Default User

Default Seville oranges

As there's been some discussion lately regarding Sevilles and
difficulty finding them, I did a bit of Google searching. Here's one
mail order site that I found.

http://www.flcitrusstand.com/product...?CID=13&PID=58

I'm not affiliated with them, and more importantly have never used
their service so I can't vouch for them in any way. The prices don't
seem to include shipping and I couldn't seen a handy way to find out
how much shipping is without going all the way through checkout (I hate
that).

Brian

limey

"Default User" wrote in message

> As there's been some discussion lately regarding Sevilles and
> difficulty finding them, I did a bit of Google searching. Here's one
> mail order site that I found.
>
> http://www.flcitrusstand.com/product...?CID=13&PID=58
>

> I'm not affiliated with them, and more importantly have never used
> their service so I can't vouch for them in any way. The prices don't
> seem to include shipping and I couldn't seen a handy way to find out
> how much shipping is without going all the way through checkout (I hate
> that).
>
> Brian

Brian, I am indebted to you - you have no idea how long I have looked for
these. By coincidence, I recently went to the same site while searching and
no Seville oranges were mentioned - perhaps because there is such a short
season.

Dora

limey wrote:
> "Default User" wrote in message
>
> > As there's been some discussion lately regarding Sevilles and
> > difficulty finding them, I did a bit of Google searching. Here's

one
> > mail order site that I found.
> >
> > http://www.flcitrusstand.com/product...?CID=13&PID=58

> Brian, I am indebted to you - you have no idea how long I have looked

for
> these.

You're welcome of course. You'll notice that it's substantially cheaper
to buy a whole bushel. A bushel (based on buying honeybells) runs about
40lbs and there are are about 15 pieces per tray, so around 60 oranges
per bushel. That's a lot of fruit, but if you can find someone to divvy
it up with it would save money.

> By coincidence, I recently went to the same site while searching and
> no Seville oranges were mentioned - perhaps because there is such a

short
> season.

Could be they don't start taking orders until a few weeks before the
shipping season starts or something.

Brian

limey

"Default User" wrote in message > limey wrote:
>> "Default User" wrote in message
>>
>> > As there's been some discussion lately regarding Sevilles and
>> > difficulty finding them, I did a bit of Google searching. Here's

> one
>> > mail order site that I found.
>> >
>> > http://www.flcitrusstand.com/product...?CID=13&PID=58

>> Brian, I am indebted to you - you have no idea how long I have looked

> for
>> these.

> You're welcome of course. You'll notice that it's substantially cheaper
> to buy a whole bushel. A bushel (based on buying honeybells) runs about
> 40lbs and there are are about 15 pieces per tray, so around 60 oranges
> per bushel. That's a lot of fruit, but if you can find someone to divvy
> it up with it would save money.

Well, 10 pounds of Sevilles would give me enough marmalade for the next five
years, since I'm the only one who loves it. I have sent them an e-mail to
see if they would be willing to send me a split shipment. We'll see! My
choice would be Sevilles and honeybells.

>> By coincidence, I recently went to the same site while searching and
>> no Seville oranges were mentioned - perhaps because there is such a

> short
>> season.

> Could be they don't start taking orders until a few weeks before the
> shipping season starts or something.
>
> Brian

That's true. Thanks for the end of a long search!

Dora

Dave Smith

limey wrote:

> Well, 10 pounds of Sevilles would give me enough marmalade for the next five
> years, since I'm the only one who loves it. I have sent them an e-mail to
> see if they would be willing to send me a split shipment. We'll see! My
> choice would be Sevilles and honeybells.

I usually find about 2 lbs of Seville oranges makes enough marmalade to keep me
going for a year. AAMOF, I had so much left over form last year that I did not
bother making any this year.

zxcvbob

Default User wrote:
> limey wrote:
>
>>"Default User" wrote in message
>>

>>>As there's been some discussion lately regarding Sevilles and
>>>difficulty finding them, I did a bit of Google searching. Here's

> one
>
>>>mail order site that I found.
>>>
>>>http://www.flcitrusstand.com/product...?CID=13&PID=58

>>Brian, I am indebted to you - you have no idea how long I have looked

> for
>
>>these.

