rosie

Default "lazy" corned beef

i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
spices and simmer all day.
works perfectly every time.

PENMART01

>"rosie" <readandpost> fesses up:
>
>i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
>throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
>spices and simmer all day.

Besides a total waste of a good piece of meat that's disgustingly gross... you
looking for a medal or condolences?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>"rosie" <readandpost> fesses up:
>
>i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
>throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
>spices and simmer all day.

Besides a total waste of a good piece of meat that's disgustingly gross... you
looking for a medal or condolences?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Charles Gifford

" rosie" > wrote in message
> i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
> throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
> spices and simmer all day.
> works perfectly every time.

I do that too on occasion. I only add about 1 cup of water though and that
is plenty.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

" rosie" > wrote in message
> i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
> throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
> spices and simmer all day.
> works perfectly every time.

I do that too on occasion. I only add about 1 cup of water though and that
is plenty.

Charlie

GMAJaskol

no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled better,more
tender,and better flavor.
stores just pawn off poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for profits
GMAJaskol

no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled better,more
tender,and better flavor.
stores just pawn off poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for profits
rosie

> no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled

better,more
> tender,and better flavor.

does everyone agree with this?

rosie

> no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled

better,more
> tender,and better flavor.

does everyone agree with this?

notbob

On 2004-03-13, rosie > wrote:
> i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
> throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
> spices and simmer all day.
> works perfectly every time.

I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for about 1 hour.

nb

notbob

On 2004-03-13, rosie > wrote:
> i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
> throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
> spices and simmer all day.
> works perfectly every time.

I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for about 1 hour.

nb
pavane

" rosie" > wrote in message

> > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled

> better,more
> > tender,and better flavor.

> does everyone agree with this?

I'd be amazed if anyone did.

pavane

pavane

" rosie" > wrote in message

> > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled

> better,more
> > tender,and better flavor.

> does everyone agree with this?

I'd be amazed if anyone did.

pavane

CaptCook

" rosie" wrote..
> > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled

> better,more
> > tender,and better flavor.

> does everyone agree with this?

It has been several years since I was involved but we used rounds and
took the time to let it cure. With a flat the time to let the spices
reach the center is less. Normally the time was 21 days.

CaptCook

" rosie" wrote..
> > no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled

> better,more
> > tender,and better flavor.

> does everyone agree with this?

It has been several years since I was involved but we used rounds and
took the time to let it cure. With a flat the time to let the spices
reach the center is less. Normally the time was 21 days.

Charles Gifford

"GMAJaskol" > wrote in message
> no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled better,more
> tender,and better flavor.
> stores just pawn off poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for

profits

Flank is an expensive cut these days. Most supermarket and deli corned beef
I know of is brisket. That is the cut I prefer. Others prefer round. Never
seen corned beef made from flank - that I know of.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"GMAJaskol" > wrote in message
> no deli I know uses flats all use rounds because its marbled better,more
> tender,and better flavor.
> stores just pawn off poor cut of flank to unknowlegable patrons for

profits

Flank is an expensive cut these days. Most supermarket and deli corned beef
I know of is brisket. That is the cut I prefer. Others prefer round. Never
seen corned beef made from flank - that I know of.

Charlie

limey

"notbob" wrote in message >
rosie wrote:
> > i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
> > throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
> > spices and simmer all day.
> > works perfectly every time.

> I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for about 1 hour.
>
> nb

There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for pressure
cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I fix corned
beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how
the pressure cooker version turns out.

Dora

limey

"notbob" wrote in message >
rosie wrote:
> > i buy as big and flat a corned beef as i can find.
> > throw it in my (large) slow cooker, cover with water, add packet of
> > spices and simmer all day.
> > works perfectly every time.

> I use 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for about 1 hour.
>
> nb

There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for pressure
cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I fix corned
beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how
the pressure cooker version turns out.

Dora

PENMART01

>There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for pressure
>cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I fix corned
>beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how
>the pressure cooker version turns out.
>
>Dora

Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies will disintergrate and
the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be inedible. Let us know.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for pressure
>cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I fix corned
>beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how
>the pressure cooker version turns out.
>
>Dora

Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies will disintergrate and
the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be inedible. Let us know.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Wendy Udelhoven

I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with cabbage. It was
yummmmmy!!!!!

Summerbreeze

Wendy Udelhoven

I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with cabbage. It was
yummmmmy!!!!!

