Michael Horowitz

Default Using my "corn pone" cast iron mold?

I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
work.

Pancake batter for example.

Other suggestions? - Mike
Bob

Mike wrote:

> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

How about CORNED beef hash? Pack it in tightly, cook until it gets
crispy...seems like it ought to work.

Bob

Bob

Mike wrote:

> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

How about CORNED beef hash? Pack it in tightly, cook until it gets
crispy...seems like it ought to work.

Bob

jmcquown

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Crab or salmon cakes shaped like corn

Jill

jmcquown

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Crab or salmon cakes shaped like corn

Jill

Pete Romfh

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread
> batter would work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Pancakes might be a bit tender. The slightest bit of sticking and it
wouldn't hold shape.
Some of the harder quickbreads i.e. date-nut might work better. Or that dark
brown sweet bread they serve with beans.

Try making some potato batter (like for potato pancakes) but keeping the
grated potato quite small. If you put some bacon fat in each well and have
the pan hot when you put the batter in you should wind up with nice crispy
potato sticks. I haven't tried it but it just got added to my list of things
to experiment with.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Pete Romfh

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread
> batter would work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Pancakes might be a bit tender. The slightest bit of sticking and it
wouldn't hold shape.
Some of the harder quickbreads i.e. date-nut might work better. Or that dark
brown sweet bread they serve with beans.

Try making some potato batter (like for potato pancakes) but keeping the
grated potato quite small. If you put some bacon fat in each well and have
the pan hot when you put the batter in you should wind up with nice crispy
potato sticks. I haven't tried it but it just got added to my list of things
to experiment with.

--
Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
promfh at hal dash pc dot org

Arri London

Michael Horowitz wrote:

> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Waffle batter will work and yield something akin to Dutch poffertjes.
One year I made penuche and pressed that into our corn stick mould.
Wrapped them in corn husks and gave them as Christmas treats.
Probably any cake batter would work as well; just don't overfill the
cavities.
Could probably also make little meat loaves in that mould.
Arri London

Michael Horowitz wrote:

> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Waffle batter will work and yield something akin to Dutch poffertjes.
One year I made penuche and pressed that into our corn stick mould.
Wrapped them in corn husks and gave them as Christmas treats.
Probably any cake batter would work as well; just don't overfill the
cavities.
Could probably also make little meat loaves in that mould.
Dwayne

My wife uses the same technique to make biscuits. Might be too big, depends
upon your mold.

Dwayne

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>>
>> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
>> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
>> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
>> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
>> work.
>>
>> Pancake batter for example.
>>
>> Other suggestions? - Mike

> Waffle batter will work and yield something akin to Dutch poffertjes.
> One year I made penuche and pressed that into our corn stick mould.
> Wrapped them in corn husks and gave them as Christmas treats.
> Probably any cake batter would work as well; just don't overfill the
> cavities.
> Could probably also make little meat loaves in that mould.

Dwayne

My wife uses the same technique to make biscuits. Might be too big, depends
upon your mold.

Dwayne

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Michael Horowitz wrote:
>>
>> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
>> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
>> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
>> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
>> work.
>>
>> Pancake batter for example.
>>
>> Other suggestions? - Mike

> Waffle batter will work and yield something akin to Dutch poffertjes.
> One year I made penuche and pressed that into our corn stick mould.
> Wrapped them in corn husks and gave them as Christmas treats.
> Probably any cake batter would work as well; just don't overfill the
> cavities.
> Could probably also make little meat loaves in that mould.

Stark

In article >, Michael
Horowitz > wrote:

> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Hmmmmmm. IMHO you've got a one-thang-only pan. The shape is sort of
dangerous. It might do a scone. But you probably ought to stick to
various styles of cornbread--with jalapenos, with fresh corn, etc.
Stark

In article >, Michael
Horowitz > wrote:

> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Hmmmmmm. IMHO you've got a one-thang-only pan. The shape is sort of
dangerous. It might do a scone. But you probably ought to stick to
various styles of cornbread--with jalapenos, with fresh corn, etc.
Steve B.

Lots of variations on the corn pone to try. Add cheese, chili peppers, etc.

Steve
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Steve B.

Michael Horowitz wrote:
> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
> work.
>
> Pancake batter for example.
>
> Other suggestions? - Mike

Donna

My cast-iron mold for corn-shaped small cornbreads drives me crazy because
it is so hard to clean. When I put the cornbread batter in each little
pocket I dribble a bit and that sticks during cooking. I finally gave up
using it.

Donna

"Stark" > wrote in message
> In article >, Michael
> Horowitz > wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
>> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
>> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
>> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
>> work.
>>
>> Pancake batter for example.
>>
>> Other suggestions? - Mike

> Hmmmmmm. IMHO you've got a one-thang-only pan. The shape is sort of
> dangerous. It might do a scone. But you probably ought to stick to
> various styles of cornbread--with jalapenos, with fresh corn, etc.

