elaine

Default Can I freeze cheese?

I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that after 3
days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left. Spiced
havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of but is
very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was right
and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often. Any
advice?

Elaine

MOM PEAGRAM

"elaine" > wrote in message news:404e10da$1_4@aeinews....
> I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that after

3
> days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

Spiced
> havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
> brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of but

is
> very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
> cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was right
> and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often. Any
> advice?
>
> Elaine

Depends on the cheese. Cheddar and that type seem to go crumbly when
frozen, but are fine for cooking.

Ross Reid

"MOM PEAGRAM" > wrote:

>"elaine" > wrote in message news:404e10da$1_4@aeinews....
>> I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that after

>3
>> days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

>Spiced
>> havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
>> brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of but

>is
>> very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
>> cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was right
>> and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often. Any
>> advice?
>>
>> Elaine
>>

>Depends on the cheese. Cheddar and that type seem to go crumbly when
>frozen, but are fine for cooking.

I have absolutely no problem eating out of hand thawed, previously
frozen cheddar, or most other cheeses for that matter. Frozen, then
thawed cheese is way better than no cheese.

Ross.
Saerah

m>...

>>> I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that

after
>>3
>>> days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

>>Spiced
>>> havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency

of
>>> brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of

but
>>is
>>> very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
>>> cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was

right
>>> and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often.

Any
>>> advice?
>>>
>>> Elaine
>>>

>>Depends on the cheese. Cheddar and that type seem to go crumbly when
>>frozen, but are fine for cooking.

>I have absolutely no problem eating out of hand thawed, previously
>frozen cheddar, or most other cheeses for that matter. Frozen, then
>thawed cheese is way better than no cheese.

if it were me, i wouldnt freeze the brie. relatively firm cheeses should
hold up ok, though. (just thawed out some queso blanco i got cheap last
month and froze. texture is just fine.)

--
Saerah

TANSTAAFL

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing
swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive
power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some
farcical aquatic ceremony."

Vox Humana

"elaine" > wrote in message news:404e10da$1_4@aeinews....
> I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that after

3
> days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

Spiced
> havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
> brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of but

is
> very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
> cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was right
> and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often. Any
> advice?

Prooperly wrapped cheese should keep for weeks and weeks. Unless you bought
a year's supply, I wouldn't bother.

Tigger News

Depending on the cheese (as this does not incuded processed with other
adatives) but cheese keeps fairly well for a fair while. Keep it in paper in
the fridge or coolish area outside the fridge

"elaine" > wrote in message news:404e10da$1_4@aeinews....
> I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that after

3
> days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

Spiced
> havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
> brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of but

is
> very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
> cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was right
> and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often. Any
> advice?
>
> Elaine

elaine

So I shouldn't be using saran wrap??
Elaine

> > I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that

after
> 3
> > days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

> Spiced
> > havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the

consistency of
> > brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of

but
> is
> > very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using

for
> > cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was

right
> > and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often.

Any
> > advice?
> >
> > Elaine

MOM PEAGRAM

There are pros and cons. Your cheese will still sweat in plastic film and
will mould. In parchment or wax paper it will get hard. The best solution
is to vacuum seal it. Keeps a long time that way.

"elaine" > wrote in message news:404e7f81$1_1@aeinews....
> So I shouldn't be using saran wrap??
> Elaine
>
> > Depending on the cheese (as this does not incuded processed with other
> > adatives) but cheese keeps fairly well for a fair while. Keep it in

> paper in
> > the fridge or coolish area outside the fridge
> >
> > "elaine" > wrote in message

> > > I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that

> after
> > 3
> > > days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left.

> > Spiced
> > > havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the

> consistency of
> > > brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name

of
> but
> > is
> > > very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using

> for
> > > cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was

> right
> > > and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very

often.
> Any
> > > advice?
> > >
> > > Elaine

Sandy n ne

I've been told if you freeze cheese you just need to thaw in the refrigerator
instead of on the counter. Too drastic a temperature change will make it mealy.