> You're welcome of course. You'll notice that it's substantially cheaper
> to buy a whole bushel. A bushel (based on buying honeybells) runs about
> 40lbs and there are are about 15 pieces per tray, so around 60 oranges
> per bushel. That's a lot of fruit, but if you can find someone to divvy
> it up with it would save money.
>

>>By coincidence, I recently went to the same site while searching and
>>no Seville oranges were mentioned - perhaps because there is such a

> short
>
>>season.

> Could be they don't start taking orders until a few weeks before the
> shipping season starts or something.
>

> Brian

I stumbled upon some seville oranges a couple of years ago at a Fiesta
supermarket in Houston -- in October. I have no idea where they would
have been imported from that time of year. They were not all that
expensive. I made some very bitter marmalade with them.

Bob

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 08:24:27p, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Default User wrote:
>> limey wrote:

>> one

>>>Brian, I am indebted to you - you have no idea how long I have looked

>> for
>>
>>>these.

>> You're welcome of course. You'll notice that it's substantially cheaper
>> to buy a whole bushel. A bushel (based on buying honeybells) runs about
>> 40lbs and there are are about 15 pieces per tray, so around 60 oranges
>> per bushel. That's a lot of fruit, but if you can find someone to divvy
>> it up with it would save money.
>>

>>>By coincidence, I recently went to the same site while searching and no
>>>Seville oranges were mentioned - perhaps because there is such a

>> short
>>
>>>season.

>> Could be they don't start taking orders until a few weeks before the
>> shipping season starts or something.
>>

>> Brian
>>

> I stumbled upon some seville oranges a couple of years ago at a Fiesta
> supermarket in Houston -- in October. I have no idea where they would
> have been imported from that time of year. They were not all that
> expensive. I made some very bitter marmalade with them.
>
> Bob

Possibly Arizona. They grow in abundance here.

Wayne
limey

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

> I stumbled upon some seville oranges a couple of years ago at a Fiesta
> supermarket in Houston -- in October. I have no idea where they would
> have been imported from that time of year. They were not all that
> expensive. I made some very bitter marmalade with them.
>
> Bob

Yes, that's the desired marmalade - a wake up call in the morning.

Dora

zxcvbob

limey wrote:
> "zxcvbob" wrote in message
>
>>I stumbled upon some seville oranges a couple of years ago at a Fiesta
>>supermarket in Houston -- in October. I have no idea where they would
>>have been imported from that time of year. They were not all that
>>expensive. I made some very bitter marmalade with them.
>>
>>Bob

> Yes, that's the desired marmalade - a wake up call in the morning.
>
> Dora

Mine was disqualified at the county fair because it was bitter -- the
judge didn't know that it was supposed to taste like that.

Bob
limey

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>> "zxcvbob" wrote in message
>>
>>>I stumbled upon some seville oranges a couple of years ago at a Fiesta
>>>supermarket in Houston -- in October. I have no idea where they would
>>>have been imported from that time of year. They were not all that
>>>expensive. I made some very bitter marmalade with them.
>>>
>>>Bob

>> Yes, that's the desired marmalade - a wake up call in the morning.
>>
>> Dora

> Mine was disqualified at the county fair because it was bitter -- the
> judge didn't know that it was supposed to taste like that.
>
> Bob

That's too bad, Bob. Change the judge!

Dora

limey wrote:

> > one

> >> Brian, I am indebted to you - you have no idea how long I have

looked
> > for
> >> these.

> > You're welcome of course. You'll notice that it's substantially

cheaper
> > to buy a whole bushel. A bushel (based on buying honeybells) runs

about
> > 40lbs and there are are about 15 pieces per tray, so around 60

oranges
> > per bushel. That's a lot of fruit, but if you can find someone to

divvy
> > it up with it would save money.

> Well, 10 pounds of Sevilles would give me enough marmalade for the

next five
> years, since I'm the only one who loves it. I have sent them an

e-mail to
> see if they would be willing to send me a split shipment. We'll see!

My
> choice would be Sevilles and honeybells.

