Meridith Merck

Default Healthy pasta

I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added nutrition.
But I don't want one that's gritty or tastes like cardboard or whatever
other pitfalls you get. I know, picky picky, but if anyone has a good
suggestion, that would be great!
TIA
Dimitri

"Meridith Merck" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added nutrition.
> But I don't want one that's gritty or tastes like cardboard or whatever
> other pitfalls you get. I know, picky picky, but if anyone has a good
> suggestion, that would be great!
> TIA

What in the world in unhealthy pasta?

At least we'll have a reference point.

Dimitri

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Meridith Merck
> wrote:

> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added nutrition.
> But I don't want one that's gritty or tastes like cardboard or whatever
> other pitfalls you get. I know, picky picky, but if anyone has a good
> suggestion, that would be great!
> TIA

I'm looking at whole wheat spaghetti and egg noodles. They're both high
fiber per serving. Two ounces (one serving) of cooked whole wheat
spaghetti amounts to a half cup. A half cup. I weighed and measured.
Sauce will help its taste.

I couldn't taste any difference in the egg noodles. They're great.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
carbuff

Sophia Loren, who, in her 70s is still one of the sexiest women on the
planet, was quoted as saying "Everything I am, I owe to pasta" (or words
to that effect - I'm going from memory from leafing thru US magazine in the
checkstand @ Safeway)
YMMV

"Meridith Merck" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added nutrition.
> But I don't want one that's gritty or tastes like cardboard or whatever
> other pitfalls you get. I know, picky picky, but if anyone has a good
> suggestion, that would be great!
> TIA

aem

Meridith Merck wrote:
> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added
> nutrition. [snip]

Why, for god's sake? If you need nutrients that aren't supplied by
semolina flour, then eat some other foods. There is nothing whatsoever
unhealthy about pasta to begin with. If you have a wheat allergy,
don't eat it. Otherwise, what's the problem?

Most of the dried pasta available in supermarkets (US, anyway) is
"enriched" macaroni product. Meaning it has been sprayed with a
liquefied vitamin mixture, the same way 'they' decided to do decades
ago with rice. A package from my cupboard says niacin, iron, B
vitamins and folic acid.

Why, here or with rice, I have no clue. Maybe they are trying for what
you call "healthy pasta". In that case, your quest is already
achieved. Of course, all those sprayed-on vitamins might boil away
into the pasta cooking water, making the whole exercise pretty stupid.
But I don't know, and who cares, anyway? Ignorant and apathetic, when
it comes to so-called 'healthy' and so-called 'enriched' foods, that's
me.

-aem

JimLane

aem wrote:
> Meridith Merck wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added
>>nutrition. [snip]

> Why, for god's sake? If you need nutrients that aren't supplied by
> semolina flour, then eat some other foods. There is nothing whatsoever
> unhealthy about pasta to begin with. If you have a wheat allergy,
> don't eat it. Otherwise, what's the problem?
>
> Most of the dried pasta available in supermarkets (US, anyway) is
> "enriched" macaroni product. Meaning it has been sprayed with a
> liquefied vitamin mixture, the same way 'they' decided to do decades
> ago with rice. A package from my cupboard says niacin, iron, B
> vitamins and folic acid.
>
> Why, here or with rice, I have no clue. Maybe they are trying for what
> you call "healthy pasta". In that case, your quest is already
> achieved. Of course, all those sprayed-on vitamins might boil away
> into the pasta cooking water, making the whole exercise pretty stupid.
> But I don't know, and who cares, anyway? Ignorant and apathetic, when
> it comes to so-called 'healthy' and so-called 'enriched' foods, that's
> me.
>
> -aem

Gotta hunch this looks like the OP may be on a "low carb" troll.
Hopefully not.

jim
Sheldon

Meridith Merck wrote:
> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added

nutrition.

Meridith Merck... what a nice Profesional name... I got yer healthy
sauce, and it's a quickie...

LINGUINE WITH PUTTANESCA SAUCE

Puttanesca sauce is normally cooked, but we developed a quick and easy
version that doesn't require cooking.
Active time: 30 min Start to finish: 30 min

1 lb beefsteak tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons drained bottled capers, chopped
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
4 anchovy fillets, patted dry and finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb dried linguine

Stir together all ingredients except linguine in a large bowl.

Cook linguine in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling salted water until al
dente. Reserve 1 cup cooking water and drain linguine in a colander.

Add hot linguine and 1/3 cup pasta cooking water to sauce and toss to
coat, adding more water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper.

Gourmet
August 2003

Sheldon

Zywicki

Check out this magazine:

http://www.eatingwell.com/articles_r...hive/fm_05.htm

Some good brands. I wish I could tell you which one we've tried - a
yellow and red box is all
I remember. It is good. Hearty and wheaty, but not gritty.

Greg Zywicki

Food For Thought

There is nothing whatsoever
unhealthy about pasta to begin with. If you have a wheat allergy,
don't eat it. Otherwise, what's the problem?

