Tim Challenger

Default Italian Salad Dressing - A Question

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:56:57 GMT, Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Use a little finely chopped fresh garlic and onions instead of the powders?
Tastes better too.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:56:57 GMT, Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Use a little finely chopped fresh garlic and onions instead of the powders?
Tastes better too.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

pavane

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Make it in a blender.

pavane

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Make it in a blender.

Tim Challenger

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:46:33 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

> Forget premixing anything.

Hence the presence of oil and balsamico on restaurant tables in Italy,
rather than a dressing already made up.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Tim Challenger

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:46:33 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:

> Forget premixing anything.

Hence the presence of oil and balsamico on restaurant tables in Italy,
rather than a dressing already made up.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Goomba38

Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Or you could do it simply- rub salad bowl with cut clove of garlic. Add
some chopped green onions to your salad greens. Toss with Olive oil,
balsamic, salt and pepper.. some parmesan is nice too. Maybe a few herbs
adn spices to taste. Forget premixing anything. Usually the proportion
is 2-3 T olive oil to 1 T vinegar.
Goomba

Goomba38

Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Or you could do it simply- rub salad bowl with cut clove of garlic. Add
some chopped green onions to your salad greens. Toss with Olive oil,
balsamic, salt and pepper.. some parmesan is nice too. Maybe a few herbs
adn spices to taste. Forget premixing anything. Usually the proportion
is 2-3 T olive oil to 1 T vinegar.
Goomba

Louis Cohen

Mix up the oil and the spices first - then _slowly_ add the olive oil while
whisking like crazy.

Adding a little mustard will help keep the oil and vinegar together, but
maybe that's too French for what you want.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Louis Cohen

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Mix the water/powders/vinegars first.
That should dissolve the powders.
Then mix in the oil.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:56:57 GMT, Gary > wrote:

>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
>vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
>there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
>imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
>properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
>solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
>Thanks in advance!

<rj>

Mix the water/powders/vinegars first.
That should dissolve the powders.
Then mix in the oil.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:56:57 GMT, Gary > wrote:

>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
>vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
>there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
>imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
>properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
>solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
>Thanks in advance!

<rj>
Dimitri

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Follow the Good Seasons example.

1. Add the dry
2. Add the vinegar
3. Add the water (optional)
4. Shake like hell (or mix)
5. Add the oil
6. Shake again.
7. Serve

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Gary" > wrote in message
> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Follow the Good Seasons example.

1. Add the dry
2. Add the vinegar
3. Add the water (optional)
4. Shake like hell (or mix)
5. Add the oil
6. Shake again.
7. Serve

Dimitri

: Mix up the oil and the spices first - then _slowly_ add the olive oil while
: whisking like crazy.

BZZZZT!
Mix up the _water_ and the spices first - then _slowly_ add the olive oil
while whisking like crazy.

Nancree

Why add water at all? It will prevent the dressing from properly coating the
salad greens.
Nancree
Nancree

Why add water at all? It will prevent the dressing from properly coating the
salad greens.
Nancree
Gary

Default Italian Salad Dressing - A Question: Follow--up to PENMART01

You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
or to plain old white vinegar.

The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
dressing (or plain balsamic).

On 18 Mar 2004 15:56:06 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

> wrote:
>>
>>>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
>>>vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well.

>What makes you think that balsamic vinegar is low carb?
>---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>Sheldon
>````````````
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Gary

You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
or to plain old white vinegar.

The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
dressing (or plain balsamic).

On 18 Mar 2004 15:56:06 GMT, (PENMART01) wrote:

> wrote:
>>
>>>I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
>>>vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well.

>What makes you think that balsamic vinegar is low carb?
>---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>Sheldon
>````````````
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

Sam D.

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
> using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
> or to plain old white vinegar.
>
> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
> dressing (or plain balsamic).

Well, you said this was low-carb, not no carb. I'd stick with the balsamic,
or at least just even it out with wine vinegar. Balsamic vinegar adds a rich
taste to this type of salad dressing.

Making it in a blender or food processor will give a smoother consistency. I
make a similar salad dressing and add a little guar gum powder as an
emulsfier.

Sam D.

"Gary" > wrote in message
news
> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
> using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
> or to plain old white vinegar.
>
> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
> dressing (or plain balsamic).

Well, you said this was low-carb, not no carb. I'd stick with the balsamic,
or at least just even it out with wine vinegar. Balsamic vinegar adds a rich
taste to this type of salad dressing.

Making it in a blender or food processor will give a smoother consistency. I
make a similar salad dressing and add a little guar gum powder as an
emulsfier.

Gary

I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:23:56 -0800, "Sam D." >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message
>news
>> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
>> using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
>> or to plain old white vinegar.
>>
>> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
>> dressing (or plain balsamic).
>>

>Well, you said this was low-carb, not no carb. I'd stick with the balsamic,
>or at least just even it out with wine vinegar. Balsamic vinegar adds a rich
>taste to this type of salad dressing.
>
>Making it in a blender or food processor will give a smoother consistency. I
>make a similar salad dressing and add a little guar gum powder as an
>emulsfier.

Gary

wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message
>news
>> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
>> using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
>> or to plain old white vinegar.
>>
>> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
>> dressing (or plain balsamic).
>>

>Well, you said this was low-carb, not no carb. I'd stick with the balsamic,
>or at least just even it out with wine vinegar. Balsamic vinegar adds a rich
>taste to this type of salad dressing.
>
>Making it in a blender or food processor will give a smoother consistency. I
>make a similar salad dressing and add a little guar gum powder as an
>emulsfier.

Dan Abel

In article >, Gary
> wrote:

> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
> using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
> or to plain old white vinegar.
>
> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
> dressing (or plain balsamic).

