Default How are steaks cooked at Peter Lugers

Does anyone know the cooking method that is used at Peter Lugers?

I thought they were grilled, but you never see any grill marks, so I'm
assuming they are done under a broiler.

My wifes hypothesis is they are done under a VERY hot broiler on the
platter they are servered on.

I suppose it's possible they are done on hot iron, but that doesn't
seem likely, maybe though...

Puter Luger's Porterhouse steaks by mail order cost $42.50 a pound
(with the shipping). Fairway has Prime Porterhouse Steaks on sale for
about $10 a pound. Their aged steaks might be $15 or $16 dollars/lb
or maybe more.

I stay away from aged after having a few bad experiences in Bryant
and Cooper in Roslyn, NY and L'Endroit in East Hills (They also made a
$10 error in the bill, in their favor). Both happened at least 10 to
15 years ago and today I would have sent them back. I'm sorry I
didn't then.

Last night we BBQed Stop & Shop Porterhouse that was $4.99 but it was
choice. The fillet part great but the shell side was a bit chewier
than prime but still terrific.

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 19:59:26 +0000 (UTC), Clay Irving >
wrote:

>On 2005-02-06, > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know the cooking method that is used at Peter Lugers?
>>
>> I thought they were grilled, but you never see any grill marks, so I'm
>> assuming they are done under a broiler.
>>
>> My wifes hypothesis is they are done under a VERY hot broiler on the
>> platter they are servered on.
>>
>> I suppose it's possible they are done on hot iron, but that doesn't
>> seem likely, maybe though...

> "After the meat is properly aged, it is butchered and brought up to
> the kitchen for broiling."

http://store.yahoo.com/peterluger/ourstory.html

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
> Puter Luger's Porterhouse steaks by mail order cost $42.50 a pound
> (with the shipping). Fairway has Prime Porterhouse Steaks on sale for
> about $10 a pound. Their aged steaks might be $15 or $16 dollars/lb
> or maybe more.

Where is Fairway? You don't mean the one in Worcester do you? I 've never
seen prime in there, only select.

Dave S

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
>> Puter Luger's Porterhouse steaks by mail order cost $42.50 a pound
>> (with the shipping). Fairway has Prime Porterhouse Steaks on sale
>> for about $10 a pound. Their aged steaks might be $15 or $16
>> dollars/lb or maybe more.
>>

> Where is Fairway? You don't mean the one in Worcester do you? I 've
> never seen prime in there, only select.

It's probably not the Fairway you or the OP was referring to, but,
I'm posting because I thought this price was far too low for prime beef!
Last week Adams Fairacre Farms in Poughkeepsie, NY had prime
rib steaks or roasts for sale at, I (dis)believe, $7.99/lb.
Or so it said in their ad. No, I didn't have time to buy any :-(

http://www.adamsfarms.com/

Can anyone from the Hudson Valley confirm or comment?
Is this common pricing? It could justify another, non-business, trip.

I finally got their current ad to load with Internet Explorer:
prime porterhouse at $11.99/lb!

http://www.adamsfarms.com/pok/pok_food.pdf

Dave S

Posting with TBird,
If they keep trying, so will I ;-)

The Fairway we go to is on Long Island. It's on Manetto Hill Road
(exit 45 on the LIE and #37 on the Northern State Pkwy) in Plainview.
You can view the circular at http://www.fairwaymarket.com .

They have a meat counter where the real good stuff is, regular
supermarket cut meat in freezer cases, and larger quantity vaccuum
packed stuff which I don't care for in display cases.

It's a great store that has lots of things you can't find anywhere
else. If you ever get to the area, you should take a look. It's only
about 1/2 mile south of the exits.

I never bought Prime Meat there and I never bought anything from
behind the meat counter but maybe we need to have a few more dinner
parties and less trips to restaurants like Peter Luger! Actually, if
it's steak you want and you can get close to Lugar quality for 1/4 of
the price, then I think you're better off spending your money on
dishes a lot harder to make than a Porterhouse on the BBQ, baked
potatoes and creamed spinnach.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:55:18 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> Puter Luger's Porterhouse steaks by mail order cost $42.50 a pound
>> (with the shipping). Fairway has Prime Porterhouse Steaks on sale for
>> about $10 a pound. Their aged steaks might be $15 or $16 dollars/lb
>> or maybe more.
>>

>Where is Fairway? You don't mean the one in Worcester do you? I 've never
>seen prime in there, only select.

Fairway has "the ribs" this week for that price. See
http://www.fairwaymarket.com .

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:47:21 -0500, Dave S >
wrote:

>It's probably not the Fairway you or the OP was referring to, but,
>I'm posting because I thought this price was far too low for prime beef!
>Last week Adams Fairacre Farms in Poughkeepsie, NY had prime
>rib steaks or roasts for sale at, I (dis)believe, $7.99/lb.
>Or so it said in their ad. No, I didn't have time to buy any :-(
>
>http://www.adamsfarms.com/
>
>Can anyone from the Hudson Valley confirm or comment?
>Is this common pricing? It could justify another, non-business, trip.
>
>I finally got their current ad to load with Internet Explorer:
>prime porterhouse at $11.99/lb!
>
>http://www.adamsfarms.com/pok/pok_food.pdf
>

>Dave S
>
>Posting with TBird,
>If they keep trying, so will I ;-)

Dave S

> Fairway has "the ribs" this week for that price. See

http://www.fairwaymarket.com .

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:47:21 -0500, Dave S >
> wrote:
>>It's probably not the Fairway you or the OP was referring to,...,
>>http://www.adamsfarms.com/...

Well, they are two different stores then, with amazingly similar prices
on prime beef.
Unfortunately both are several hundred miles away from me (now).

You should buy some of this beef. I've never seen it priced that low.
What little prime I've seen in the Syracuse/Utica, NY area has been
$18/lb and up, up, up.

--
Dave S

Posting with TBird,