Nobody

Default Vegetarian cookbook for a meat-lover

I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological agenda;
I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet. If
anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
meat-eater might like, please post them.

Thanks.

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"Nobody" > wrote:

> I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological agenda;
> I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet. If
> anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
> meat-eater might like, please post them.
>
> Thanks.

These are a couple that work in our omnivorous household:

The New Vegetarian Epicure, by Anna Thomas
Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (try the black bean and sweet
potato burritos!)
a revised version of the Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen (the
1970's era version was chock full of fat)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Gregory Toomey

Nobody wrote:

> I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological
> agenda; I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the
> planet. If anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook
> that a meat-eater might like, please post them.
>
> Thanks.

Not a cookbook, but try your local Hari Krishna restaurant.
The are usually called "Govindas".
eg http://www.govindasvegetarianrestaurant.org/

For a meat eater, they dont serve rabbit food.

gtoomey
TheAlligator

"Nobody" > wrote:

>I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological agenda;
>I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet. If
>anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
>meat-eater might like, please post them.

This may only be a little off topic, but - I am SUPPOSED to be on a
low-protein diet. This is very hard for a committed carnivore like
myself and I can only say I have cut down on meat a little, not
enough. But my wife actually found a recipe for a BBQ'd firm tofu
sandwich. She cooked it and gave it to me without comment. It was
excellent. If you like, I'll see if I can find it, but IIRC, it's
simply firm tofu sliced and patted dry, browned in canola oil, basted
with your favorite sauce and served on a whole wheat bun with your
choice of stuff.
TheAlligator

Forgot something - despite my apprehension, grilled portabella
sandwiches not only replace burgers, they actually do taste even
better.

KatieB

Vegetarian Planet, and Entertaining at Veggie Planet, both by Didi
Emmons

The Voluptuous Vegan, by Myra Kornfeld

A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen, by Jack Bishop (of the Cooks
Illustrated TV show)

These are sophisticated books with strong flavors...none of the mushy
vegetarian standards. All good for non-vegetarians. You can adapt most
of the recipes to include a little meat or fish, but actually you will
find that it isn't necessary. Look up the reviews on Amazon.

I like Anna Thomas too (suggested by previous poster) and I have all
three of her books, although I find the books above a little more
adventurous. I have all the Moosewood books although I don't use them
much.

Frankly, I am happy to cook fish and would be happy to cook any game
that came my way, but I have lost interest in cooking supermarket meat
and chicken. My husband calls us flexegarians. We'll eat anything that
is served us at a dinner party but what we cook ourselves is another
issue.

The Cook

"Nobody" > wrote:

>I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological agenda;
>I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet. If
>anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
>meat-eater might like, please post them.
>
>Thanks.

Try any of Deborah Madison's books.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Peter Aitken

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> "Nobody" > wrote:
>
>>I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological
>>agenda;
>>I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet.
>>If
>>anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
>>meat-eater might like, please post them.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

> Try any of Deborah Madison's books.
>
> --

I think the original question "a good vegetarian cookbook that a meat-eater
might like" is a mistake. Liking or not liking meat does not come into the
picture as far as I am concerned. I am a devoted carnivore but make
vegetarian dinners 2-3 times a week. This is real vegetarian, so no fish,
shellfish, etc. A vegetarian dish is successful not because it appeals to my
liking for meat but simply because it is a good dish in its own right. My 2
favorite veg cookbooks are The Vegetarian Epicure (both volumes) and the
Moosewood Cookbook.

Peter Aitken

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:09:09 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"The Cook" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "Nobody" > wrote:
>>
>>>I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological
>>>agenda;
>>>I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet.
>>>If
>>>anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
>>>meat-eater might like, please post them.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>> Try any of Deborah Madison's books.
>>
>> --

>I think the original question "a good vegetarian cookbook that a meat-eater
>might like" is a mistake. Liking or not liking meat does not come into the
>picture as far as I am concerned. I am a devoted carnivore but make
>vegetarian dinners 2-3 times a week. This is real vegetarian, so no fish,
>shellfish, etc. A vegetarian dish is successful not because it appeals to my
>liking for meat but simply because it is a good dish in its own right. My 2
>favorite veg cookbooks are The Vegetarian Epicure (both volumes) and the
>Moosewood Cookbook.
>
>Peter Aitken

Agree 100%. Forget imitation meat and the like, but lots of pasta
sauces are vegetarian by nature. . . pesto, tomato basil, garlic and
oil. Olives, capers, tomatoes, herbs, eggplant, bitter greens, all
can contribute to a pasta dish. Many can be fixed in teh time it takes
the pasta water to boil.

I count anchovies as one of the standby ingredients, but I left them
out above.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas

Lena B Katz

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:09:09 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:

>>> Try any of Deborah Madison's books.
>>>
>>> --

>> I think the original question "a good vegetarian cookbook that a meat-eater
>> might like" is a mistake. Liking or not liking meat does not come into the
>> picture as far as I am concerned. I am a devoted carnivore but make
>> vegetarian dinners 2-3 times a week. This is real vegetarian, so no fish,
>> shellfish, etc. A vegetarian dish is successful not because it appeals to my
>> liking for meat but simply because it is a good dish in its own right. My 2
>> favorite veg cookbooks are The Vegetarian Epicure (both volumes) and the
>> Moosewood Cookbook.

I don't think the original questin is a mistake. not knowing the
subculture, someone might easily feel hurt and attacked by statements
within vegitarian propaganda.

otoh, eating less meat is a good thing.

recommend mozarella, mustard and munster macaroni and cheese.

lena
Nobody

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks.

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nobody" > wrote:
>
>> I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological
>> agenda;
>> I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet.
>> If
>> anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
>> meat-eater might like, please post them.
>>
>> Thanks.

> These are a couple that work in our omnivorous household:
>
> The New Vegetarian Epicure, by Anna Thomas
> Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites (try the black bean and sweet
> potato burritos!)
> a revised version of the Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen (the
> 1970's era version was chock full of fat)
>
> Cindy
>
> --
> C.J. Fuller
>
> Delete the obvious to email me

I recommend The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook by Jack Bishop. If
you look at the Amazon reviews, you will see many people who recommend
the book for non-vegetarians. It's been my favorite cookbook for the
past year, everything I've made has been exceptional.

kalanamak

The Cook wrote:

> Try any of Deborah Madison's books.

Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone

is the Joy of Cooking for veggie cooking. Something for everyone. Never
had a flop.
blacksalt
veggie for nearly 33 years

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:09:27 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

>"Nobody" > wrote:
>
>>I am interested in trying vegetarian cooking. I have no ideological agenda;
>>I like meat, I like to hunt and fish. I am not trying to save the planet. If
>>anyone has any recommendations for a good vegetarian cookbook that a
>>meat-eater might like, please post them.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>Try any of Deborah Madison's books.

I second that. I am a committed omnivore. I _love_ the recipes in her
"Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone". Flavourful, tasty and darned good
for you.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario