How To Clean Cornish Hens

Old 14-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Lou Vincze
Usenet poster

Default How To Clean Cornish Hens

Hi gang!

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
them?

Thanks!

Lou

Old 14-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Gal Called J.J.
Usenet poster

One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" said:

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
them?

I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Old 14-01-2005, 02:38 AM
Lou Vincze
Usenet poster

"Gal Called J.J." wrote in message
One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" said:

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
them?

I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?

Lou

Old 14-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

"Gal Called J.J." wrote in message
One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" said:

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean
them before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do
I clean them?

I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?

Lou

Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might also
consider brining them.

Wayne

Old 14-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Lou Vincze
Usenet poster

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Thu 13 Jan 2005 07:38:22p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
and tittered, and finally blurted out...

"Gal Called J.J." wrote in message
One time on Usenet, "Lou Vincze" said:

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean
them before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do
I clean them?

I give 'em a good rinse, inside and out, with cold water. Just remember
that you're dealing with raw poultry and disinfect accordingly...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF

Ok - rinse inside and out with cold water. Anything else?

Lou

Dry them thoroughly after rinsing, before you season them. You might also
consider brining them.

Wayne

Wayne:

What kind of seasoning do you recommend?

Old 14-01-2005, 03:24 AM
Wayne Boatwright
Usenet poster

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:15:10p, Lou Vincze tittered and giggled, and giggled
[...]

I often rub the hen, inside and out, with butter, salt, pepper, and
crumbled dried rosemary or chopped fresh rosemary, and put a small onion
(or piece) in the cavity.

If you'd prefer a sweet glaze, melted orange marmalade and butter is a
nice option. In that case, just use butter, salt, and pepper to rub the
hen - no herbs.

Wayne

Old 14-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Thomas Muffaletto
Usenet poster

"Lou Vincze" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi gang!

I purchased a 2-pack of Tyson frozen cornish hens. It says to clean them
before cooking. I"ve never prepared them before. How exactly do I clean
them?

Thanks!

Lou

I hope I did mine right.. I cleaned them the same way I do my chickens.
the other day I cooked 2 in my convection oven - THEY MADE A MESS.
I don't know what happen but it seemed like a fat pocket must have busted
and all the fat hit the drip pan and started smoking.
when it was done the inside of my oven was a mess.
it had this white slimy stuff all over the walls.
pretty nasty stuff. lol I used to think I was a good cook.
Tom
--
Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
Your American Diabetes Association

Old 14-01-2005, 04:14 AM
Thomas Muffaletto
Usenet poster

"Lou Vincze" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

I just clean and dry as stated - rub with olive oil,
salt and pepper inside and out. I think you could also use poultry
seasoning.
but take others advice over mine. I would also suggest you ask
about cooking tempt and time.
and dont forget what they said about handling raw poultry.
wash your hands and anything that might have been dripped
on while washing. I put all my seasonings in small containers
so I dont have to keep washing my hands between seasonings.
was everything you touch and that the poultry touches. sometimes while
washing I have noticed that the chicken will touch the top of the foucet.
and dont stick a nife in the mayo jar that may have raw poultry on it. ( i
actually seen someone do that )
I dont know what others here do but I treat all raw meat the same.
it may not be as bad as poultry but im sure it can cause germs.
Tom

Old 14-01-2005, 04:55 AM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

Wayne's recommendations for sanitation and preparation are good. Here
are a few variations of my own:

Put a satsuma orange (little, and in season now) in the cavity of each
bird, or else a quarter of a regular navel orange. Squeeze some orange
juice over the top of the birdies, and roast at 350 F for about 1 hour
in the middle of the oven.

I often spread olive oil around the bottom of the roasting pan with 1
clove of garlic.

Make a basting sauce of orange juice and balsamic vinegar, and baste
the hens about four times as they cook. (If these ingredients don't
sound appealing to you, experiment. Orange and soy sauce is a nice
variation Lemon juice and olive oil mingled with pan drippings also
make a nice basting sauce.) Add about 10 minutes of cooking time if you
baste.

bunches of fresh tarragon tucked under the skin is also good. You can
also sprinkle the skin with chopped tarragon leaves and bake. I also
add little white boiling onions to the pan as the birds roast.

Don't tell Dr. Atkins, but sometimes I sprinkle grated parmesan over
the game hen before roasting. It makes the skin extra crisp when the
bird is cooked.

Lingonberry sauce or cranberry sauce is very good with the cooked
birds.

Yes, I eat a lot of game hens. =o) I find them a good value, as I can
get dinner off half a birdie, and eat the other half cold for lunch,
and it's a cheapish, tasty treat.

Melissa

How Long Do I Roast 2 Cornish Game Hens? Margaret Suran General Cooking 33 13-04-2004 09:38 PM
Any ideas on cornish hens? Pete Barbecue 2 06-04-2004 05:37 PM
Cornish Hen pairing Young Martle Wine 4 19-03-2004 06:45 PM
Delicious Cornish Pasties now available for delivery fresh to your door ErikT Marketplace 0 08-11-2003 03:39 AM
Glazed Herb-infused Cornish Hens International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 29-10-2003 04:01 AM