Cate

Default refreezing thawed sausage

I know, I know. I shouldn't do it. Having said that, how bad is it?

Yesterday I pulled from the freezer some andouille sausage that was
purchased at an Italian market in the Strip District in Pittsburgh. (We
don't live there; this was a special trip.)

Today it's totally thawed, but due to a change in plans we now won't be
able to eat it until Saturday at the earliest. I'd rather refreeze it for
later use.

I know refreezing is bad, but I don't know why. Is it a texture issue, or
one of bacteria? Or something else altogether?

Cate
Steve Calvin

Cate wrote:
> I know, I know. I shouldn't do it. Having said that, how bad is it?
>
> Yesterday I pulled from the freezer some andouille sausage that was
> purchased at an Italian market in the Strip District in Pittsburgh. (We
> don't live there; this was a special trip.)
>
> Today it's totally thawed, but due to a change in plans we now won't be
> able to eat it until Saturday at the earliest. I'd rather refreeze it for
> later use.
>
> I know refreezing is bad, but I don't know why. Is it a texture issue, or
> one of bacteria? Or something else altogether?
>
> Cate

Given that it's andouille I wouldn't even think twice about it, assuming
that it was kept cold.

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Pierre

Cate wrote:
> I know, I know. I shouldn't do it. Having said that, how bad is it?
>
> Yesterday I pulled from the freezer some andouille sausage that was
> purchased at an Italian market in the Strip District in Pittsburgh.

(We
> don't live there; this was a special trip.)
>
> Today it's totally thawed, but due to a change in plans we now won't

be
> able to eat it until Saturday at the earliest. I'd rather refreeze it

for
> later use.
>
> I know refreezing is bad, but I don't know why. Is it a texture

issue, or
> one of bacteria? Or something else altogether?
>
> Cate

Cate, Go ahead and cook it now. Freeze it cooked, or store it cold and
cooked. I don't think you'll lose too much in the way of texture by
storing cooked sausage. I freeze leftovers all the time, and while it
does lose some "snap", it shouldn't make much of a difference if it's
going into a soup, stew, or sauce.
As far as bacteria: You described it as 'totally thawed', does that
mean room temp, or in the fridge? If you have any doubt about bacteria,
just don't cook it or eat it. Your nose knows. Take a whiff. Better
to toss it rather than take a chance by eating it and be on the throne
all night.

Pierre

Cate

Steve Calvin > wrote in news:357jdtF4io4fmU1
@individual.net:

> Given that it's andouille I wouldn't even think twice about it, assuming
> that it was kept cold.

I'm having trouble parsing this; seems ambiguous. You wouldn't hesitate to
re-freeze if it's been thawed and kept in the fridge?

Cate
Cate

"Pierre" > wrote in news:1106156199.346324.258430
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> As far as bacteria: You described it as 'totally thawed', does that
> mean room temp, or in the fridge?

Sorry. I mean it thawed from frozen in the fridge, and it's still in the
fridge. Never got above fridge temps. Knowing this, would you still cook it
now?

If you have any doubt about bacteria,
> just don't cook it or eat it. Your nose knows. Take a whiff. Better
> to toss it rather than take a chance by eating it and be on the throne
> all night.

Yep. My nose is super-sensitive, and I always err on the side of caution if
something's been in the fridge a day longer than I like.

Cate

Pierre

Cate wrote:
> "Pierre" > wrote in news:1106156199.346324.258430
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > As far as bacteria: You described it as 'totally thawed', does that
> > mean room temp, or in the fridge?

> Sorry. I mean it thawed from frozen in the fridge, and it's still in

the
> fridge. Never got above fridge temps. Knowing this, would you still

cook it
> now?

Today is Wednesday, figure its been thawed for 24 hours, and you won't
cook it until Saturday/earliest; either cook it now or toss it in the
freezer again. It should be ok either way. Just don't let it stay in
the fridge, and risk it getting all slimey.

> <snip> Your nose knows. Take a whiff. Better
> > to toss it rather than take a chance by eating it and be on the

throne
> > all night.

> Yep. My nose is super-sensitive, and I always err on the side of

caution if
> something's been in the fridge a day longer than I like.

Thats what I like to hear.

> Cate

Do let us know!