I don't think that there would be a whole lot of carbs in a serving of
balsamic vinegar. It isn't in my nutrition database, but cidar vinegar
has 5.9g of carbs for 100g, and distilled vinegar has 5g of carbs for
100g, so I would guess that switching to plain old white vinegar (which is
what distilled vinegar is) would make a negligible difference in carbs. I
would guess that 100g is about 4oz. Balsamic vinegar *is* red wine
vinegar, just a specific type, so I can't imagine that switching those
would help at all.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University

Dan Abel

In article >, Gary
> wrote:

> You're right. I have subsequently found out it has carbs. So I'm
> using up what I have and will switch over to either red wine vinegar
> or to plain old white vinegar.
>
> The thing is, I don't feel cravings, even when I'm eating the balsamic
> dressing (or plain balsamic).

I don't think that there would be a whole lot of carbs in a serving of
balsamic vinegar. It isn't in my nutrition database, but cidar vinegar
has 5.9g of carbs for 100g, and distilled vinegar has 5g of carbs for
100g, so I would guess that switching to plain old white vinegar (which is
what distilled vinegar is) would make a negligible difference in carbs. I
would guess that 100g is about 4oz. Balsamic vinegar *is* red wine
vinegar, just a specific type, so I can't imagine that switching those
would help at all.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University
AIS

Gary

I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:22:39 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
>> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
>> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
>> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
>> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
>> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>>

>Make it in a blender.

Gary

I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 13:22:39 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
>> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
>> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
>> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
>> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
>> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?
>>

>Make it in a blender.

Dave Smith

Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Try adding a bit of mustard powder to it, about 1/4 tsp.

Dave Smith

Gary wrote:

> I make a low-carb italian dressing from Olive oil, water, balsamic
> vinegar, and garlic and onion powders, shaken well. I've noticed that
> there are fairly large clumps of solids in the finished dressing. I
> imagine they are clumps of the powders which haven't dissolved
> properly. How can I alter the recipe or preparation to avoid the
> solids (assuming I want all the flavors)?

Try adding a bit of mustard powder to it, about 1/4 tsp.

Dimiri

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:29:41 GMT, "Dimitri"
> > wrote:
>

> >Follow the Good Seasons example.
> >
> >1. Add the dry
> >2. Add the vinegar
> >3. Add the water (optional)
> >4. Shake like hell (or mix)
> >5. Add the oil
> >6. Shake again.
> >7. Serve

> The correct order is 231456. I have 4 different Good Seasons
> right now and none say that the water is optional. I think the
> little bit of water (1.5tbs?) is crucial to rehydrate the
> spices/herbs/veggies properly.
>
> -sw

Optional for his recipe - to me Balsamic only is too sweet to make a good
salad dressing, ergo the water would be optional.

Dimitri

Dimiri

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:29:41 GMT, "Dimitri"
> > wrote:
>

> >Follow the Good Seasons example.
> >
> >1. Add the dry
> >2. Add the vinegar
> >3. Add the water (optional)
> >4. Shake like hell (or mix)
> >5. Add the oil
> >6. Shake again.
> >7. Serve

> The correct order is 231456. I have 4 different Good Seasons
> right now and none say that the water is optional. I think the
> little bit of water (1.5tbs?) is crucial to rehydrate the
> spices/herbs/veggies properly.
>
> -sw

Optional for his recipe - to me Balsamic only is too sweet to make a good
salad dressing, ergo the water would be optional.

Dimitri

sf

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:23:34 GMT, Gary >
wrote:

> I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
> mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

Did you blend it enough and did you use the proper amounts
of ingredients? I always blend it and have never end up
with anything that resembles a mug of beer.

sf

wrote:

> I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
> mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

Did you blend it enough and did you use the proper amounts
of ingredients? I always blend it and have never end up
with anything that resembles a mug of beer.

Gary

It seems logical to me that the blender, which will "whip" the
dressing, should cause a foam. I did use the proportion of
indredients that I mentioned in my earlier post, and I imagine that
further blending will only make things worse, not better.

I have an old malted maker machine somjewhere in my basement. I think
it will stir rather than whip. Do you think this might do a more
respectable job? OR one of those Tupperware 2-cup quick shake
containers might do well, also.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:59:43 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:23:34 GMT, Gary >
>wrote:
>
>> I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
>> mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

>Did you blend it enough and did you use the proper amounts
>of ingredients? I always blend it and have never end up
>with anything that resembles a mug of beer.
>

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Gary

It seems logical to me that the blender, which will "whip" the
dressing, should cause a foam. I did use the proportion of
indredients that I mentioned in my earlier post, and I imagine that
further blending will only make things worse, not better.

I have an old malted maker machine somjewhere in my basement. I think
it will stir rather than whip. Do you think this might do a more
respectable job? OR one of those Tupperware 2-cup quick shake
containers might do well, also.

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:59:43 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:23:34 GMT, Gary >
>wrote:
>
>> I made it in a blender and it wound up with a big head...looked like a
>> mug of beer. I've set it out to stand. I hope it will go flat.

>Did you blend it enough and did you use the proper amounts
>of ingredients? I always blend it and have never end up
>with anything that resembles a mug of beer.
>

>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

Goomba38

Gary wrote:

> I have an old malted maker machine somjewhere in my basement. I think
> it will stir rather than whip. Do you think this might do a more
> respectable job? OR one of those Tupperware 2-cup quick shake
> containers might do well, also.

Again, I have to question why you're going to all this bother?? Salads have
been dressed for eons without all this bother. Dressing a salad is near
effortless and at most you need a nice spoon/fork to toss with the
ingredients. My old Italian Aunt preferred her hands. Never a finer salad
made, I swear.
Goomba