Well, they sell 1/4 and 1/2 bushels, it's just more expensive that way.

Seville Oranges (1/4 Bushel) 10 LBS - SO10 ($21.95)

Seville Oranges (1 Bushel) 40 LBS - SO40 ($45.95)

So 1/4 bushel costs about half what a full does. Pretty pricey but if
you can't find anywhere at home then that's an option.

Also note that this was the first I ran across. I was using google with
the search pattern "seville oranges" "mail order".

It's possible that other growers have them and may offer a better
price.

Brian

Dave Smith

limey wrote:

> Yes, that's the desired marmalade - a wake up call in the morning.

It's great stuff..... if you like it. People who like bitter Seville orange
marmalade really like it, and others don't seem to like it at all. The good
quality stuff is pretty expensive to buy, and it's really easy to make.

Good news on the Seville oranges hunt. I saw some in the grocery store
today, product of USA. It's the first time I have ever seen American Seville
oranges here.

Dave Smith

zxcvbob wrote:

> Mine was disqualified at the county fair because it was bitter -- the
> judge didn't know that it was supposed to taste like that.

Dang. I always put the seeds in a cheese cloth bag and let them steep with
the mush in order to make it bitter.

limey

"Dave Smith" wrote in message > limey wrote:

>> Yes, that's the desired marmalade - a wake up call in the morning.

> It's great stuff..... if you like it. People who like bitter Seville
> orange
> marmalade really like it, and others don't seem to like it at all. The
> good
> quality stuff is pretty expensive to buy, and it's really easy to make.
>
> Good news on the Seville oranges hunt. I saw some in the grocery store
> today, product of USA. It's the first time I have ever seen American
> Seville
> oranges here.

Well, there's a downside I'm trying to resolve. They'll only sell them in
10-pound boxes, so that makes far too much marmalade for just me to eat.
;-(
I'm hoping they'll reply to my request for a split shipment. We'll see.

Dora

Dave Smith

limey wrote:

> > Good news on the Seville oranges hunt. I saw some in the grocery store
> > today, product of USA. It's the first time I have ever seen American
> > Seville
> > oranges here.

> Well, there's a downside I'm trying to resolve. They'll only sell them in
> 10-pound boxes, so that makes far too much marmalade for just me to eat.
> ;-(
> I'm hoping they'll reply to my request for a split shipment. We'll see.

10 lb. will make a whole lot of marmalade. It's too bad there isn't much else
that you can do with them. They sure aren't good for eating. I once tried a
sip of the juice, and it made me wonder why anyone bothered to cultivate them
in the first place.

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Feb 2005 02:22:31p, Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> Mine was disqualified at the county fair because it was bitter -- the
>> judge didn't know that it was supposed to taste like that.

> Dang. I always put the seeds in a cheese cloth bag and let them steep with
> the mush in order to make it bitter.

Not only that, the seeds are a critical pectin component, causing the set.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 02 Feb 2005 05:35:59p, Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> limey wrote:
>
>> > Good news on the Seville oranges hunt. I saw some in the grocery
>> > store today, product of USA. It's the first time I have ever seen
>> > American Seville
>> > oranges here.

>> Well, there's a downside I'm trying to resolve. They'll only sell them
>> in 10-pound boxes, so that makes far too much marmalade for just me to
>> eat. ;-(
>> I'm hoping they'll reply to my request for a split shipment. We'll
>> see.

> 10 lb. will make a whole lot of marmalade. It's too bad there isn't
> much else that you can do with them. They sure aren't good for eating.
> I once tried a sip of the juice, and it made me wonder why anyone
> bothered to cultivate them in the first place.

Also good with poultry and make a great base juice for gin and vodka drinks.
Who needs quinine water? :-)

Wayne
The Cook

Dave Smith > wrote:

>limey wrote:
>
>> > Good news on the Seville oranges hunt. I saw some in the grocery store
>> > today, product of USA. It's the first time I have ever seen American
>> > Seville
>> > oranges here.

>> Well, there's a downside I'm trying to resolve. They'll only sell them in
>> 10-pound boxes, so that makes far too much marmalade for just me to eat.
>> ;-(
>> I'm hoping they'll reply to my request for a split shipment. We'll see.

>10 lb. will make a whole lot of marmalade. It's too bad there isn't much else
>that you can do with them. They sure aren't good for eating. I once tried a
>sip of the juice, and it made me wonder why anyone bothered to cultivate them
>in the first place.

I just placed an order and if I get more than I can used at one time,
I intend to put them in the freezer like I do lemons and limes. So
far I have not done that with oranges since I normally just want them
for eating fresh.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
limey

"The Cook" wrote in message > Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Well, there's a downside I'm trying to resolve. They'll only sell them
>>> in
>>> 10-pound boxes, so that makes far too much marmalade for just me to eat.
>>> ;-(
>>> I'm hoping they'll reply to my request for a split shipment. We'll see.

>>10 lb. will make a whole lot of marmalade. It's too bad there isn't much
>>else
>>that you can do with them. They sure aren't good for eating. I once tried
>>sip of the juice, and it made me wonder why anyone bothered to cultivate
>>them
>>in the first place.

> I just placed an order and if I get more than I can used at one time,
> I intend to put them in the freezer like I do lemons and limes. So
> far I have not done that with oranges since I normally just want them
> for eating fresh.
>
> Susan N.

Good grief, Susan - I didn't think of oranges in the freezer, either,
although I do freeze lemons and limes with great success. Now, if I can
just find room in the freezer...........

Dora

The Cook

"limey" > wrote:

>>>10 lb. will make a whole lot of marmalade. It's too bad there isn't much
>>>else
>>>that you can do with them. They sure aren't good for eating. I once tried
>>>sip of the juice, and it made me wonder why anyone bothered to cultivate
>>>them
>>>in the first place.

>> I just placed an order and if I get more than I can used at one time,
>> I intend to put them in the freezer like I do lemons and limes. So
>> far I have not done that with oranges since I normally just want them
>> for eating fresh.
>>
>> Susan N.

>Good grief, Susan - I didn't think of oranges in the freezer, either,
>although I do freeze lemons and limes with great success. Now, if I can
>just find room in the freezer...........
>
>Dora

I am really looking forward to their arrival. I have been checking
out different recipes. So far I have the BBB, Delia Smith's recipe,
and the Cranberry-Orange Marmalade recipe that Wayne posted earlier.
Think I better buy a large bag of sugar at Costco next week. Or pray
that one of the local groceries has a sale.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Dave Smith

The Cook wrote:

> I am really looking forward to their arrival. I have been checking
> out different recipes. So far I have the BBB, Delia Smith's recipe,
> and the Cranberry-Orange Marmalade recipe that Wayne posted earlier.
> Think I better buy a large bag of sugar at Costco next week. Or pray
> that one of the local groceries has a sale.

Cranberry-Orange? Blasphemy. You would probably ruin a good rhubarb pie by mixing it with strawberries.
: -)

No offence to Wayne's recipe, but I have had cranberry-orange marmalade. It's not bad, but IMO opinion
it was a shameful waste of what could have been excellent orange marmalade.

limey

"Default User" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> limey wrote:

>> > one

> looked
>> > for
>> >
>> > You're welcome of course. You'll notice that it's substantially

> cheaper
>> > to buy a whole bushel. A bushel (based on buying honeybells) runs

> about
>> > 40lbs and there are are about 15 pieces per tray, so around 60

> oranges
>> > per bushel. That's a lot of fruit, but if you can find someone to

> divvy
>> > it up with it would save money.

>> Well, 10 pounds of Sevilles would give me enough marmalade for the

> next five
>> years, since I'm the only one who loves it. I have sent them an

> e-mail to
>> see if they would be willing to send me a split shipment. We'll see!

> My
>> choice would be Sevilles and honeybells.