Pierre

Cate

"Pierre" > wrote in news:1106157677.983264.134460
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

[...]

> Do let us know!

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll chance re-freezing it since it's
been cold the whole time it's been thawed.

Cate

Steve Calvin

Cate wrote:
> Steve Calvin > wrote in news:357jdtF4io4fmU1
> @individual.net:
>

>>Given that it's andouille I wouldn't even think twice about it, assuming
>>that it was kept cold.

> I'm having trouble parsing this; seems ambiguous. You wouldn't hesitate to
> re-freeze if it's been thawed and kept in the fridge?
>
> Cate

right. If it had been on the counter all day or something I may be
reluctant.

--
Steve

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.
Steve Calvin

Cate wrote:
> "Pierre" > wrote in news:1106156199.346324.258430
> @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

>>As far as bacteria: You described it as 'totally thawed', does that
>>mean room temp, or in the fridge?

> Sorry. I mean it thawed from frozen in the fridge, and it's still in the
> fridge. Never got above fridge temps. Knowing this, would you still cook it
> now?
>
> If you have any doubt about bacteria,
>
>>just don't cook it or eat it. Your nose knows. Take a whiff. Better
>>to toss it rather than take a chance by eating it and be on the throne
>>all night.

> Yep. My nose is super-sensitive, and I always err on the side of caution if
> something's been in the fridge a day longer than I like.
>
> Cate

If it's been in the fridge I'd just throw it back in the freezer. It'll
be fine

--
Steve

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you.
Bob (this one)

Cate wrote:

> I know, I know. I shouldn't do it. Having said that, how bad is it?
>
> Yesterday I pulled from the freezer some andouille sausage that was
> purchased at an Italian market in the Strip District in Pittsburgh. (We
> don't live there; this was a special trip.)
>
> Today it's totally thawed, but due to a change in plans we now won't be
> able to eat it until Saturday at the earliest. I'd rather refreeze it for
> later use.
>
> I know refreezing is bad, but I don't know why. Is it a texture issue, or
> one of bacteria? Or something else altogether?

Given constant refrigerator temperatures or lower, it's a texture
issue. Home freezing creates long spiky ice crystals that poke holes
in cell walls. That lets cellular liquids leak out. Net effect is
drier foods.

Pastorio

Cate

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Given constant refrigerator temperatures or lower, it's a texture
> issue. Home freezing creates long spiky ice crystals that poke holes
> in cell walls. That lets cellular liquids leak out. Net effect is
> drier foods.

Thanks for the info; this is the kind of stuff I like to know about.

Cate
Cate

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> Given constant refrigerator temperatures or lower, it's a texture
> issue. Home freezing creates long spiky ice crystals that poke holes
> in cell walls. That lets cellular liquids leak out. Net effect is
> drier foods.

Thanks for the info; this is the kind of stuff I like to know about.

Cate
Pierre

Cate wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
><snip>.
>
> Thanks for the info; this is the kind of stuff I like to know about.
>
> Cate

Cate, you'd probably enjoy reading "What Einstein Told His Cook:
Kitchen Science Explained" by Robert L. Wolke. . .very readable,
sometimes hilarious book; principles illustrated by demonstrative
recipes. Just don't cover tomato sauce with aluminum foil. I read it
in two nights. A real gas.

Pierre

Cate

"Pierre" > wrote in news:1106263982.192510.114740
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Cate, you'd probably enjoy reading "What Einstein Told His Cook:
> Kitchen Science Explained" by Robert L. Wolke. . .very readable,
> sometimes hilarious book; principles illustrated by demonstrative
> recipes. Just don't cover tomato sauce with aluminum foil.

Thanks for the recommendation! I actually like to know things like why I
shouldn't cover tomato sauce with foil. It also might help to solve some
food science-related disputes with Mr. Cate.

I'll check it out.

Cate

Chicken is thawed, now I don't want it... phaeton General Cooking 26 21-01-2012 07:06 AM
So I thawed out the rabbit... Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 12 14-08-2007 11:34 PM
Refreezing meat Terry[_1_] General Cooking 29 04-08-2007 07:40 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
refreezing thawed sausage Cate General Cooking 0 19-01-2005 05:13 PM