jacqui{JB}

Default How are Bacon Bits made?

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?

Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
rolled and chopped or crumbled.

> Can people make them at home?

You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).

Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/

-j

jacqui{JB}

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?

Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
rolled and chopped or crumbled.

> Can people make them at home?

You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).

Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/

-j

First you catch a bacon..........

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> How are Bacon Bits made?
>> What are the main ingredients?
>> Do they actually contain meat?

> Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
> crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
> rolled and chopped or crumbled.
>
>> Can people make them at home?

> You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
> superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
> additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).
>
> Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
> http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
> http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
> http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/
>
> -j

First you catch a bacon..........

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> How are Bacon Bits made?
>> What are the main ingredients?
>> Do they actually contain meat?

> Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
> crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
> rolled and chopped or crumbled.
>
>> Can people make them at home?

> You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
> superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
> additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).
>
> Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
> http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
> http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
> http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/
>
> -j

sorry.. I couldn't resist.

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> How are Bacon Bits made?
>> What are the main ingredients?
>> Do they actually contain meat?

> Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
> crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
> rolled and chopped or crumbled.
>
>> Can people make them at home?

> You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
> superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
> additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).
>
> Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
> http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
> http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
> http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/
>
> -j

sorry.. I couldn't resist.

jacqui{JB} wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> How are Bacon Bits made?
>> What are the main ingredients?
>> Do they actually contain meat?

> Maybe; read the label. If it's real meat, then it's cooked and
> crumbled or chopped. If it's not real meat, then it's extruded or
> rolled and chopped or crumbled.
>
>> Can people make them at home?

> You can certainly crisp-fry thinly sliced bacon and crumble it; a far
> superior solution, particularly if you use decent bacon with minimal
> additives (Smithfield dry-cured bacon comes to mind).
>
> Some amusing and informative links on the subject:
> http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/bacon/bacon.html
> http://www.montrealfood.com/baconbits.html
> http://www.smithfieldhams.com/bacon/
>
> -j

d w a c o n

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

I think the commercial ones are soy with nitrates added... make home made
ones by frying thin sliced bacon extra crispy... drain... then sit in oven
over paper towels for a bit to dry thoroughly... then crumble in your hands.

--
I want my... I want my...
I want my sex TV...

d w a c o n

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

I think the commercial ones are soy with nitrates added... make home made
ones by frying thin sliced bacon extra crispy... drain... then sit in oven
over paper towels for a bit to dry thoroughly... then crumble in your hands.

--
I want my... I want my...
I want my sex TV...
http://tinyurl.com/34h7l

projectile vomit chick

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

They are unusually large feces flakes.

projectile vomit chick

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

They are unusually large feces flakes.

limey

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message >
> Most of the commercial brands (like Hormel) are actually made from
> ham scraps rather than pork bellies (cheaper, makes them less
> fatty, and they're easier to preserve).
>
> The fake crunchy ones are TVP with artificial smoke flavoring.
>
> -sw

Er --- what's TVP?

Dora

limey

"Steve Wertz" wrote in message >
> Most of the commercial brands (like Hormel) are actually made from
> ham scraps rather than pork bellies (cheaper, makes them less
> fatty, and they're easier to preserve).
>
> The fake crunchy ones are TVP with artificial smoke flavoring.
>
> -sw

Er --- what's TVP?

Dora

LAllin

Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them in
the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other companies
that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.

On 20-Mar-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "x-archive:no"
> > wrote:
>
> >The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
> >no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

> There is no brand called "Bacon Bits". You're thinking of
> "Baco's"
>
> -sw

LAllin

Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them in
the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other companies
that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.

On 20-Mar-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "x-archive:no"
> > wrote:
>
> >The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
> >no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

> There is no brand called "Bacon Bits". You're thinking of
> "Baco's"
>
> -sw

LAllin

On 20-Mar-2004, "LAllin" > wrote:
My bad; that should have read: "Actually, Steve, he was pretty close...."

> Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
> Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them
> in
> the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other
> companies
> that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.
>
> On 20-Mar-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "x-archive:no"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
> > >no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

> > There is no brand called "Bacon Bits". You're thinking of
> > "Baco's"

LAllin

On 20-Mar-2004, "LAllin" > wrote:
My bad; that should have read: "Actually, Steve, he was pretty close...."

> Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
> Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them
> in
> the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other
> companies
> that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.
>
> On 20-Mar-2004, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 20:54:23 GMT, "x-archive:no"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >The brand "Bacon Bits" is a soy product, with flavoring. They contain
> > >no meat. I don't know how to make them at home.

> > There is no brand called "Bacon Bits". You're thinking of
> > "Baco's"

projectile vomit chick

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:07:12 GMT, "LAllin" >
> wrote:
>
> >Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
> >Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them

in
> >the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other

companies
> >that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.

> "Imitation Bacon Bits" are a product sold by many manufacturers -
> the most common and popular of which is called "Bacos".
>
> "Bacon Bits" are *not* a brand name. It's a product.

Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
outside of Usenet?

projectile vomit chick

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:07:12 GMT, "LAllin" >
> wrote:
>
> >Actually, Steve was pretty close; he was likely referring to a product of
> >Tone Brothers, labelled Tone Imitation Bacon Bits; I most often see them

in
> >the spice aisle at Sam's Club. There are also at least two other

companies
> >that make Imitation Bacon Bits, Ryt-Way and Marburger.

> "Imitation Bacon Bits" are a product sold by many manufacturers -
> the most common and popular of which is called "Bacos".
>
> "Bacon Bits" are *not* a brand name. It's a product.

Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
outside of Usenet?

zxcvbob

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
> thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
> outside of Usenet?

Oh, the irony.

regards,
bob

--
"May an unclean yak have an accident on your toupee."
-The Great Karnak
zxcvbob

projectile vomit chick wrote:
> Oh, okay O Fat Guru. Lord knows you have to chime in on every ****ing
> thread and have to have the last word, too. Do you actually have a life
> outside of Usenet?

Oh, the irony.

regards,
bob

--
"May an unclean yak have an accident on your toupee."
-The Great Karnak
Laura

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

pig hoof clippings.. gives them some crunch too..

If you have a pig at home..just give him a pedicure this afternoon...

--
Laura

Laura

> wrote in message
> How are Bacon Bits made?
> What are the main ingredients?
> Do they actually contain meat?
> Can people make them at home?
>
> Thanks for all info.

pig hoof clippings.. gives them some crunch too..

If you have a pig at home..just give him a pedicure this afternoon...

--
Laura

drag bits, step drag bits, chevron drag bits, API Reg thread dragbits, API IF thread drag bits, Arod thread drag bits, Nrod thread drag bits,2-wings drag bits, 3-wings drag bits, 4-wings drag bits, carbide drag bits,PDC drag bits, clay bits Jack[_10_] Baking 0 02-06-2009 03:02 AM
Making real bacon bits... Omelet General Cooking 144 18-02-2007 05:00 PM
Making Bacon Bits Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 7 10-07-2006 04:34 AM
Making Bacon Bits Andy General Cooking 3 10-07-2006 04:31 AM
Carbonara with bacon...bits? Ferrante General Cooking 45 12-10-2003 01:10 AM