alzelt

Default Best oil for French Fries?

> IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer to the
> vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now that
> practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.
>
> Today they use.
> http://www.mcdonalds.com/app_control...in dex.html#2
>
> French Fries: French Fries, Salt
> French Fries: Potatoes, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor
> (beef source), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (to preserve natural
> color). Cooked in partially hydrogenated vegetable oils (may contain
> partially hydrogenated soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated corn oil
> and/or partially hydrogenated canola oil and/or cottonseed oil and/or
> sunflower oil and/or corn oil). TBHQ and citric acid added to help preserve
> freshness. Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent.

As a rule, I refuse to use ingredients that I cannot pronounce, or
contain more than two sylables. As for the need to robe the spuds in a
specially formulated chemical mix, that goes beyond the pale.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer to

the
> vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now that
> practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I apologize
for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
with respect.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer to

the
> vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now that
> practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I apologize
for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
with respect.

Charlie

Dimitri

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >

> > IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer to

> the
> > vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> > prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now that
> > practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

> It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I

apologize
> for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
> with respect.
>
> Charlie

Charlie see the last paragraph from Australian Broadcast:
http://www.abc.net.au/am/s302914.htm

"This announcement has to be put in some perspective. In 1990 McDonalds in
the USA announced with much fanfare that it would switch to cooking its
fries in vegetable oil, making them acceptable to vegetarians who will not
eat food cooked in beef fat.

The company also made a virtue of the fact that its switch to vegetable oil
was made for nutritional reasons to offer customers a cholesterol-free menu
item.

So, what's the situation in Australia?

Well, McDonalds here would only say that they had never said the oil they
cooked in was completely vegetarian.

Indeed the potato chips we get here is cooked in a mixture of beef tallow
and cotton seed oil. Hence the humble vegetarian potato chip may well be
non-existent."

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
link.net...

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >

> > IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer to

> the
> > vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> > prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now that
> > practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

> It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I

apologize
> for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
> with respect.
>
> Charlie

Charlie see the last paragraph from Australian Broadcast:
http://www.abc.net.au/am/s302914.htm

"This announcement has to be put in some perspective. In 1990 McDonalds in
the USA announced with much fanfare that it would switch to cooking its
fries in vegetable oil, making them acceptable to vegetarians who will not
eat food cooked in beef fat.

The company also made a virtue of the fact that its switch to vegetable oil
was made for nutritional reasons to offer customers a cholesterol-free menu
item.

So, what's the situation in Australia?

Well, McDonalds here would only say that they had never said the oil they
cooked in was completely vegetarian.

Indeed the potato chips we get here is cooked in a mixture of beef tallow
and cotton seed oil. Hence the humble vegetarian potato chip may well be
non-existent."

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

<snip>

> Yeahbut.....pork fat rulez!
>
> Jack Lardo

Yep!

Mexican home fried potatoes fried in lard........

Dimitri

Dimitri

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

<snip>

> Yeahbut.....pork fat rulez!
>
> Jack Lardo

Yep!

Mexican home fried potatoes fried in lard........

Dimitri

elaine

"d w a c o n" > wrote in message
> Default > wrote:
>
> >What's the best oil for French Fries?

> LARD !!

Got my vote - growing up in Scotland we always used lard, probably because
it was cheap, and the fries were great. I've used vegetable oil and it's
just not the same.

E.

elaine

"d w a c o n" > wrote in message
> Default > wrote:
>
> >What's the best oil for French Fries?

> LARD !!

Got my vote - growing up in Scotland we always used lard, probably because
it was cheap, and the fries were great. I've used vegetable oil and it's
just not the same.

E.

Blair P. Houghton

Default > wrote:
>What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
>aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
>good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

Kaola Gold, after a week of making everything the restaurant
deep fries.

--Blair
"Oh, baby."

Blair P. Houghton

>What's the best oil for French Fries? I'm guessing the healthiest ones
>aren't the best tasting, but at the moment I have no idea what's healthy OR
>good tasting oil, so any input is appreciated.

Kaola Gold, after a week of making everything the restaurant
deep fries.

--Blair
"Oh, baby."
Brian Macke

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:58:28 +0000, alzelt wrote:

> As a rule, I refuse to use ingredients that I cannot pronounce, or
> contain more than two sylables.

How do you eat at ethnic restaurants? I'd butcher the name of any quality
ingredient used in a Thai or Russian restaurant.

