Melba's Jammin'

Default Soupy Baked Beans - Best way to thicken??

In article >, "Bunny McElwee"
> wrote:

> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this
> weekend. its for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of
> beans (117 oz. Original Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare.
> I've made baked beans in the past a few times, and when using
> canned beans, it always seems as though they turn out too soupy.
> I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to
> contribute to the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to
> thicken the "gravy" produced when using canned beans and adding
> agents that seem to loosen the juice even further, such as sugar
> and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch? Whats the best method for
> introducing the thickening agent into the beans and when? Thanks
> for any and all help!

I wouldn't try to thicken it; I'd drain some off.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-8-04.
Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
Peter Aitken

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this weekend.

its
> for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans (117 oz. Original
> Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans in the past a
> few times, and when using canned beans, it always seems as though they

turn
> out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses

and
> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute to
> the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
> produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the
> juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch?
> Whats the best method for introducing the thickening agent into the beans
> and when? Thanks for any and all help!
>

> --

Strain the beans. Mix a small amount of the beans (5-10% perhaps) with the
liquid and mash thoroughly, then remix with the beans.

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

> "Bunny McElwee"
> wrote:
>
>> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this
>> weekend. its for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of
>> beans (117 oz. Original Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare.
>> I've made baked beans in the past a few times, and when using
>> canned beans, it always seems as though they turn out too soupy.
>> I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
>> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to
>> contribute to the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to
>> thicken the "gravy" produced when using canned beans and adding
>> agents that seem to loosen the juice even further, such as sugar
>> and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch? Whats the best method for
>> introducing the thickening agent into the beans and when? Thanks
>> for any and all help!

>I wouldn't try to thicken it; I'd drain some off.
>--
>-Barb

Yeah, but... then some flavor is lost... that would be like tossing some juice
from your jam squishings down the drain... reduce.

I reduce canned bean juice to get rid of the wateryness all the time,
intensifies the flavor too... of course the ultimate is to toss a few good
natural casing dogs into the pot and let is simmer for a half hour... liquid
reduces, dogs cook, and it tastes yummy! But then I dilute it anyway, by
sucking down a couple tall cool brewskis.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Arri London

Bunny McElwee wrote:

> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this weekend. its
> for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans (117 oz. Original
> Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans in the past a
> few times, and when using canned beans, it always seems as though they turn
> out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute to
> the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
> produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the
> juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch?
> Whats the best method for introducing the thickening agent into the beans
> and when? Thanks for any and all help!
>
> --
> Bunny McElwee

Drain the beans in a sieve and collect the liquid. Boil that down until
it's thick, then add the beans and reheat.

Alternatively, take a few spoons of beans out and mash them to a paste.
Mix the bean paste back into the rest of the beans.
PENMART01

>Arri London
>
>Drain the beans in a sieve and collect the liquid. Boil that down until
>it's thick, then add the beans and reheat.

Why dirty a sieve,simply heat the entire contents to the boil, within three
minutes the liquid will have been appropriately reduced... the beans need
heating anyway... logic. Do you dress yourself?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Tracey

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
.. I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute to
> the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
> produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the
> juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses?

Cook them in a casserole dish in the oven for a LONG time on a low
temperature.

Wayne Boatwright

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in
:

> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this
> weekend. its
> for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans (117 oz.
> Original Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans
> in the past a few times, and when using canned beans, it always seems
> as though they turn out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard,
> brown sugar, molasses and sometimes I've even added honey. All of
> these items seem to contribute to the soupiness of the beans. What is
> the best way to thicken the "gravy" produced when using canned beans
> and adding agents that seem to loosen the juice even further, such as
> sugar and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch? Whats the best method for
> introducing the thickening agent into the beans and when? Thanks for
> any and all help!