Sandra
sf

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:42:58 -0500, "elaine"
> wrote:

> I got way too much on a weekend trip to the market. Now find that after 3
> days of eating cheese and giving some away, I still have lots left. Spiced
> havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
> brie but stronger, and a block of something I don't know the name of but is
> very good - sort of fruity. Anyway, I'm thinking if I plan on using for
> cooking that it would be ok to freeze. Silly me, but the price was right
> and I don't have the opportunity to shop at cheese stores very often. Any
> advice?

How long do you plan to be gone? Cheese isn't something you
need to eat in a day or even a week.

You'll have to take your chances with freezing cheeses.
Most of the cheeses I freeze come out fine... others are
very grainy. Cream cheese is very grainy after it's frozen.
However, it's usually okay after you stir it up <that tast
is the same even if the texture isn't>.

Frogleg

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 13:42:58 -0500, "elaine" > wrote:

>Spiced
>havarati, smoked/spiced goudas, brie and also something the consistency of
>brie but stronger

At the risk of seeming unfeeling, did you try searching on "freezing
cheese"? Yes, you can freeze cheese, but the texture will change. Hard
cheeses freeze most successfully. Grated cheese freezes quite well.
Advice from a number of sites says to tightly double-wrap, freeze in
1lb blocks or smaller, and thaw in the 'fridge. What the hell -- if
the choice is freeze or discard, you might just as well freeze and
report your findings. Food-saver packaged and left in the 'fridge
would be a lot better.
John D. Misrahi

I froze some bags of mozarella and cheddar (pre grated) that were on sale
once...Afterwards the cheese was great for melting on pizzas , in casseroles
etc.

john

>I have absolutely no problem eating out of hand thawed, previously
>frozen cheddar, or most other cheeses for that matter. Frozen, then
>thawed cheese is way better than no cheese.
>
>Ross.

Andy

yes.
http://www.pbase.com/andrcom
sf

On 11 Mar 2004 01:41:18 GMT, pamenot (Andy)
wrote:

> yes.

http://www.pbase.com/andrcom

What?

DRB

http://www.pbase.com/andrcom

> What?

You can freeze cheese depending on what you want to do with it afterwards.
It will not be same after it comes out of the freezer, but the frozen cheese
still works fine for some things. My main freezing of cheese involves
freezing shredded cheddar for use in dishes that are to be cooked. I also
keep shredded mozzarella frozen. If I'm going to use cream cheese in
something where I need to melt it, I've found that it melts better if
previously frozen.

sf

My comment was about what the url is, not freezing cheese.

:-\

Mabye I should have spelled it out: Why post a url that
doesn't address the subject?

```````````

http://www.pbase.com/andrcom

> > What?
> >

> You can freeze cheese depending on what you want to do with it afterwards.
> It will not be same after it comes out of the freezer, but the frozen cheese
> still works fine for some things. My main freezing of cheese involves
> freezing shredded cheddar for use in dishes that are to be cooked. I also
> keep shredded mozzarella frozen. If I'm going to use cream cheese in
> something where I need to melt it, I've found that it melts better if
> previously frozen.

DRB

"sf" > wrote in message
news

> My comment was about what the url is, not freezing cheese.
>
> :-\
>
> Mabye I should have spelled it out: Why post a url that
> doesn't address the subject?

Oops... I'm didn't follow the url.... sorry about that.

sf

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:11:26 GMT, Donna Rose
> wrote:

> Donna
> A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

<singing> Ohhh, Doooonnna...

sf

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:11:26 GMT, Donna Rose
> wrote:

> Donna
> A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

<singing> Ohhh, Doooonnna...

Can you freeze cheese? Dirty Harry General Cooking 10 18-12-2007 08:16 PM
Can you freeze scallions & cheese? Robin[_2_] General Cooking 4 04-11-2007 01:25 PM
Cheese Freeze Tim Recipes 0 28-07-2005 09:56 PM
Freeze cottage cheese? Ken Knecht General Cooking 2 06-08-2004 11:25 PM
Can you freeze cheese? Gary General Cooking 14 30-07-2004 03:36 AM