Karen AKA Kajikit

Default looking for good dessert recipes for two

I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
night...
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply
Boron Elgar

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:25:54 -0500, Karen AKA Kajikit
> wrote:

>I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
>The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
>week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
>going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
>night...
>~Karen aka Kajikit
>Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
>http://www.kajikitscorner.com
>*remove 'nospam' to reply

Ice cream is always easy to portion out, as are any other frozen
desserts. Cookies can be kept in the freezer, too, either baked or
unbaked. Many cakes and brownies freeze well, but you need to
experiment a bit with your favorite recipes to see which do best.

Most fresh or frozen fruit you have in the house can be easily
sweetened, if needed, and fancied up with cream, creme fraiche, or
whipped cream. Fresh fruit is always lovely on its own, too.

If you are looking for things that are a bit less sweet, try some fine
cheese and a small piece of fruit, such as apple slices or some
grapes.

Sometimes adding some sugar (or sweetener) to a cup of rich coffee,
along with a spoon of unsweetened cocoa and some milk or cream, will
provide just enough sweetness to calm the munchies, without causing
too much damage. Foam the milk, if you like, and sprinkle the cup with
more cocoa or cinnamon.

Boron
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Karen AKA
Kajikit > wrote:

> I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
> The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
> week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
> going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
> night...
> ~Karen aka Kajikit

Karen, why couldn't you simply cut the cobbler recipe in half? Cake?
Make cupcakes and freeze the uneaten ones to be thawed at will. I'm
thinking that, generally speaking, the freezer plan will be your friend.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.
Bronwyn

There's just two of us here too. We don't have dessert everynight -
maybe once or twice a week. Usually I cut up some fresh seasonal fruit
- this week juicy nectarines and grapes.
Desserts vary - stone fruit poached in white wine and served with a
little cream or good quality icecream.
My DH loves apple flan/pies, so I make a small one (6 or 7in) so we are
not eating it for 4 nights!
Use ready rolled frozen puff pastry and stamp out a 6in circle and make
a little French flan with fruit thinly sliced and popped into a hot
oven.
I think what you US folk call 'cobbler' we call 'trifle'. You can make
individual ones.
We entertain friends for dinner maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks, so I
make sure I do something really interesting.
Cheers
Bronwyn
Qld Oz

Dimitri

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
> The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
> week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
> going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
> night...
> ~Karen aka Kajikit

I would suggest several different sorbets made from fruit - a lot less fat
than ice cream top with some fresh fruit or frozen berries.

Do you like Jell-O - the sugar free is pretty tasty especially if you add
some fruit.

Smart One's (frozen food section) had some decent ice cream that are low in
WW points.

Dimitri
..

Melba's Jammin'

In article .com>,
"Bronwyn" > wrote:
(snip)
> I think what you US folk call 'cobbler' we call 'trifle'. You can
> make individual ones.
> Cheers
> Bronwyn
> Qld Oz

Cobbler's a baked dessert, Bronwyn. Basically, it's a fruit
sort-of-sauce topped with biscuit dough and baked. I know trifle to be
a layered-type dessert with sponge cake, fruit, whipping cream, booze.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sweet Potato Follies added 2/24/05.

Poached pears (Wine or apple cider make good poaching liquids) are
wonderful, and they can be served in any company, with no apologies to
anyone. Baked apples are also good, and you can tell yourself they're
good for you.

I too love dessert, but hate wearing it. Alas, if a form of food is
bad for me, I'm pretty sure to like it. And if it's high fat, high
cholesterol and high calorie all at once, I'm pretty much guaranteed to
adore it.

Melissa

Jean B.

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> I'm still not used to cooking for two instead of four-with-leftovers!
> The peach cobbler I made last night is delicious but it's enough for a
> week! I need some smaller recipes please or our waistlines are really
> going to suffer, because my hubby likes to have a little dessert every
> night...
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

Aha! There is a new cookbook, "Small-Batch Baking" by Debby
Mauganas Nakos. I was afraid this was just going to be gimicky,
but the author does have some credentials, and many of the recipes
look good. The downside is that many of the baking pans she uses
are pretty hard to find. Some have to be gotten online. She also
likes to bake cakes in cans....

--
Jean B.

dessert recipes tan Recipes 1 01-12-2011 05:16 AM
Dessert -- GOOD INGREDIENTS IN... Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 0 25-11-2010 03:29 PM
Dessert recipes Food Snob® General Cooking 5 27-04-2009 11:23 PM
any good condom dessert recipes? ode de sweat General Cooking 3 26-04-2007 09:51 PM
Vegan Dessert Recipes???? Mandy Legein Vegan 3 23-05-2006 01:42 AM