Eliminating part of the liquid is a good way to solve the problem. The
following recipe is excellent and calls for Bush's Baked Beans.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Special Baked Beans

Recipe By : Robb Dabbs
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Side dish Vegetables

2 cn (28-oz) Bush's baked beans
1/2 lb Bacon, diced
1 2-inch yellow onion, diced
3 tb Light brown sugar, packed
3 tb Tomato catsup
1 t Coleman's dry mustard
1/2 ts French's yellow mustard
1/2 ts Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ts Tobasco sauce
1/2 ts Freshly ground black pepper
2 tb Bacon fat
Reserved bean liquid

Pour baked beans into colander and drain, reserving liquid. Fry diced
bacon until crisp. Add bacon to beans, reserving fat. Fry diced
onion in bacon fat until transparent but not brown. Add onion and 2
tablespoons of the bacon fat to the beans.

Mix remaining ingredients in small mixing bowl. Add mixture to beans
and combine all ingredients throughly, but gently. Add sufficient
reserved bean liquid to moisten bean mixture. It should not be soupy.

Turn bean mixture into 2-quart casserole. Beans may be refrigerated
and held one or two days until baking.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Bake beans uncovered for 30-45 minutes
until a crust forms on top. Serves six.

Robb Dabbs
May 11, 1985

Charles Gifford

"Tracey" > wrote in message
om...

> "Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
> . I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
> > sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute

> > the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
> > produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen

the
> > juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses?

> Cook them in a casserole dish in the oven for a LONG time on a low
> temperature.

I agree. That is the best way. Otherwise do it Sheldon's way. Do not drain
them!

Charlie

Bunny McElwee > wrote:
> I am in charge of bringing baked beans to a gathering this weekend. its
> for a Car Club. The club purchased a large can of beans (117 oz. Original
> Bush's Baked Beans) for me to prepare. I've made baked beans in the past a
> few times, and when using canned beans, it always seems as though they turn
> out too soupy. I like to add things like mustard, brown sugar, molasses and
> sometimes I've even added honey. All of these items seem to contribute to
> the soupiness of the beans. What is the best way to thicken the "gravy"
> produced when using canned beans and adding agents that seem to loosen the
> juice even further, such as sugar and honey/molasses? Flour? Cornstarch?
> Whats the best method for introducing the thickening agent into the beans
> and when? Thanks for any and all help!

Bush's baked beans are an exception for canned baked beans as they are
pretty thick right out of the can. To add to the thickening effect, simply
cook the baked beans slowly for at least an hour in a crockpot or bake
them in the oven at low temp (around 200) for an hour or two until they
get thick enough for you. That's all there is to it.

Lynn Gifford

I make baked beans for 20 about three times a month.
I favor the long slow oven method for thickening.
In addition to the molasses/mustard/Tabasco/onion/bacon stuff,
I add a can (or 2) of pineapple tidbits (chunks are too big).
Lynn from Fargo
jmameigh msnglestl

This is the best reply I have read yet !!!!! Good job ! Similar to my
Mom's baked bean recipe using Grandma Brown's baked beans and I have
continued to make them this way also. This site is very entertaining, if
I must say so, even tho there are very few actual recipes on it. (smile)
Hope it continues. Judy

PENMART01

>after draining some of the liquid off, I would at least add some bbq
>sauce..maybe some bacon (cooked) skis the limit on what else u could add..
>gr pepper, onion come to mind..I would sauté them first..soften them up..
>
>Laura

All that precipitated due to watery canned beans... why not simply cook up a
big ol batch from scratch... and it's *sky's*, not "skis"... or are you talking
Polacks with limits.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon

Thank you (was Baked Beans) Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 0 29-04-2011 09:20 PM
Baked beans GregS[_3_] Barbecue 0 11-10-2010 02:32 PM
Baked beans Zinc Potterman Vegetarian cooking 1 26-09-2005 03:25 PM
Recipe for baked beans made with Bushes canned beans Evelyn Erickson General Cooking 0 22-12-2004 11:00 PM
Soupy Baked Beans - Best way to thicken?? Bunny McElwee General Cooking 8 15-03-2004 03:22 PM