Thuman's. Boars head or Dietz & Watson...PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-02-2005, 05:22 PM
channeltool
Usenet poster

Default Thuman's. Boars head or Dietz & Watson...PLEASE HELP!

Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these meats
and your preference.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"channeltool" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these meats
and your preference.
Thanks

Never heard of Thurmans, but in my experience Dietz & Watson and Boars Head
are both very high quality lines. Boars Head probably has more name
recognition.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 03-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Nancy Young
Usenet poster

"channeltool" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these meats
and your preference.

Given my druthers, I'd go with Boar's Head. Consistantly high
quality, but I haven't conducted a major study or anything.

nancy

Old 03-02-2005, 06:09 PM
doug ventura
Usenet poster

Hello Me and Husband,

I was born in New York proper (i.e. not upstate i.e. Canada) and I'm a
foodie whose been eating deli all my life.

At first glance, the answer is Boars Head. Always top-of-the-heap with
highest name brand recognition. Taste case in point. Try a piece of
Bologna (or Baloney for you yahoo's) from each and you'll find BH is 1, D&W
2 (very close second) and Thumans 3. I use Bologna as the judge...because
its complex and easy to cheap out on....if one so desires.

At second glance, why not go buy some of each and sample for yourself?
Also, consider the financials and the regionality of your diner. BH, I'm
sure, includes a premium. And I'll also bet if your diner is in Bumf--k,
Arkansas, your customers care more about low cost than brand names. I can
see it now..."Hey Vern! This shore don't taste lyke no boars head I ever
eated!!!" :-)

With Humor and Good Intentions, Doug from Massachusetts

Old 03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

channeltool wrote:
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of

flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these

meats
and your preference.
Thanks

Not an easy call. I've never tasted Thumans, so don't have an opinion.
I have tried Boar's Head meats and frankfurters and thought they were
all excellent, wouldn't hesitate ordering a sandwich or whatever with
Boar's Head. The only Dietz & Watson product I've tasted is the ham,
which was excellent.

Are you determined to have your deli meats from one producer? Perhaps
you could consider having meats from different producers, depending on
your own taste tests. Or perhaps there is a brand recognition in your
area that would make selling your food a little easier. Good luck.

Mac

Old 03-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Sheldon
Usenet poster

channeltool wrote:
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of

flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these

meats
and your preference.

No contest. Boar's head.

Head Cheese, Mortadella, Ham, Frankfurters, Cheeses, it's all good.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Kswck
Usenet poster

"channeltool" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these meats
and your preference.
Thanks

Stock them all for a period of time and give the customers a choice.
Thumanns and Dietz & Watson are perceived as 'lower quality' thanks partly
to Boar's Head's ads.
You may wish to put up a sign for customers to ASK for Boar's Head if they
wish. I believe Boar's Head has a lower profit margin as they are more
expensive.
One of my local sutpidmarkets charges $9.50/lb for Boar's Head roast
beef-hence I make it myself.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Christine
Usenet poster

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...

channeltool wrote:
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of

flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these

meats
and your preference.

No contest. Boar's head.

Head Cheese, Mortadella, Ham, Frankfurters, Cheeses, it's all good.

I'm a Boar's Head fan myself. I recently received a complimentary copy of
the Rosengarten report and he named Boar's Head hot dogs as first place in
the New York-Chicago hot dog category.

I'm also fond of Nathan's Famous and Hebrew National hot dogs, but when it
comes to cold cuts I don't think anybody can beat Boar's Head.

Good luck with your diner!

Chris in Pearland, TX

Old 03-02-2005, 09:28 PM
channeltool
Usenet poster

Did you know Boar's Head contains MSG, both Dietz & Watson and Thumans
do not contain this chemical additive. Also, we found out that Boar's
Head farms out alot of the manufacturing of their meats. My husband and
I keep going back and forth on carrying BH or D&W. BH because of it's
recognition and D&W because of the no MSG factor. Thumans is our last
choice. My next question is...does the MSG play a factor in your
decision? I know in my experience, I have been a caterer for 15 years,
that many people have allergies to MSG and prefer it not to be in their
food. We prefer to carry only one line. Much easier on us and sometimes
too many choices is overkill.
Thanks

Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Christine
Usenet poster

"channeltool" wrote in message
oups.com...
Did you know Boar's Head contains MSG, both Dietz & Watson and Thumans
do not contain this chemical additive. Also, we found out that Boar's
Head farms out alot of the manufacturing of their meats. My husband and
I keep going back and forth on carrying BH or D&W. BH because of it's
recognition and D&W because of the no MSG factor. Thumans is our last
choice. My next question is...does the MSG play a factor in your
decision? I know in my experience, I have been a caterer for 15 years,
that many people have allergies to MSG and prefer it not to be in their
food. We prefer to carry only one line. Much easier on us and sometimes
too many choices is overkill.
Thanks

I'm not sensitive to MSG, but I know many people who are. I hope the
following link works. It shows many of the foods that contain MSG. It's
everywhere! BTW, don't take this to the bank quite yet. I found it doing a
Google search.

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

Chris in Pearland, TX

Old 03-02-2005, 11:21 PM
Chris Neidecker
Usenet poster

"channeltool" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, Me and my husband recently purchased a diner which we are
renovating and turning into a deli/cafe. We have been researching
different meat companies such as Dietz & Watson, Thumans and Boars
head. We want a deli meat with quality, familiarity and lots of flavor.
We decided on one but would like the opinion of those who really love
their deli sandwiches. Please tell us your experiences with these meats
and your preference.
Thanks

I haven't had Thumans or Boars Head (not that I know of, anyway), but I am
always happy with the Dietz & Watson deli meats and franks that I buy at the
supermarket. I am not real picky about MSG vs. not. I've never thought
about it relative to deli meat. Would rather not have it, but I don't
actively seek out places that avoid it.

Besides the meat, good bread is important. For everyday purposes, I like to
stick with some kind of whole grain bread. Not "wheat" bread, but actual
100% whole wheat bread a multigrain bread that has little or no white flour
in it. Hard to find at cafes I go to! If there's no whole grain bread,
then I hope for something else worthwhile -- a really good focaccia or
baguette. Otherwise, rye or a roll.

And spreads -- have at least one interesting spread, beyond the usual
mayo/mustard. Chipotle mayo, a red pepper spread, pesto mayonnaise,
something like that.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:01 AM
channeltool
Usenet poster

"Besides the meat, good bread is important"
Yes, we are ordeing our bread from a very popular bakery near us, they
have excellent whole grain, rye and white bread as well as heros and
rolls. We will have "Gourmet" sandwiches with various choices of
spreads.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:02 AM
channeltool
Usenet poster

Besides the meat, good bread is important
Yes, we plan on purchasing our bread from a very popular bakery near
by. It is a bit more expensive but is definitely worth it. They have
excellent whole grain, rye and white breads. We will also have
"Gourmet" samdwiches with various spreads.

Old 04-02-2005, 07:31 PM
scrooge
Usenet poster

Doug, you're displaying your MASS ignorance. G
An Arkansan would more likely say "Thet don't taste like no boar's head
Ah ever et!!"
Scrooge

Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Arri London
Usenet poster

channeltool wrote:

"Besides the meat, good bread is important"
Yes, we are ordeing our bread from a very popular bakery near us, they
have excellent whole grain, rye and white bread as well as heros and
rolls. We will have "Gourmet" sandwiches with various choices of
spreads.

Why not see if you can get equally good deli meats from a local
supplier/butcher?