Summerbreeze

rosie

sheldon,
what CUT of corned beef do you prefer?
flat? round?

--
read and post daily, it works!
rosie

republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and
then
get elected and prove it.
.......................... p. j. o'rourke

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for

pressure
> >cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I

fix corned
> >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to

see how
> >the pressure cooker version turns out.
> >
> >Dora

> Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies will

disintergrate and
> the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be inedible. Let

us know.

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

rosie

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for

pressure
> >cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I

fix corned
> >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to

see how
> >the pressure cooker version turns out.
> >
> >Dora

> Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies will

disintergrate and
> the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be inedible. Let

us know.

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

PENMART01

>sheldon,
>what CUT of corned beef do you prefer?
>flat? round?
>
>read and post daily, it works!
>rosie

Brisket.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>sheldon,
>what CUT of corned beef do you prefer?
>flat? round?
>
>read and post daily, it works!
>rosie

Brisket.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

limey

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for pressure
> >cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I fix

corned
> >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how
> >the pressure cooker version turns out.
> >
> >Dora

> Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies will disintergrate

and
> the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be inedible. Let us know.
>
> Sheldon

I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for just 5 - 7
minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a great one for trying new
recipes that usually bomb. We'll see - I'm using your recipe with which to
compare it, so it's probably already doomed.

Dora

Dora

limey

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >There's a great-sounding recipe on the SurLaTable website for pressure
> >cooked corned beef with vegetables. I'm ready to try it when I fix

corned
> >beef again. Sheldon - your recipe is excellent - I'm curious to see how
> >the pressure cooker version turns out.
> >
> >Dora

> Pressure cooked corned beef will be disgusting, veggies will disintergrate

and
> the entire mess will be soooooo saaaaalty it'll be inedible. Let us know.
>
> Sheldon

I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for just 5 - 7
minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a great one for trying new
recipes that usually bomb. We'll see - I'm using your recipe with which to
compare it, so it's probably already doomed.

Dora

Dora

Doug Cutler

So did I:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Course

1/2 pound small carrots
2 medium onions -- sliced
2 1/2 pound corned beef brisket -- (2 1/2 to 3)
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
2 teaspoon lightly shredded orange peel
6 whole cloves
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
6 cabbage wedges

Place carrots and onions in slow cooker. Rinse corned beef and pat dry,
Place on top of onions. Combine apple juice. brown sugar, orange peel,
cloves and mustard. Pour over the meat. Place cabbage wedges on top.
Cover, cook on Low 10-12 hrs, High 5-6 hrs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Wendy Udelhoven" > wrote in message
> I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with cabbage. It was
> yummmmmy!!!!!
>
> Summerbreeze

Doug Cutler

So did I:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Main Course

1/2 pound small carrots
2 medium onions -- sliced
2 1/2 pound corned beef brisket -- (2 1/2 to 3)
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
2 teaspoon lightly shredded orange peel
6 whole cloves
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
6 cabbage wedges

Place carrots and onions in slow cooker. Rinse corned beef and pat dry,
Place on top of onions. Combine apple juice. brown sugar, orange peel,
cloves and mustard. Pour over the meat. Place cabbage wedges on top.
Cover, cook on Low 10-12 hrs, High 5-6 hrs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"Wendy Udelhoven" > wrote in message
> I did the corned beef in the slow cooker yesterday with cabbage. It was
> yummmmmy!!!!!
>
> Summerbreeze

notbob

On 2004-03-18, limey > wrote:

> I'm just curious. All the veggies are pressure cooked for just 5 - 7
> minutes before shutting down the cooker. I'm a great one for trying new
> recipes that usually bomb. We'll see - I'm using your recipe with which to
> compare it, so it's probably already doomed.

That's the 3rd time I've seen that recipe at SurHiTab. It's also in my Kuhn
Rikon cookbook and on the Cooks Illustrated website.

Well anyway, I just finished up the corned beef I've been munchin' for the
last 3 days. It came out real nice. I didn't go for all the veggies, only
wanting cabbage. I cooked the corned beef in 1 C water and added the
cabbage at the very end and only cooked it for 5 mins. The beef was
exquisitely tender and the cabbage was just right. I reduced the water to 1
C because I didn't want to leach out all the flavor. I still had plenty of
liquid left. I think I'll try just 1/2 C of water next time.

nb
notbob