Soupy Baked Beans - Best way to thicken??

Old 10-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Bunny McElwee
Usenet poster

Default Soupy Baked Beans - Best way to thicken??

I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this weekend. its
for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans (117 oz. Original
Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans in the past a
few times, and when using canned beans, it always seems as though they turn
out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute to
the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the
juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch?
Whats the best method for introducing the thickening agent into the beans
and when? Thanks for any and all help!

--
Bunny McElwee
President, Lowcountry Miata Club

1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
"BlueFlash"

Old 13-03-2004, 05:10 AM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

PENMART01 wrote:
"Bunny McElwee"

I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this weekend. its
for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans (117 oz. Original
Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans in the past a
few times, and when using canned beans, it always seems as though they turn
out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute to
the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the
juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch?
Whats the best method for introducing the thickening agent into the beans
and when? Thanks for any and all help!

Bunny

Nothing to add... evaporate some of the water, a five minute boil in a wide
pan, will reduce to a perfect consistancy.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Sheldon's right. Just boil 'em down a little. You can also put them in a
lasagna pan and bake them uncovered to evaporate some of the moisture if
you're afraid you will burn them on the stove.

Bob

Old 15-03-2004, 03:22 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

sf wrote:
On 11 Mar 2004 08:57:33 -0800, (Lynn
Gifford) wrote:

I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month.
I favor the long slow oven method for thickening.
In addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon stuff,
I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks are too big).
Lynn from Fargo

Long & slow is the perfect method for "from scratch"...
we were talking about canned beans.

The same still applied to canned baked beans.