limey

Default Finally - hard to believe

DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
tomorrow.....

Annie (aka Dora)

notbob

On 2005-01-09, limey > wrote:
> DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> tomorrow.....

DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
(central office). The farther, the slower. Do some research before you
buy. It may be you are so far from the CO you will get speeds no faster
than your current dial-up speeds, yet pay much more for them. The DSL ISP's
charge the same no matter the speed. You can learn everything you need
to know he

http://www.dslreports.com/

If you still have some questions, I'll try and answer them.

nb
kalanamak

notbob wrote:

> On 2005-01-09, limey > wrote:
> > DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> > can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> > tomorrow.....

> DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
> (central office).

We have some sort of "booster" just down the street. It took them weeks
to figure out it was there (ours wouldn't work without it) and kept
telling us it wasn't working because of a lamp or something emitting
electromagnetic fields. They came so often the dog got to know them all
and would let them in when we weren't home. They finally ran a wire
"straight to the dragon's mouth" (I found using the lingo of the
repairment meant the staff believed us on the phone) and decided it
wasn't in our house. One of our usual 3 was out, a replacement came and
he said 'oh there is this booster down the street and we need to run
through that' Immediate cure, almost NO hassles since. That was 1999.
kalanamak

notbob wrote:

> On 2005-01-09, limey > wrote:
> > DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> > can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> > tomorrow.....

> DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
> (central office).

We have some sort of "booster" just down the street. It took them weeks
to figure out it was there (ours wouldn't work without it) and kept
telling us it wasn't working because of a lamp or something emitting
electromagnetic fields. They came so often the dog got to know them all
and would let them in when we weren't home. They finally ran a wire
"straight to the dragon's mouth" (I found using the lingo of the
repairment meant the staff believed us on the phone) and decided it
wasn't in our house. One of our usual 3 was out, a replacement came and
he said 'oh there is this booster down the street and we need to run
through that' Immediate cure, almost NO hassles since. That was 1999.
Steve Pope

notbob wrote:

> DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
> (central office).

I would say they're inversely proportional rather than directly
proportional, but then, I'm just a nerd about these things.

S.

Steve Pope

notbob wrote:

> DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
> (central office).

I would say they're inversely proportional rather than directly
proportional, but then, I'm just a nerd about these things.

S.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 08 Jan 2005 09:54:08p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-09, limey > wrote:
>> DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been
>> advised we can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with
>> that. Tomorrow, tomorrow.....

> DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
> (central office). The farther, the slower. Do some research before you
> buy. It may be you are so far from the CO you will get speeds no faster
> than your current dial-up speeds, yet pay much more for them. The DSL
> ISP's charge the same no matter the speed. You can learn everything you
> need to know he

We've just set up DSL a couple of weeks ago, having waited for its
availability for some time. We're either lucky or quite near the CO, as we
are getting excellent speed and reliability. Setup was a breeze, including
adding the wireless card for the 2nd machine.

We couldn't get hi-speed cable as our community is serviced by only a local
cable company and they don't offer it.

I was desparate to get a hi-speed line as my office allows us to work from
home 80% of the time if we have it.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 08 Jan 2005 09:54:08p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-09, limey > wrote:
>> DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been
>> advised we can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with
>> that. Tomorrow, tomorrow.....

> DSL speeds are directly proportional on how far you live from the CO
> (central office). The farther, the slower. Do some research before you
> buy. It may be you are so far from the CO you will get speeds no faster
> than your current dial-up speeds, yet pay much more for them. The DSL
> ISP's charge the same no matter the speed. You can learn everything you
> need to know he

We've just set up DSL a couple of weeks ago, having waited for its
availability for some time. We're either lucky or quite near the CO, as we
are getting excellent speed and reliability. Setup was a breeze, including
adding the wireless card for the 2nd machine.

We couldn't get hi-speed cable as our community is serviced by only a local
cable company and they don't offer it.

I was desparate to get a hi-speed line as my office allows us to work from
home 80% of the time if we have it.

Wayne
notbob

On 2005-01-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> We're either lucky or quite near the CO, as we
> are getting excellent speed and reliability.....

dslreports has wizards that will tell you how far you are from your CO and
what kind of speeds you can expect.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 08 Jan 2005 11:51:12p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> We're either lucky or quite near the CO, as we are getting excellent
>> speed and reliability.....

> dslreports has wizards that will tell you how far you are from your CO and
> what kind of speeds you can expect.
>
> nb

Thanks, nb! Interesting site. My estimated distance from the CO is 11,040.
My speed tests were excellent.

Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 08 Jan 2005 11:51:12p, notbob tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 2005-01-09, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> We're either lucky or quite near the CO, as we are getting excellent
>> speed and reliability.....

> dslreports has wizards that will tell you how far you are from your CO and
> what kind of speeds you can expect.
>
> nb

Thanks, nb! Interesting site. My estimated distance from the CO is 11,040.
My speed tests were excellent.

Wayne

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:

> DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> tomorrow.....

Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
can be amazing...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:

> DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> tomorrow.....

Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
can be amazing...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
Steve Calvin

Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:
>

>>DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
>>can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
>>tomorrow.....

> Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
> can be amazing...

True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I
would check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb download
speeds wireless.

--
Steve

Life should *not* be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather
to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming, "WHOO HOOOOO, what a ride!"
limey

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Gal Called J.J. wrote:
>> One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:
>>

>>>DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised
>>>we can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that.
>>>Tomorrow, tomorrow.....

>> Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
>> can be amazing...
>>

> True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I would
> check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb download speeds
> wireless.
>
> --
> Steve

Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better or
worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I erred? - I
considered cable but our cable service goes out so much that I felt the same
would happen to the computer - was I incorrect? I usually am. ;-(

Dora

limey

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Gal Called J.J. wrote:
>> One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:
>>

>>>DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised
>>>we can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that.
>>>Tomorrow, tomorrow.....

>> Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
>> can be amazing...
>>

> True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I would
> check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb download speeds
> wireless.
>
> --
> Steve

Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better or
worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I erred? - I
considered cable but our cable service goes out so much that I felt the same
would happen to the computer - was I incorrect? I usually am. ;-(

Dora

jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Gal Called J.J. wrote:

>>> Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the
>>> difference can be amazing...
>>>

>> True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I
>> would check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb
>> download speeds wireless.
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better
> or worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I
> erred? - I considered cable but our cable service goes out so much
> that I felt the same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect?
> I usually am. ;-(
>
> Dora

Dora, I don't know who your DSL provider is; mine is my local telephone
company (BellSouth). Everyone I know who has cable complains about how much
it goes out. Then it takes days or weeks for them to react to the problem.
I don't think you made a bad decision. In my area, when DSL goes out it
normally means the phone service isn't working either and they jump right on
it. The speed is also very, very good (at least here).

Jill (got your new email addy, thanks!)

jmcquown

limey wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Gal Called J.J. wrote:

>>> Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the
>>> difference can be amazing...
>>>

>> True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I
>> would check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb
>> download speeds wireless.
>>
>> --
>> Steve

> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better
> or worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I
> erred? - I considered cable but our cable service goes out so much
> that I felt the same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect?
> I usually am. ;-(
>
> Dora

Dora, I don't know who your DSL provider is; mine is my local telephone
company (BellSouth). Everyone I know who has cable complains about how much
it goes out. Then it takes days or weeks for them to react to the problem.
I don't think you made a bad decision. In my area, when DSL goes out it
normally means the phone service isn't working either and they jump right on
it. The speed is also very, very good (at least here).

Jill (got your new email addy, thanks!)

Steve Calvin

limey wrote:

> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better or
> worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I erred? - I
> considered cable but our cable service goes out so much that I felt the same
> would happen to the computer - was I incorrect? I usually am. ;-(
>
> Dora

Nope, if you're cable goes out often then so would your system access. I
guess we're lucky here. I can only recall once in 3 years that our cable
when out.

--
Steve

Life should *not* be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather
to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming, "WHOO HOOOOO, what a ride!"
Steve Calvin

limey wrote:

> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better or
> worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I erred? - I
> considered cable but our cable service goes out so much that I felt the same
> would happen to the computer - was I incorrect? I usually am. ;-(
>
> Dora

Nope, if you're cable goes out often then so would your system access. I
guess we're lucky here. I can only recall once in 3 years that our cable
when out.

--
Steve

Life should *not* be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather
to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming, "WHOO HOOOOO, what a ride!"

limey

"jmcquown" wrote in message >
limey wrote:

>> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better
>> or worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I
>> erred? - I considered cable but our cable service goes out so much
>> that I felt the same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect?
>> I usually am. ;-(
>>
>> Dora

> Dora, I don't know who your DSL provider is; mine is my local telephone
> company (BellSouth). Everyone I know who has cable complains about how
> much
> it goes out. Then it takes days or weeks for them to react to the
> problem.
> I don't think you made a bad decision. In my area, when DSL goes out it
> normally means the phone service isn't working either and they jump right
> on
> it. The speed is also very, very good (at least here).
>
> Jill (got your new email addy, thanks!)

