paula

Default baked beans?

a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My question is - do
your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours are of various
brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are canned and
in a tomato sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in other
recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato sauce when canned.?
is it a law that everyone has to like tomato sauce, needless to say i
seldom eat them and when i do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix
with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast.
notbob

On 2004-03-12, paula > wrote:

> with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast....

Now see, that's what the main difference is. "..on toast"! American's
don't put beans on toast. It's uncivilized. On tortillas, on rice, on
paper plates, maybe even on a hotdog bun (w/ dog, as chili). Certainly,
with cheese, in many incarnations. But, never on toast. It just isn't
done.

nb
Kevin & Amanda

Hello Everyone: For the people who do at times eat can beans here is
an easy meal for you. The size baking dish you use will depend on
how many you are cooking for. Put a can of beans in the baking dish.
Take a can of spam and cut in slices. Dip the spam in maple syrup
then line the edges of the baking dish with the spam. Put your
favorite cheese on top of the beans then cook in the oven until the
cheese is the way that you like it. It is good served with slices of
a garden fresh tomato.
Have a nice sunny day. Amanda

Steve Dunbar

paula wrote:

>...My question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours
> are of various brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are
> canned and in a tomato sauce, ... why oh why are they always in tomato
> sauce when canned.?

There are some inferior brands of canned "baked" beans with tomato sauce
sold in the U.S., but proper baked beans don't include tomato sauce. Can
you get B&M beans in the U.K.?

<http://www.bmbeans.com/bm_products.html>

Steve

Steve Dunbar

paula wrote:

>...My question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours
> are of various brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are
> canned and in a tomato sauce, ... why oh why are they always in tomato
> sauce when canned.?

There are some inferior brands of canned "baked" beans with tomato sauce
sold in the U.S., but proper baked beans don't include tomato sauce. Can
you get B&M beans in the U.K.?

<http://www.bmbeans.com/bm_products.html>

Steve
Louis Cohen

Boston baked beans are baked in a closed ceramic beanpot for a long time
(5-6 hrs) at a low temperature. The beanpot includes vinegar, brown sugar,
molasses, and onion..

Beans on toast are not common in the USA, but we have seen the Osbournes
eating them on their TV show.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"paula" > wrote in message
om...
> a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My question is - do
> your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours are of various
> brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are canned and
> in a tomato sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
> amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in other
> recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato sauce when canned.?
> is it a law that everyone has to like tomato sauce, needless to say i
> seldom eat them and when i do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix
> with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast.

Louis Cohen

Boston baked beans are baked in a closed ceramic beanpot for a long time
(5-6 hrs) at a low temperature. The beanpot includes vinegar, brown sugar,
molasses, and onion..

Beans on toast are not common in the USA, but we have seen the Osbournes
eating them on their TV show.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"paula" > wrote in message
om...
> a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My question is - do
> your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours are of various
> brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are canned and
> in a tomato sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
> amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in other
> recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato sauce when canned.?
> is it a law that everyone has to like tomato sauce, needless to say i
> seldom eat them and when i do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix
> with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast.

Kevin & Amanda

Hello Everyone: I remember my Mother often making the old fashioned
home made baked beans in a bean pot. To the beans in the pot she
added about four slices of salt pork, some dry mustard, about one onion
sliced, and water that was completely covering the beans. They were
put in the oven about 11:00 AM and the oven was turned off around 4:00
or 4:30 PM. They were not soaked before cooking. If there were
any left over after the meal they were used for making bean sandwiches.
The beans were checked at least three or four times during the cooking
to be sure that they were still covered in water. If they were not
then water was added to cover them. If anyone has a bean recipe please
feel free to share. Have a nice night. Amanda

zxcvbob

Kevin & Amanda wrote:

> Hello Everyone: I remember my Mother often making the old fashioned
> home made baked beans in a bean pot. To the beans in the pot she
> added about four slices of salt pork, some dry mustard, about one onion
> sliced, and water that was completely covering the beans. They were
> put in the oven about 11:00 AM and the oven was turned off around 4:00
> or 4:30 PM. They were not soaked before cooking. If there were
> any left over after the meal they were used for making bean sandwiches.
> The beans were checked at least three or four times during the cooking
> to be sure that they were still covered in water. If they were not
> then water was added to cover them. If anyone has a bean recipe please
> feel free to share. Have a nice night. Amanda

Did you forget the molasses?

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

Kevin & Amanda wrote:

> Hello Everyone: I remember my Mother often making the old fashioned
> home made baked beans in a bean pot. To the beans in the pot she
> added about four slices of salt pork, some dry mustard, about one onion
> sliced, and water that was completely covering the beans. They were
> put in the oven about 11:00 AM and the oven was turned off around 4:00
> or 4:30 PM. They were not soaked before cooking. If there were
> any left over after the meal they were used for making bean sandwiches.
> The beans were checked at least three or four times during the cooking
> to be sure that they were still covered in water. If they were not
> then water was added to cover them. If anyone has a bean recipe please
> feel free to share. Have a nice night. Amanda

Did you forget the molasses?

