ben

Default refreezing chicken pieces

Hi,

On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and into
the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
problem doing that?

Thanks,
Ben

--
"What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"

Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

Dimitri

"ben" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and

into
> the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
> them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
> problem doing that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

<snip> No problem if they have been kept at the proper temperature. You
will lose some additional flavor and texture but with the cardboard chicken
they sell today it's not going to make any difference. Make sure when you do
finally cook it you cook it to the proper temperature.

Dimitri

Matt

I have done what you are asking about and I've never had a problem. It does
seem like it could be a bad idea, but I agree that if you keep it at the
proper temperature, it should be ok. Obivously bringing it outside in the
sun for a couple hours and then refreezing would be a bad idea. : )

Matt
www.itsacookbook.com
"ben" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and

into
> the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
> them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
> problem doing that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
>
> Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
> 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
> connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

The Wolf

On 03/12/2004 9:13 AM, in article ,
"Matt" > opined:

www.itsacookbook.com
> "ben" > wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and

> into
>> the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
>> them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
>> problem doing that?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
>> --
>> "What passes for wisdom may only be eloquent foolishness"
>>
>> Cheap long distance calling using Onesuite (http://www.onesuite.com).
>> 2.5 cents/min anywhere in the U.S., to Canada or the U.K. No monthly or
>> connection fees! Use promotional code 038664643 for 20 free minutes.

I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken sometimes it is
partially frozen. It seems like they buy it frozen and thaw it on display.

"When a broad table is to be made, and the edges of planks do not fit, the
artist takes a little from both, and makes a good joint. In like manner
here, both sides must part with some of their demands," Benjamin Franklin
(1706-1790)

Dave Smith

ben wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and into
> the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
> them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
> problem doing that?

That can be very dangerous.

Peter Aitken

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> ben wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and

into
> > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
> > them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
> > problem doing that?

> That can be very dangerous.

That's not true. I used to believe it, but a couple of years ago we had an
ice storm that knocked out power for a few days. There were various food
safety experts on the radio answering questions, one of them being the
refreezing of food that thawed but has been kept cold for a day or 2. No
problem, was the answer they gave. It might affect the quality/texture of
the food but there is no danger.

--
Peter Aitken

Default User

Dave Smith wrote:

> ben wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and into
> > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
> > them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
> > problem doing that?

> That can be very dangerous.

Why?

Brian Rodenborn
Dave Smith

Default User wrote:

> > > On Wednesday morning I took some chicken pieces out of the freezer and into
> > > the fridge to defrost. Now on Friday I am considering refreezing some of
> > > them. Since they were in the fridge the whole time, would there be a
> > > problem doing that?

> > That can be very dangerous.

> Why?

You run the risk of eating spoiled meat. According to the sites I checked, you
should check poultry that has been at less than 45 F for smell. If it smells okay
it can be re-frozen but should be used as soon as possible. Poultry that has been
stored at temperatures over 45 F should be discarded.

Having once had a good dose of food poisoning, (thanks to a Chile dog in a
restaurant), I can assure you that a few dollars worth of chicken is not worth the
risk.

Frogleg

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:14:20 GMT, The Wolf >
wrote:

>I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken sometimes it is
>partially frozen. It seems like they buy it frozen and thaw it on display.

I asked a supermarket butcher about the same thing. 'Freah' chicken is
often (always?) "superchilled" before shipping, which isn't *quite*
the same as freezing. When I pointed out to the butcher that not only
was there frost on the packages, but the meat was pretty hard in
spots, he shrugged and said that's the way it's shipped and he doesn't
know much more.
Frogleg

wrote:

>I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken sometimes it is
>partially frozen. It seems like they buy it frozen and thaw it on display.

I asked a supermarket butcher about the same thing. 'Freah' chicken is
often (always?) "superchilled" before shipping, which isn't *quite*
the same as freezing. When I pointed out to the butcher that not only
was there frost on the packages, but the meat was pretty hard in
spots, he shrugged and said that's the way it's shipped and he doesn't
know much more.

BOB

Frogleg wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:14:20 GMT, The Wolf >
> wrote:
>
>> I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken sometimes it is
>> partially frozen. It seems like they buy it frozen and thaw it on display.

> I asked a supermarket butcher about the same thing. 'Freah' chicken is
> often (always?) "superchilled" before shipping, which isn't *quite*
> the same as freezing. When I pointed out to the butcher that not only
> was there frost on the packages, but the meat was pretty hard in
> spots, he shrugged and said that's the way it's shipped and he doesn't
> know much more.

Please don't call this guy a butcher. He's never been near a real butcher and
couldn't care any less about the meat tha he handles, or anything about you, as
a customer.

BOB

BOB

Frogleg wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:14:20 GMT, The Wolf >
> wrote:
>
>> I've wondered about this because where I buy my chicken sometimes it is
>> partially frozen. It seems like they buy it frozen and thaw it on display.

> I asked a supermarket butcher about the same thing. 'Freah' chicken is
> often (always?) "superchilled" before shipping, which isn't *quite*
> the same as freezing. When I pointed out to the butcher that not only
> was there frost on the packages, but the meat was pretty hard in
> spots, he shrugged and said that's the way it's shipped and he doesn't
> know much more.

Please don't call this guy a butcher. He's never been near a real butcher and
couldn't care any less about the meat tha he handles, or anything about you, as
a customer.

BOB

Barbecue Sauce for 600 pieces of chicken :) Fred/Libby Barclay General Cooking 8 06-07-2008 01:42 PM
Brining chicken pieces, then smoking? 43fan[_2_] Barbecue 1 02-08-2007 07:02 PM
Chicken bits and pieces for making stock? Phred General Cooking 54 27-10-2006 10:01 PM
Refreezing BBQ Terry General Cooking 3 17-06-2006 11:17 PM
Refreezing food [email protected] General Cooking 3 09-01-2006 05:01 AM