Grismalkin

Default Dearborn Ham? New on old subject

I'm sorry, but things are awry here and it's hard to read posts. Right now, I
am able to read some posts from the 18th of January and from today. That wacky
aol....

I did notice a post about serving ham for a buffet at work or something
similar. All sorts of mention about different hams. If I served ham for a
work buffet I would just get good sliced ham from a deli. The folks won't mind
it on their sandwiches. I served that, among other things, at an open house I
had last year and there was none left.

The other day I cooked one of those grocery store spiral-cut hams. Actually,
it was very good. I was dubious about glazing it with the stuff in the packet
that came with it, but it was fine. I just baked it to warm it and that was
all. I can't wait to get to the hambone and make some Senate bean soup. Ham
salad or deviled ham tomorrow! Already made corn chowder.

But the Dearborn bit confused me. I was raised in Dearborn and was there last
June, and even went to a Kroger's there. I have never ever heard of Dearborn
ham.
I have heard of a Dearborn Sausage Company. When my mother baked a ham in
Dearborn, it was always a West Virginia ham with the bone in. One thing I
remember about Dearborn was that you could get the pierogies from Kowalski's.
They always had some sort of cheese filling, maybe farmers cheese or cottage
cheese? Must be similar to the pirohies. I know my Lithuanian grandmother
kept farmers cheese in her fridge and it was an odd taste for me as a kid.

No Subject Brooklyn1 General Cooking 0 16-05-2012 08:18 PM
I wonder what Dearborn, Michigan, did for Xmas?? Aussie General Cooking 1 28-12-2010 08:18 AM
(no subject) Stefan Tea 0 23-05-2008 12:57 PM
No Subject AxisOfBeagles Wine 1 18-08-2007 06:26 PM
(no subject) Scott General Cooking 5 14-12-2006 07:18 PM