Thanks, Jill - you've eased my mind and confirmed my fears about cable.
It's a local company and notoriously hard to deal with.
In the 18 years I've lived here I've only known the phone company to go down
once - in a severe ice storm. Our lines are underground, but older lines
aren't and gave the phone company fits in that storm.

Dora

limey

"jmcquown" wrote in message >
limey wrote:

>> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better
>> or worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I
>> erred? - I considered cable but our cable service goes out so much
>> that I felt the same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect?
>> I usually am. ;-(
>>
>> Dora

> Dora, I don't know who your DSL provider is; mine is my local telephone
> company (BellSouth). Everyone I know who has cable complains about how
> much
> it goes out. Then it takes days or weeks for them to react to the
> problem.
> I don't think you made a bad decision. In my area, when DSL goes out it
> normally means the phone service isn't working either and they jump right
> on
> it. The speed is also very, very good (at least here).
>
> Jill (got your new email addy, thanks!)

Thanks, Jill - you've eased my mind and confirmed my fears about cable.
It's a local company and notoriously hard to deal with.
In the 18 years I've lived here I've only known the phone company to go down
once - in a severe ice storm. Our lines are underground, but older lines
aren't and gave the phone company fits in that storm.

Dora

limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message > limey wrote:

>> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better or
>> worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I erred? - I
>> considered cable but our cable service goes out so much that I felt the
>> same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect? I usually am. ;-(
>>
>> Dora

> Nope, if you're cable goes out often then so would your system access. I
> guess we're lucky here. I can only recall once in 3 years that our cable
> when out.
>
> Steve

Our cable is very unreliable. Some days it goes in and out, in and out.
A big fee for very poor service.

Dora

Steve Calvin

limey wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" wrote in message > limey wrote:
>
>>>Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better or
>>>worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I erred? - I
>>>considered cable but our cable service goes out so much that I felt the
>>>same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect? I usually am. ;-(
>>>
>>>Dora

>>Nope, if you're cable goes out often then so would your system access. I
>>guess we're lucky here. I can only recall once in 3 years that our cable
>>when out.
>>
>>Steve

> Our cable is very unreliable. Some days it goes in and out, in and out.
> A big fee for very poor service.
>
> Dora

Ours doesn't do that <knockin' on wood> I couldn't tolorate that at all
as I frequently work from home and need high speed and reliable
connections for the graphics that I work with.

--
Steve

Life should *not* be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather
to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming, "WHOO HOOOOO, what a ride!"
limey

limey wrote:

>> Our cable is very unreliable. Some days it goes in and out, in and out.
>> A big fee for very poor service.
>>
>> Dora
>>

> Ours doesn't do that <knockin' on wood> I couldn't tolorate that at all
> as I frequently work from home and need high speed and reliable
> connections for the graphics that I work with.
>
> Steve

Right now, I'm busy going bonkers. We have a second computer in another
room and I'm trying to get it set up to work with home networking instead of
dial-up. I think I must be missing a necessary part. All the phone
company rep said was, "No problem - we'll send you a router." Sigh.

Dora

limey

limey wrote:

>> Our cable is very unreliable. Some days it goes in and out, in and out.
>> A big fee for very poor service.
>>
>> Dora
>>

> Ours doesn't do that <knockin' on wood> I couldn't tolorate that at all
> as I frequently work from home and need high speed and reliable
> connections for the graphics that I work with.
>
> Steve

Right now, I'm busy going bonkers. We have a second computer in another
room and I'm trying to get it set up to work with home networking instead of
dial-up. I think I must be missing a necessary part. All the phone
company rep said was, "No problem - we'll send you a router." Sigh.

Dora

Steve Pope

limey > wrote:

> Right now, I'm busy going bonkers. We have a second
> computer in another room and I'm trying to get it set up to work
> with home networking instead of dial-up. I think I must be
> missing a necessary part. All the phone company rep said was,
> "No problem - we'll send you a router." Sigh.

A router's a good idea. It is possible for two computers
to share a broadband connection without a router, using
Microsoft Home Networking and an extra ethernet card
in one of them, but in my opinion it'll go much smoother with a router.

