

What about substituting corn husks?
Easy to get.

Just an idea! :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

Katra

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Alison" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> > thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> > wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> > really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> > home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> > leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alison

> That's one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have not been able to find the
> lotus leaves even though there are quite a few oriental shops around here. I
> do not think foil would work because I think the recipe involves putting
> raw - or maybe partly cooked -ingredients in the leaf and simmering or
> steaming for a long time. You do not eat the leaf, of course, but things
> will not cook the same in foil. But, maybe someone who has actually tried it
> will know better.
>
> Peter

What about substituting corn husks?
Easy to get.

Just an idea! :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

kilikini

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> >Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> >> wrapped up in a lotus leaf.

> This has prompted a vague memory-
>
> I had something last time that was new to me....the package was about palm
> sized- the rice inside had turned a bit brownish/green from the leaf, and

> thought maybe it was a tea leaf. But I have no idea if a tea leaf can even

grow
> that big! Could it have been a lotus leaf? It was very tasty. How big is

this
> item you're describing?
>
> -Jen
>
> -Jen
>

> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Ti leaves can get quite large! I had a tree outside my window at my old
house that had leaves about 3 feet long and about 8 inches wide. People
used to come over and pay me to take my leaves for use in leis.

kili

kilikini

"JLove98905" > wrote in message
> >Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> >> wrapped up in a lotus leaf.

> This has prompted a vague memory-
>
> I had something last time that was new to me....the package was about palm
> sized- the rice inside had turned a bit brownish/green from the leaf, and

> thought maybe it was a tea leaf. But I have no idea if a tea leaf can even

grow
> that big! Could it have been a lotus leaf? It was very tasty. How big is

this
> item you're describing?
>
> -Jen
>
> -Jen
>

> Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Ti leaves can get quite large! I had a tree outside my window at my old
house that had leaves about 3 feet long and about 8 inches wide. People
used to come over and pay me to take my leaves for use in leis.

kili

Peter Aitken

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:
>
> > "Alison" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> > > thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> > > wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> > > really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> > > home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> > > leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alison

> > That's one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have not been able to find

the
> > lotus leaves even though there are quite a few oriental shops around

here. I
> > do not think foil would work because I think the recipe involves putting
> > raw - or maybe partly cooked -ingredients in the leaf and simmering or
> > steaming for a long time. You do not eat the leaf, of course, but things
> > will not cook the same in foil. But, maybe someone who has actually

tried it
> > will know better.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> What about substituting corn husks?
> Easy to get.
>
> Just an idea! :-)

They are too small. To make the Chinese sticky rice "packaets" you need a
leaf that is at least a foot across.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Katra" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:
>
> > "Alison" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
> > > thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
> > > wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
> > > really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
> > > home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
> > > leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Alison

> > That's one of my favorites. Unfortunately I have not been able to find

the
> > lotus leaves even though there are quite a few oriental shops around

here. I
> > do not think foil would work because I think the recipe involves putting
> > raw - or maybe partly cooked -ingredients in the leaf and simmering or
> > steaming for a long time. You do not eat the leaf, of course, but things
> > will not cook the same in foil. But, maybe someone who has actually

tried it
> > will know better.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> What about substituting corn husks?
> Easy to get.
>
> Just an idea! :-)

They are too small. To make the Chinese sticky rice "packaets" you need a
leaf that is at least a foot across.

--
Peter Aitken

Draarwen Littlestich

I think the reason why lotus leaves are used is for the flavor and aroma! It
wouldn't be the same dish with foil, banana, taro ir ti leaves!!

--
Draarwen Littlestich of Mosskirk

Darrell Grainger wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Alison wrote:
>
>> Went to this dim sum place for lunch the other day, and I tried a new
>> thing (new for me, at least!).. Some kinda sticky rice with pork
>> wrapped up in a lotus leaf. It was really nice, and the lotus leaf
>> really gave it this special aroma. Has anyone tried making this at
>> home ever? Any recipes to share for this? What if I cant find lotus
>> leaves in the local oriental store, can I just use some foil instead?

> Hi Alison,
>
> I know what you are talking about. My mother-in-law makes it.
> Actually, if the pack is square in shape it is probably lotus leaves.
> If it is trianglar in shape then it is probably bamboo leaves.
>
> You should be able find them at a chinese grocery store. If you are
> in the Toronto area there is a supermarket called T&T located on
> Bathurst north of Steeles (they are in the Promenade Mall, north
> side). They would have the lotus leaves. Actually, they have the
> stuff already prepared so you just need to steam it.
>
> The only thing I know about making the dish is that you have to soak
> the leaves before you wrap the ingredients. You can make it with all
> kinds of different ingredients. It is usually sticky rice filled with
> something. Traditional combinations are red bean paste, red bean
> paste and a salty duck egg yolk or pork and shitake mushrooms.
>
> I'm not sure if my mother-in-law is willing to part with her recipe
> but I would imagine there are recipes out there for it...
>
> Just did a quick search on www.google.ca and found the following link:
> http://chinesefood.about.com/library/blrecipe037.htm. Don't know how
> good this is. This recipe indicates that you can use aluminum foil
> instead of lotus leaves. My wife tells me that it will absolutely
> change the dish if you did not use lotus leaves.
>
> I also remember being sent out for potato starch. Couldn't find potato
> starch so I bought corn starch. I was told that would not do and had
> to go out again for potato starch. The recipe above calls for corn
> starch. 8^(

Draarwen Littlestich