Best regards,
Bob
Biff

Steve Dunbar > wrote in message >...
> paula wrote:
>
> >...My question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours
> > are of various brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are
> > canned and in a tomato sauce, ... why oh why are they always in tomato
> > sauce when canned.?

> There are some inferior brands of canned "baked" beans with tomato sauce
> sold in the U.S., but proper baked beans don't include tomato sauce. Can
> you get B&M beans in the U.K.?
>
> <http://www.bmbeans.com/bm_products.html>
>

> --

Hi,
Here in Toronto we have baked beans with pork and molasses, no tomato
sauce. They are very dark and very sweet.
Biff
Biff

Steve Dunbar > wrote in message >...
> paula wrote:
>
> >...My question is - do your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours
> > are of various brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are
> > canned and in a tomato sauce, ... why oh why are they always in tomato
> > sauce when canned.?

> There are some inferior brands of canned "baked" beans with tomato sauce
> sold in the U.S., but proper baked beans don't include tomato sauce. Can
> you get B&M beans in the U.K.?
>
> <http://www.bmbeans.com/bm_products.html>
>

> --

Hi,
Here in Toronto we have baked beans with pork and molasses, no tomato
sauce. They are very dark and very sweet.
Biff
Kevin & Amanda

Hello Bob: There were never any molasses in this recipe. I'm not
sure where the recipe comes from but these were made by my Grandmother
and then by my Mother. I don't know if it helps or not but I think
that all four of my Grandparents were born in Canada. Have a nice
sunny day. Amanda

Kate Connally

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My question is - do
> > your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours are of various
> > brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are canned and
> > in a tomato sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
> > amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in other
> > recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato sauce when canned.?
> > is it a law that everyone has to like tomato sauce, needless to say i
> > seldom eat them and when i do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix
> > with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast.
> >

> Baked beans are prepared in some sort of tomato base.

Not always. Boston-style baked beans have no tomatoes.
(At least authentic ones don't - but the ones you find
canned in the supermarket may have some tomato in them.)
Boston-style baked beans should have only molasses and
brown sugar and spices and onions and salt pork or bacon.

> However, you can
> get a variety of plain canned beans (cooked, salt added but no other
> flavorings or spices).

Yes, in the U.S. there are many different kinds of canned
beans. But the ones that are called "baked beans" have
a tomato-based sauce because "baked beans" is a specific
dish. (Although "canned" baked beans are not really baked
at all - they are just beans that are seasoned Here we have,
besides "baked beans", many types of just plain beans in
their own juices - things like great northerns, pintos,
red beans, black beans, etc. If you don't have anything
like that available then I guess you could just cook your
own beans from dried beans and then doctor them up any
way you like.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Donna Rose wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> > a lot has been written lately about baked beans. My question is - do
> > your baked beans in a can differ from ours(u.k.)ours are of various
> > brands( but heinz being a universally known one) they are canned and
> > in a tomato sauce, to be served with an english breakfast or on toast
> > amongst other things.we can buy the beans dried for use in other
> > recipes but why oh why are they always in tomato sauce when canned.?
> > is it a law that everyone has to like tomato sauce, needless to say i
> > seldom eat them and when i do i drain off all the tom sauce and mix
> > with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast.
> >

> Baked beans are prepared in some sort of tomato base.

Not always. Boston-style baked beans have no tomatoes.
(At least authentic ones don't - but the ones you find
canned in the supermarket may have some tomato in them.)
Boston-style baked beans should have only molasses and
brown sugar and spices and onions and salt pork or bacon.

> However, you can
> get a variety of plain canned beans (cooked, salt added but no other
> flavorings or spices).

Yes, in the U.S. there are many different kinds of canned
beans. But the ones that are called "baked beans" have
a tomato-based sauce because "baked beans" is a specific
dish. (Although "canned" baked beans are not really baked
at all - they are just beans that are seasoned Here we have,
besides "baked beans", many types of just plain beans in
their own juices - things like great northerns, pintos,
red beans, black beans, etc. If you don't have anything
like that available then I guess you could just cook your
own beans from dried beans and then doctor them up any
way you like.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Gerlonda Battles

Quick and easy way to "dress up" canned baked beans (not pork 'n beans).
Saute chopped green onions, bell pepper (only a few), celery, and a little
chopped garlic in a little vegetable oil until half cooked. Drain most
of the liquid from baked beans. Add sauteed vegetables, some dark brown
sugar, a little dry mustard, and a little worchestershire sauce. Either
bake in hot oven (375-400 degrees) about 30 mins or partially cover and
simmer about 10 mins on the range.

Especially good with any barbecue.

paula

notbob > wrote in message news:<lKr4c.18429$zS4.174874@attbi_s51>...
> On 2004-03-12, paula > wrote:
>
> > with grated cheese and melt together and serve on toast....

> Now see, that's what the main difference is. "..on toast"! American's
> don't put beans on toast. It's uncivilized. On tortillas, on rice, on
> paper plates, maybe even on a hotdog bun (w/ dog, as chili). Certainly,
> with cheese, in many incarnations. But, never on toast. It just isn't
> done.
>
> nb

i think you are thinking of different beans to ours. It is not
uncivilised at all to put our beans on toast, no more than you putting
yours on rice(YUK)
paula