Steve
Steve Pope

limey > wrote:

> Right now, I'm busy going bonkers. We have a second
> computer in another room and I'm trying to get it set up to work
> with home networking instead of dial-up. I think I must be
> missing a necessary part. All the phone company rep said was,
> "No problem - we'll send you a router." Sigh.

A router's a good idea. It is possible for two computers
to share a broadband connection without a router, using
Microsoft Home Networking and an extra ethernet card
in one of them, but in my opinion it'll go much smoother with a router.

Steve
Steve Pope

limey > wrote:

> Yes, I have the wireless modem/router and an Ethernet cable in
> the first computer but I can't get the second computer connected.
> Am I missing an adapter?

Assuming you have either a wireless adapter in the second computer,
or an ethernet cable leading from that computer to one of the
wired ports on the wireless router, you're not missing any hardware.

Good luck.

Steve
Steve Pope

limey > wrote:

> Yes, I have the wireless modem/router and an Ethernet cable in
> the first computer but I can't get the second computer connected.
> Am I missing an adapter?

Assuming you have either a wireless adapter in the second computer,
or an ethernet cable leading from that computer to one of the
wired ports on the wireless router, you're not missing any hardware.

Good luck.

Steve

Steve Calvin

Steve Pope wrote:
> limey > wrote:
>

>>Yes, I have the wireless modem/router and an Ethernet cable in
>>the first computer but I can't get the second computer connected.
>>Am I missing an adapter?

> Assuming you have either a wireless adapter in the second computer,
> or an ethernet cable leading from that computer to one of the
> wired ports on the wireless router, you're not missing any hardware.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Steve

Dora,
As Steve P. queried: do you have the second system wired to the router
with an ethernet cable? If not, what kind of wireless router are you
using, what kind of pcmia wireless card and what are the symptoms?

--
Steve

Life should *not* be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather
to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming, "WHOO HOOOOO, what a ride!"
Steve Calvin

Steve Pope wrote:
> limey > wrote:
>

>>Yes, I have the wireless modem/router and an Ethernet cable in
>>the first computer but I can't get the second computer connected.
>>Am I missing an adapter?

> Assuming you have either a wireless adapter in the second computer,
> or an ethernet cable leading from that computer to one of the
> wired ports on the wireless router, you're not missing any hardware.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Steve

Dora,
As Steve P. queried: do you have the second system wired to the router
with an ethernet cable? If not, what kind of wireless router are you
using, what kind of pcmia wireless card and what are the symptoms?

--
Steve

Life should *not* be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather
to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming, "WHOO HOOOOO, what a ride!"
limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
>> limey > wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, I have the wireless modem/router and an Ethernet cable in
>>>the first computer but I can't get the second computer connected.
>>>Am I missing an adapter?

>> Assuming you have either a wireless adapter in the second computer,
>> or an ethernet cable leading from that computer to one of the
>> wired ports on the wireless router, you're not missing any hardware.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Steve

> Dora,
> As Steve P. queried: do you have the second system wired to the router
> with an ethernet cable? If not, what kind of wireless router are you
> using, what kind of pcmia wireless card and what are the symptoms?
>
> --
> Steve

Well, after wading through countless screens and menus, it's obvious that to
make a wireless connection for the second computer we need a Westell 802.11g
Wireless USB adapter, for $60. That info was buried deep in the Verizon
nether regions. It's more practical for us than running an ethernet cable
from the second computer.

Incidentally, the 24/7 advertised techies work
a standard Monday - Friday work week. Ha.

I really appreciate your help, Steve. If you want to e-mail me direct, I'm
at limey108 at verizon dot net - so we don't bore people to death! Many
thanks for all you've told me.

Dora

limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
>> limey > wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, I have the wireless modem/router and an Ethernet cable in
>>>the first computer but I can't get the second computer connected.
>>>Am I missing an adapter?

>> Assuming you have either a wireless adapter in the second computer,
>> or an ethernet cable leading from that computer to one of the
>> wired ports on the wireless router, you're not missing any hardware.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Steve

> Dora,
> As Steve P. queried: do you have the second system wired to the router
> with an ethernet cable? If not, what kind of wireless router are you
> using, what kind of pcmia wireless card and what are the symptoms?
>
> --
> Steve

Well, after wading through countless screens and menus, it's obvious that to
make a wireless connection for the second computer we need a Westell 802.11g
Wireless USB adapter, for $60. That info was buried deep in the Verizon
nether regions. It's more practical for us than running an ethernet cable
from the second computer.

