A Food and drink forum. FoodBanter.com

Welcome to FoodBanter.com forums which provide access to the finest food and drink related newsgroups.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most newsgroup discussions and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics to the food related newsgroups, communicate privately with other FoodBanter.com members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   Home » FoodBanter.com forum » Food and Cooking » General Cooking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

The great Avocado experiment... (Tilia)



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 06:54 AM
Katra
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default The great Avocado experiment... (Tilia)

Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)

I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished
going bad in no time!

I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally
bought one.

Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.

It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No turning
brown.

Cool.

Dad's over-shopped for fresh produce this week also, so I took the two
beautiful bunches of asparagus that he bought and "foodsaved" those as
well. You know how quickly the tips of those tend to spoil, even at 40
degrees! The packing is working well and they look as fresh as the day
he bought them. :-)

I've done a lot of repackaging of stuff in the freezer this week.

This is going to be great........

Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
What kind of luck have you had? I'm betting this would work really
really well for pre-peeled garlic cloves!

Kat

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katraatcenturyteldotnet,,


http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra
Ads
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 09:46 AM
nancree
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi, Katra,
I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
Thanks, Nancree

  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Katra
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article . com,
"nancree" wrote:

Hi, Katra,
I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
Thanks, Nancree


Right. :-)
You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....

These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.

I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katraatcenturyteldotnet,,


http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 03:58 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


Katra wrote:
Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)

I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished


going bad in no time!

I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally


bought one.

Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.

It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No

turning
brown.


They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php

Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
days.

To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.

If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
the top, browned layer.

When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
dips.

Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
of headspace.
Seal and label the containers.
Freeze and use within four to five months.
---

Sheldon

  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Gorboner of Torros
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Katra" wrote in message
...

Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
What kind of luck have you had?

I pray to Anubis and Im-Ho-Tep cooks the Tanna Leaves and
pours the stew over the food and it's good at least 5000 yrs.


  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Katra
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article . com,
"Sheldon" wrote:

Katra wrote:
Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)

I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished


going bad in no time!

I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally


bought one.

Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.

It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No

turning
brown.


They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php


Hey thanks Sheldon! :-)
I did not realize I could freeze Avocado!


Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
days.

To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.


Yes, I've done that... but I've gone further with a whole bunch of
Strawberries dad bought. I'm not eating much fruit right now since I'm
low carbing and I'm loathe to toss Straweberries, so I brandied them. ;-)
The alcohol will keep them preserved for a _long_ time I suspect!


If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
the top, browned layer.

When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
dips.


Yeah, they were so soft anyway they will just end up being used for
sauces or dips, so I guess freezing them might be the best answer.
I'm going to open a package or two this afternoon and make some avocado
sauce for the seafood stir fry I made last night.
(more on that later).


Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
of headspace.
Seal and label the containers.
Freeze and use within four to five months.


They could also be vacuum packed with care. There is a tilia technique
to packing liquids like soups and sauces. Pre-freeze then pack them.

---

Sheldon


--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katraatcenturyteldotnet,,


http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Katra
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
"Gorboner of Torros" wrote:

"Katra" wrote in message
...

Does anyone else use this thing to expand the life of fresh produce?????
What kind of luck have you had?

I pray to Anubis and Im-Ho-Tep cooks the Tanna Leaves and
pours the stew over the food and it's good at least 5000 yrs.



lol Dehydrating and the use of dessicant packs is the ultimate
answer...

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katraatcenturyteldotnet,,


http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Katra
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article ,
Tony P. wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article . com,
"nancree" wrote:

Hi, Katra,
I'm interested in your method of saving avocados with your Tilia. But
I'm unclear on one point--"they stayed green" means you removed them
from the outer peel, and the inside (edible part) stayed green, right?
Not the whole avocado, still in the peel.
Thanks, Nancree


Right. :-)
You know how avocados turn brown and icky when you peel them.....

