FERRANTE

Default Hollandaise/Bearnaise on what?

I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.

What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
each. Also, what are others you can use them with?

Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the jar
and placed with the foods?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante

FERRANTE wrote:
> I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
> know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
> jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.
>
> What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
> each. Also, what are others you can use them with?

The classic use of Bearnaise sauce is with grilled beef, like filet
mignon, strip steak.

Hollandaise is versatile, and is delicious used in Eggs Benedict
(muffin, ham, poached egg, topped with Hollandaise). Also excellent
with steamed asparagus.

> Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the

jar
> and placed with the foods?

Heated up, but gently. If there are no instructions on the jar I
suggest uncapping the jar and heating in simmering water (i.e., leave
sauce in the jar).

These jarred sauces may be pretty good but someday when you're in a
very good restaurant try the restaurant's Bearnaise or Hollandaise. Or
try making your own; not difficult but does require a little patience.

Mac

pctech

I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/def=ADault.aspx?ref=3D59054

Thanks in advance.

jmcquown

FERRANTE wrote:
> I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
> know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
> jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.
>
> What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
> each. Also, what are others you can use them with?
>
> Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the jar
> and placed with the foods?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante

For Hollandaise, steamed or grilled asparagus spears. For Bernaise, spread
it roast beef.

Jill

jmcquown

pctech wrote:
> I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
> help if you can by using my referal link:
> http://www.pctech4free.com/def*ault.aspx?ref=59054
>
> Thanks in advance.

Go away! We aren't going to help you buy a friggin laptop. You've been
told this before. If GOD wants you to have a laptop, he'll drop one in your
lap.

Jill

Dimitri

"pctech" > wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/def*ault.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.

To hell with the laptop - enjoy the outdoors and pay attention to the kids.

You have the rest of your life to look at a computer screen,

Dimitri

Maverick

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
> know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
> jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.
>
> What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
> each. Also, what are others you can use them with?
>
> Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the jar
> and placed with the foods?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante

Heat up the Béarnaise sauce and mix in a can of crab meat and then put that
on top of a medium rare strip steak. Steak Oscar, IIRC is the name of the
recipe. I wish I could find béarnaise sauce in a jar around here so I could
make Steak Oscar. Of course, I need to learn how to make béarnaise sauce
myself but that's a whole different topic.

As far as hollandaise though, you have lots of options. Eggs Benedict. On
fresh asparagus. By the spoonful. I'm sure others will have more ideas.

Bret

Marc Wolfe

"Maverick" > wrote in message
> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>>I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
>> know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
>> jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.

Hollandaise is a warm emulsion of egg yolks and butter with a dash of acid
added. Traditionally a mild white wine vinegar or lemon. I've had good
luck with lime juice, da Missus prefers orange juice, which make it
Maltaise.

Bernaise is essentially Hollandaise with a vinegar-shallot-pepper reduction
and tarragon added.

>> What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
>> each. Also, what are others you can use them with?

As others have said, Bernaise is traditionally used with beef. Tournedos
(medallions) of beef filet topped with Bernaise is probably the most famous
use. You can top any good steak cut with Bernaise but IMO it works best with
the tender but relatively tasteless cuts from the tenderloin. You could
also try it with a firm white fish filet or steak.

Hollandaise is probably most famous in eggs benedict - try substituting nova
lox for the canadian bacon and you've got eggs norwegian. Hollandaise works
well with steamed green vegetables.

Whenever I make hollandaise I always wind up with a little left over,
perhaps a 1/4 cup. Let the hollandaise cool to the point where it's
workable. Scoop into balls using a melon baller and refrigerate. Serve
with fresh grilled corn on the cob.

>> Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the jar
>> and placed with the foods?

Warm water bath, in the jars. Open jars and let sit in barely simmering
water. Most of the jarred sauces I'm familiar with (and since I make from
scratch I'm not that familiar) have stabilizers added so they'll take more
heat than a home made version but they'll still break if you're not careful.

For those of you who are interested in making your own but feeling
intimidated by the prospect, go to google groups and search on my posting
handle plus hollandaise. There was a thread 12-15 months ago where I posted
a quick 'n easy method for making hollandaise. Others chimed in with their
methods, making it a fairly definitive hollandaise primer.

Best,

Marc

Rick & Cyndi

"FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
> know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
> jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.
>
> What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
> each. Also, what are others you can use them with?
>
> Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the jar
> and placed with the foods?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark Ferrante

==============

While I haven't had them out of a jar, I can vouch that, freshly made, they
are both good and my preference is the Bearnaise!

Some traditional foods that both can be used on a

Eggs - poached and/or Benedict
Halibut - YUM!
Globe Artichokes
Spoons
Fingers...

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"Maverick" > wrote in message
> "FERRANTE" > wrote in message
>>I recently purchased two sauces, in jars, to try out, but I need to
>> know what they are intended for? I bought a jar of Hollandaise and a
>> jar of Bearnaise sauces. I've heard of both but never tasted either.
>>
>> What are the main foods (must trys) that I should use when trying
>> each. Also, what are others you can use them with?
>>
>> Also, should these sauces be heated up, or just spooned out of the jar
>> and placed with the foods?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark Ferrante

> Heat up the Béarnaise sauce and mix in a can of crab meat and then put
> that on top of a medium rare strip steak. Steak Oscar, IIRC is the name
> of the recipe. I wish I could find béarnaise sauce in a jar around here
> so I could make Steak Oscar. Of course, I need to learn how to make
> béarnaise sauce myself but that's a whole different topic.
>
> As far as hollandaise though, you have lots of options. Eggs Benedict.
> On fresh asparagus. By the spoonful. I'm sure others will have more
> ideas.
>
> Bret

=========================

Here is the recipe that I use. It's simply and extremely delicious!
Bearnaise Sauce

2 TBSP Red Wine Vinegar
1 1/2 tsp chopped Green Onion ( or shallots)
1 1/2 tsp Tarragon
1/8 tsp cracked Black Pepper
4 Egg yolks
3/4 cup Butter, softened
1 TBSP Parsley

1. In top of a double-boiler (d-b), combine first 4 ingredients.
Over high heat, heat to boiling. Boil until vinegar is reduced
in half.

2. Place top of d-b unit over bottom unit with hot, not boiling,
water. Add yolks, and cook, beating constantly with whisk until
slightly thickened.

3. Add butter, about 2 TBSP at a time, beating constantly with
whisk, until butter is melted and mixture is thickened. Stir in
parsley.

REC: Salmon with Bearnaise Sauce koko General Cooking 11 09-08-2014 06:55 AM
Bearnaise video graham General Cooking 0 09-07-2010 08:36 PM
Bearnaise Sauce sf General Cooking 0 21-05-2006 03:13 AM
Bearnaise Sauce Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:29 PM
Bearnaise Sauce Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 02-01-2005 01:29 PM