Incidentally, the 24/7 advertised techies work
a standard Monday - Friday work week. Ha.

I really appreciate your help, Steve. If you want to e-mail me direct, I'm
at limey108 at verizon dot net - so we don't bore people to death! Many
thanks for all you've told me.

Dora

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:
> >

> >>DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> >>can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> >>tomorrow.....

> > Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
> > can be amazing...
> >

> True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I
> would check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb download
> speeds wireless.

8.5MB, jeeze I was happy with my 4MB download pipe. But we still get the
short end of the stick in the U.S. - Japan for example has 10MBps
service and it costs less than the $39.99 we usually pay here in the
U.S.

But then Japan is a country that got pretty much obliterated 60 years
ago so the infrastructure is much newer than what we have in the U.S.
Some of the telephone cable plant in my area is at least 40 to 60 years
old and showing its age.

Meanwhile the cable company strings up all new coax and fiber/coax
hybrid and beats the phone companies at their own game.

What's interesting is that I recently switched to VoIP because I was
tired of paying $88 a month for the same services I now get at $25 a
month. Not two weeks after the switch I get a call from Cox asking if
I'd be interested in their VoIP setup when its available. Guess what the
price will be - $18.99. Guess where I'll be going.

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> Gal Called J.J. wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "limey" > said:
> >

> >>DSL has finally arrived in our neck of the boonies. We've been advised we
> >>can install it after 6 p.m. this evening but the heck with that. Tomorrow,
> >>tomorrow.....

> > Congrats! I remember when I finally got DSL (Oct. '03); the difference
> > can be amazing...
> >

> True, DSL is a great improvement over dial-up. If available though I
> would check out cable. I have Optimum Online and average 8.5Mb download
> speeds wireless.

8.5MB, jeeze I was happy with my 4MB download pipe. But we still get the
short end of the stick in the U.S. - Japan for example has 10MBps
service and it costs less than the $39.99 we usually pay here in the
U.S.

But then Japan is a country that got pretty much obliterated 60 years
ago so the infrastructure is much newer than what we have in the U.S.
Some of the telephone cable plant in my area is at least 40 to 60 years
old and showing its age.

Meanwhile the cable company strings up all new coax and fiber/coax
hybrid and beats the phone companies at their own game.

What's interesting is that I recently switched to VoIP because I was
tired of paying $88 a month for the same services I now get at $25 a
month. Not two weeks after the switch I get a call from Cox asking if
I'd be interested in their VoIP setup when its available. Guess what the
price will be - $18.99. Guess where I'll be going.

Tony P.

In article >, says...

> "jmcquown" wrote in message >
> limey wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, tomorrow arrived (this morning) and we installed DSL for better
> >> or worse. It seems pretty darned quick after dial-up. Maybe I
> >> erred? - I considered cable but our cable service goes out so much
> >> that I felt the same would happen to the computer - was I incorrect?
> >> I usually am. ;-(
> >>
> >> Dora

> > Dora, I don't know who your DSL provider is; mine is my local telephone
> > company (BellSouth). Everyone I know who has cable complains about how
> > much
> > it goes out. Then it takes days or weeks for them to react to the
> > problem.
> > I don't think you made a bad decision. In my area, when DSL goes out it
> > normally means the phone service isn't working either and they jump right
> > on
> > it. The speed is also very, very good (at least here).
> >
> > Jill (got your new email addy, thanks!)

> Thanks, Jill - you've eased my mind and confirmed my fears about cable.
> It's a local company and notoriously hard to deal with.
> In the 18 years I've lived here I've only known the phone company to go down
> once - in a severe ice storm. Our lines are underground, but older lines
> aren't and gave the phone company fits in that storm.
>
> Dora

In the last fifteen years my phone has gone out numerous times because
the pair was stolen at the pole by install techs who didn't know how to
ANAC a line and get the number before taking the pair.

We won't even get into the 1.5 years I never got a phone bill because of
their negligence, or how it took me six months to get a reliable phone
because every time it rained or was windy my line went to hell.

Cable on the other hand has been rock solid.
Tony P.

In article >, says...

finally PLucas General Cooking 3 09-03-2010 12:24 AM
(2007-10-09) New survey on the RFC site: Hard-cooked/Hard-boiledeggs ChattyCathy General Cooking 17 14-10-2007 09:12 PM
I finally got a WSM JohnO Barbecue 14 25-06-2007 12:57 AM
bread flour options - hard red vs. hard white Eric Jorgensen Baking 0 09-07-2004 07:45 PM