These I cut in half, removed the seed and scooped them out with a large
spoon into the tilia bag, (I put 6 halves in each bag) then vacuum
sealed them. They are residing in the refrigerator and appear to be
staying good with no additives. It's been 4 days now.

I got the idea from our local grocery store. They sell some ready to eat
peeled vacuum packed avocados in the refrigerated produce section.


Ait, or more accurately oxygen is the enemy of most fruits and
vegetables. By evacuating as much of the air as you can the avocados
don't get a chance to turn brown, or oxidize.

Oxygen is natures great corrosive. Water isn't far behind.


Yeppers... ;-)
Those Asparagus I packed have been in there now for 5 days and there is
no sign of rot.

Man, they really got well evacuated too! The plastic is really tight.
I want to make more jerky and pack it with dessicants. I had to toss a
lot of my venison and emu jerky. :-( It got moldy........

All that work down the drain!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
tend to get caught between the ears causing truth decay- so be sure
to use mental floss twice a day.

,,Cat's Haven Hobby Farm,,Katraatcenturyteldotnet,,


http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...user id=katra
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Phred
Usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In article , Katra wrote:
In article . com,
"Sheldon" wrote:
Katra wrote:
Ok, got a bunch of old avocados cheap the other day... (free,
they came in a box of lettuce leaves I got for the chickens!)

I ended up composting about 50 of them, but 21 were salvagable.
Obviously I could not leave them in their peels, they'd have finished
going bad in no time!

I've been putting off getting a Tilia for a long time now, so finally
bought one. Vacuum sealed 3 per bag in 7 bags.
It's been 4 days now and they are still nice and green. :-) No
turning brown.


They've not turned brown because sealed they're not exposed to air, but
refrigerator temps are too high, they will become rancid/rotten within
a few days. You need to place them in the freezer.

http://www.avocado.org/avocado-facts...-selection.php


Hey thanks Sheldon! :-) I did not realize I could freeze Avocado!

Ripe fruit can be stored in the refrigerator uncut for two to three
days.


Mature but unripe avocados store well in the fridge for quite a long
time. Just take them out a day or two before you want to use them and
let them ripen fully at room temp.

To store cut fruit, sprinkle it with lemon or lime juice or white
vinegar and place it in an air-tight covered container in your
refrigerator. Eat within a day or two.


Yes, I've done that... but I've gone further with a whole bunch of
Strawberries dad bought. I'm not eating much fruit right now since I'm
low carbing and I'm loathe to toss Straweberries, so I brandied them. ;-)
The alcohol will keep them preserved for a _long_ time I suspect!


Doesn't anyone drink at your place? ;-)

If refrigerated guacamole turns brown during storage, simply discard
the top, browned layer.

When you have an abundance of fresh fruit, consider freezing it.
Although avocados are not satisfactorily frozen whole or sliced, pureed
avocados freeze very well and can be used in salads, sandwiches and
dips.


Yeah, they were so soft anyway they will just end up being used for
sauces or dips, so I guess freezing them might be the best answer.
I'm going to open a package or two this afternoon and make some avocado
sauce for the seafood stir fry I made last night. (more on that later).

Wash, seed and peel the fruit as described above.
Puree the flesh, adding one tablespoon of lemon juice for each two
pureed avocados. Pack the puree into a rigid container, leaving 1 inch
of headspace.
Seal and label the containers.
Freeze and use within four to five months.


They could also be vacuum packed with care. There is a tilia technique
to packing liquids like soups and sauces. Pre-freeze then pack them.


Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Herdez Salsa (continued) (to "sf" nobody) Nancree General Cooking 1 15-05-2004 07:56 PM
"The Great Divide...." Gregory Morrow General Cooking 0 05-05-2004 12:33 AM
Need some great truffle ideas Stef Chocolate 0 21-02-2004 10:40 PM
Avocado preservation and recipes Angela Faye Oon General Cooking 32 20-02-2004 07:14 PM
What's wrong with Muffin experiment #1 ? Wayne Jones General Cooking 6 28-11-2003 03:51 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2004-2014 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.