> As for the need to robe the spuds in a specially formulated chemical
> mix, that goes beyond the pale.

McDonald's didn't start the fire. They've exploited it to a new level in
recent years, but prefabricated and processed food has a heritage whose
lineage includes stuffing vegetables in salt water and stuffing ground
meat into the intestines of the dead animal.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

Brian Macke

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:58:28 +0000, alzelt wrote:

> As a rule, I refuse to use ingredients that I cannot pronounce, or
> contain more than two sylables.

How do you eat at ethnic restaurants? I'd butcher the name of any quality
ingredient used in a Thai or Russian restaurant.

> As for the need to robe the spuds in a specially formulated chemical
> mix, that goes beyond the pale.

McDonald's didn't start the fire. They've exploited it to a new level in
recent years, but prefabricated and processed food has a heritage whose
lineage includes stuffing vegetables in salt water and stuffing ground
meat into the intestines of the dead animal.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which
builds it." -- Unknown

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> > >

> > > IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer

> > the
> > > vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> > > prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now

that
> > > practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

> > It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I

> apologize
> > for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
> > with respect.
> >
> > Charlie

> Charlie see the last paragraph from Australian Broadcast:
> http://www.abc.net.au/am/s302914.htm
>
> "This announcement has to be put in some perspective. In 1990 McDonalds in
> the USA announced with much fanfare that it would switch to cooking its
> fries in vegetable oil, making them acceptable to vegetarians who will not
> eat food cooked in beef fat.
>
> The company also made a virtue of the fact that its switch to vegetable

oil
> was made for nutritional reasons to offer customers a cholesterol-free

menu
> item.
>
> So, what's the situation in Australia?
>
> Well, McDonalds here would only say that they had never said the oil they
> cooked in was completely vegetarian.
>
> Indeed the potato chips we get here is cooked in a mixture of beef tallow
> and cotton seed oil. Hence the humble vegetarian potato chip may well be
> non-existent."
>

> Dimitri

That's fine Dimitri, but I was talking about the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Charles Gifford" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> >
> > "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> > >

> > > IIRC the tallow was never the prime oil used it was a flavor enhancer

> > the
> > > vegetable oil. The practice was in broad use when the stores actually
> > > prepared the fries from potatoes right in the store. For years now

that
> > > practice has been abandoned in favor of a frozen product.

> > It just occurred to me that we have been down this road before! I

> apologize
> > for bringing it up again Dimitri. We shall, once again, have to disagree
> > with respect.
> >
> > Charlie

> Charlie see the last paragraph from Australian Broadcast:
> http://www.abc.net.au/am/s302914.htm
>
> "This announcement has to be put in some perspective. In 1990 McDonalds in
> the USA announced with much fanfare that it would switch to cooking its
> fries in vegetable oil, making them acceptable to vegetarians who will not
> eat food cooked in beef fat.
>
> The company also made a virtue of the fact that its switch to vegetable

oil
> was made for nutritional reasons to offer customers a cholesterol-free

menu
> item.
>
> So, what's the situation in Australia?
>
> Well, McDonalds here would only say that they had never said the oil they
> cooked in was completely vegetarian.
>
> Indeed the potato chips we get here is cooked in a mixture of beef tallow
> and cotton seed oil. Hence the humble vegetarian potato chip may well be
> non-existent."
>

> Dimitri

That's fine Dimitri, but I was talking about the 50s, 60s and 70s.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> <snip>
>
> > Yeahbut.....pork fat rulez!
> >
> > Jack Lardo

> Yep!
>
> Mexican home fried potatoes fried in lard........
>

> Dimitri

Ah Ha! That's why! You don't like rendered beef fat! <grin>

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> <snip>
>
> > Yeahbut.....pork fat rulez!
> >
> > Jack Lardo

> Yep!
>
> Mexican home fried potatoes fried in lard........
>

> Dimitri

Ah Ha! That's why! You don't like rendered beef fat! <grin>

Charlie

Natural Cut French Fries Jerry Avins General Cooking 1 01-07-2011 06:40 PM
Natural Cut French Fries Jerry Avins General Cooking 1 01-07-2011 07:17 AM
Natural Cut French Fries Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 1 29-06-2011 05:55 AM
French Fries Moe Jones Barbecue 19 27-09-2007 05:16 AM
Do French people eat French Fries and French Toast ? Puester General Cooking 2 17-02-2005 06:22 AM