> Well, they sell 1/4 and 1/2 bushels, it's just more expensive that way.
>
> Seville Oranges (1/4 Bushel) 10 LBS - SO10 ($21.95)
>
> Seville Oranges (1 Bushel) 40 LBS - SO40 ($45.95)
>

> So 1/4 bushel costs about half what a full does. Pretty pricey but if
> you can't find anywhere at home then that's an option.
>
> Also note that this was the first I ran across. I was using google with
> the search pattern "seville oranges" "mail order".
>
> It's possible that other growers have them and may offer a better
> price.
>
> Brian

Thanks for your help, Brian - I've just ordered 10 pounds ($28.84 including
shipping). Expensive, but it's the only way I can get rid of this craving.
As one poster suggested, what I don't use at first I will freeze.

Dora

limey

"limey" wrote in message >
> "The Cook" wrote in message
>>
>> I just placed an order and if I get more than I can used at one time,
>> I intend to put them in the freezer like I do lemons and limes. So
>> far I have not done that with oranges since I normally just want them
>> for eating fresh.
>>
>> Susan N.

> Good grief, Susan - I didn't think of oranges in the freezer, either,
> although I do freeze lemons and limes with great success. Now, if I can
> just find room in the freezer...........
>
> Dora

Sevilles ordered! Thanks, Susan.

Dora

limey wrote:

> Thanks for your help, Brian - I've just ordered 10 pounds ($28.84

including
> shipping). Expensive, but it's the only way I can get rid of this

craving.
> As one poster suggested, what I don't use at first I will freeze.

Sounds good. The freezing idea does make sense, as you aren't using the
oranges for eating. As you said, lemons and limes do fine that way.

Brian

Scott

Just picked some Sevilles from Fairway supermarket (local in NY/Long
Island) and made 6 half-pints and one 4-oz jar of marmalade. Came out
very nice.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Michael

Dora wrote:

Good grief, Susan - I didn't think of oranges in the freezer, either,
although I do freeze lemons and limes with great success. Now, if I
can
just find room in the freezer...

***************
Haha! Ours gets so full and then we go into a purge mode.
We eat dinners that we've frozen spaced by cooking up pieces
of meat that have been in there long enough. I'm afraid we
sort of abuse the luxury of a freezer. Things just really
shouldn't be left in it that long.

Michael

limey

"Michael" wrote in message
> Dora wrote:
>
> Good grief, Susan - I didn't think of oranges in the freezer, either,
> although I do freeze lemons and limes with great success. Now, if I
> can
> just find room in the freezer...
>
> ***************
> Haha! Ours gets so full and then we go into a purge mode.
> We eat dinners that we've frozen spaced by cooking up pieces
> of meat that have been in there long enough. I'm afraid we
> sort of abuse the luxury of a freezer. Things just really
> shouldn't be left in it that long.
>
> Michael

I plead guilty, too. We seem to go on buying sprees when something's on
sale. We were on the "using up" mode but just went to Costco, which is
fatal. Large bags of this and packs of that. What we really need is a
bigger freezer - ours is only 14 cu. feet. It had better darned sight take
those oranges.

Dora

limey

"Scott" wrote in message

> Just picked some Sevilles from Fairway supermarket (local in NY/Long
> Island) and made 6 half-pints and one 4-oz jar of marmalade. Came out
> very nice.

What can I say? Lucky, lucky you!
Dora

Scott

In article >,
The Cook > wrote:

> I am really looking forward to their arrival. I have been checking
> out different recipes. So far I have the BBB, Delia Smith's recipe,
> and the Cranberry-Orange Marmalade recipe that Wayne posted earlier.
> Think I better buy a large bag of sugar at Costco next week. Or pray
> that one of the local groceries has a sale.

I posted a recipe to rec.food.preserving recently; this is rather
different in that it uses added pectin (see post). I liked the result.

<http://tinyurl.com/4x33b>

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

In article >,
Lucretia Borgia > wrote:

> The one thing that Seville Orange Marmalade does is set well. There
> is absolutely no need for pectin. I never use that stuff, not even
> for strawberry jam which can have a more problematical setting point.

If you read the post I referenced, the author of the recipe does not use
pectin simply to ensure set, but because, she argues, pectin-based
recipes better preserve aroma and flavor since they need to be cooked
for a much shorter time. There seems to be logic to that (reducing the
loss of volatile aromatics in the oranges or other fruit), and, having
tried her recipes in comparison to pectin-less ones, experiential
evidence.