Diabetics needs to stay away from it. whole wheat pasta...I have
tried them and I can't stand them. I tried a "whole wheat blend" pasta
and it gave my tummy a "run" for its money. Not sure why...maybe too
much fiber. Anyway, the texture's just all off for me. No matter how
long I cook it, it still tastes weird on my palate.

~~birdluvr~~

Hello Meredith..
Seems you only asked a simple health food question & got insulted for
asking..i am sorry..as i took your question i think you are looking for
something that would be found in a health food store or organic section
in a grocery store. SInce i love pasta i have tried just about
everything from muellers to barillia to the expensive $4 types of pasta
in the gourmet stores etc....in my searches i have also tried a pasta
named Dreamfields Pasta..found at a local grocery store here in
Florida...
It tastes great & is low carb with only 5 grams of digestible
carbs...texture & taste the same as any good italian pasta. The
imported pastas are the best & Barilla is my favorite though. Good luck
& happy eating

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 13:43:07 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >, Meridith Merck
> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a "healthy pasta". You know, one with added nutrition.
>> But I don't want one that's gritty or tastes like cardboard or whatever
>> other pitfalls you get. I know, picky picky, but if anyone has a good
>> suggestion, that would be great!
>> TIA

>I'm looking at whole wheat spaghetti and egg noodles. They're both high
>fiber per serving. Two ounces (one serving) of cooked whole wheat
>spaghetti amounts to a half cup. A half cup. I weighed and measured.
>Sauce will help its taste.

I prefer whole wheat now to the regular pasta.
The Catelli Healthy Havest brand is quite good.
Has a bit more of a nutty flavour/wheat flavour.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
aem

~~birdluvr~~ wrote:
> Hello Meredith..
> Seems you only asked a simple health food question & got insulted for
> asking..i am sorry..as i took your question i think you are looking

for
> something that would be found in a health food store or organic

section
> in a grocery store. [snip]

You see, the problem is that the OP didn't ask a "simple health food
question." As the range of answers shows, no one knew what the problem
was that was asked to be solved. One thought it was nutritional, one
thought it was a wheat allergy, one thought it was diabetes, you
apparently thought it was low carbs or digestible carbs. And the OP
never clarified.

It's like saying, "I'm on a diet, what are good foods to eat?" You'd
get answers from abalone to zabaglione, and a bunch of insults, too.

-aem

Siobhan Perricone

On 11 Mar 2005 08:37:42 -0800, "Food For Thought" >
wrote:

> There is nothing whatsoever
>unhealthy about pasta to begin with. If you have a wheat allergy,
>don't eat it. Otherwise, what's the problem?
>
>Diabetics needs to stay away from it. whole wheat pasta...I have
>tried them and I can't stand them. I tried a "whole wheat blend" pasta
>and it gave my tummy a "run" for its money. Not sure why...maybe too
>much fiber. Anyway, the texture's just all off for me. No matter how
>long I cook it, it still tastes weird on my palate.

Dreamfields pasta is low carb and tastes like normal pasta. I love the
stuff. They sell it in all my local grocery stores.
http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
Food For Thought

>Dreamfields pasta is low carb

So they say. I've had it. It's not bad, but there's a definite
difference in texture. They use a food gum in it. And...it does spike
insulin in some people, so the jury's still out on just how low carb it
is. There aren't any major studies being done on these low carb foods
so it can't be regulated yet. Here's a thread from egullet:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?...hl=Dreamfields

Siobhan Perricone

On 12 Mar 2005 08:30:25 -0800, "Food For Thought" >
wrote:

>>Dreamfields pasta is low carb

>So they say.

I always spike badly with pasta, I never spike with Dreamfields. They've
developed a process that sorta encapsulates the carbs so they're not
digested. The Mendosa site has a lot of good information about it.

>I've had it. It's not bad, but there's a definite
>difference in texture.

Maybe you overcook it. It definately tastes different if it's overcooked,
but al dente, no one in my house (which includes and Italian-American who
was raised on pasta) can tell the difference.

--
Siobhan Perricone
"I ain't afraid of your Yahweh
I ain't afraid of your Allah
I ain't afraid of your Jesus
I'm afraid of what ya do in the name of your god"
- Holly Near

Steve Pope

Food For Thought > wrote:

>>Dreamfields pasta is low carb

>So they say. I've had it. It's not bad, but there's a definite
>difference in texture. They use a food gum in it. And...it does spike
>insulin in some people, so the jury's still out on just how low carb it
>is.

Many such products are made from wheat that has been fractionated,
with the smaller starch molecules then combined into larger,
cellulose-like fibers. They do not have to reveal this chemical
process on the label.

You're better of just using whole wheat pasta (which has improved,
Trader Joe's whole wheat penne is not bad), or if you prefer
spelt or kamut pasta from a natural foods store.

Steve
Zywicki

"Some good brands. I wish I could tell you which one we've tried - a
yellow and red box is all
I remember. It is good. Hearty and wheaty, but not gritty."

Greg Zywicki

De Boles. It was De Boles. Good stuff.

Greg Zywicki