Donna

"Stark" > wrote in message
> In article >, Michael
> Horowitz > wrote:
>
>> I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
>> Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
>> I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
>> I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
>> work.
>>
>> Pancake batter for example.
>>
>> Other suggestions? - Mike

> Hmmmmmm. IMHO you've got a one-thang-only pan. The shape is sort of
> dangerous. It might do a scone. But you probably ought to stick to
> various styles of cornbread--with jalapenos, with fresh corn, etc.

Bob (this one)

Donna wrote:

> My cast-iron mold for corn-shaped small cornbreads drives me crazy beca=

use=20
> it is so hard to clean. When I put the cornbread batter in each little=

=20
> pocket I dribble a bit and that sticks during cooking. I finally gave =

up=20
> using it.

You need to season it *all over* and it won't stick. This is one of=20
those "No two people do it alike" things. Here's how I do it, I'm sure=20
it's totally wrong, stupid and the work of the devil, but it works in=20
my house.

I scour new or unseasoned cast iron, wash in hot soapy water, rinse=20
quickly and hand-dry. While it's still warm from the washing, I coat=20
it on all sides - edges, margins, rims, cooking surfaces - everywhere,=20
in oil, and I use any household oil that isn't strongly flavored -=20
usually canola or soybean. I used to use lard, but I don't keep it in=20
the house routinely nowadays. Set the oven to 350=B0, put it on a rack=20
face down with a cookie sheet under it to catch any drips, and leave=20
it in there overnight. Next morning take it out and let it cool.=20
Re-oil and leave it in all day. Done.

You'll have a shiny, non-stick pan. I usually do a very light oil=20
spray before pouring in the batter when I'm baking in cast iron. Wipe=20
with a dampened paper towel after use. Store it hanging in the kitchen.

Pastorio

>=20
> Donna
>=20
>=20
> "Stark" > wrote in message=20
>=20
>>In article >, Michael
>>Horowitz > wrote:
>>

>>>I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
>>>Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
>>>I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
>>>I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
>>>work.
>>>
>>>Pancake batter for example.
>>>
>>>Other suggestions? - Mike

>>Hmmmmmm. IMHO you've got a one-thang-only pan. The shape is sort of
>>dangerous. It might do a scone. But you probably ought to stick to
>>various styles of cornbread--with jalapenos, with fresh corn, etc.=20

Bob (this one)

Donna wrote:

> My cast-iron mold for corn-shaped small cornbreads drives me crazy beca=

use=20
> it is so hard to clean. When I put the cornbread batter in each little=

=20
> pocket I dribble a bit and that sticks during cooking. I finally gave =

up=20
> using it.

You need to season it *all over* and it won't stick. This is one of=20
those "No two people do it alike" things. Here's how I do it, I'm sure=20
it's totally wrong, stupid and the work of the devil, but it works in=20
my house.

I scour new or unseasoned cast iron, wash in hot soapy water, rinse=20
quickly and hand-dry. While it's still warm from the washing, I coat=20
it on all sides - edges, margins, rims, cooking surfaces - everywhere,=20
in oil, and I use any household oil that isn't strongly flavored -=20
usually canola or soybean. I used to use lard, but I don't keep it in=20
the house routinely nowadays. Set the oven to 350=B0, put it on a rack=20
face down with a cookie sheet under it to catch any drips, and leave=20
it in there overnight. Next morning take it out and let it cool.=20
Re-oil and leave it in all day. Done.

You'll have a shiny, non-stick pan. I usually do a very light oil=20
spray before pouring in the batter when I'm baking in cast iron. Wipe=20
with a dampened paper towel after use. Store it hanging in the kitchen.

Pastorio

>=20
> Donna
>=20
>=20
> "Stark" > wrote in message=20
>=20
>>In article >, Michael
>>Horowitz > wrote:
>>

>>>I recently acquired a seasoned cast iron "corn pone" mold.
>>>Made excellent corn-shaped corn bread yesterday.
>>>I'm looking for other things to cook in the mold.
>>>I"m thinking any batter of a consistency of corn bread batter would
>>>work.
>>>
>>>Pancake batter for example.
>>>
>>>Other suggestions? - Mike

>>Hmmmmmm. IMHO you've got a one-thang-only pan. The shape is sort of
>>dangerous. It might do a scone. But you probably ought to stick to
>>various styles of cornbread--with jalapenos, with fresh corn, etc.=20

Donna

Pastorio, thanks for the advice on seasoning, etc. Although I have seasoned
my CI skillets, I have to admit that I never seasoned the corn-stick pan.

It's been so long ago, that I don't remember how I originally seasoned my
skillets, so thanks so much for your seasoning instructions.

I love my CI skillets for making cornbread.

Donna

Stark

In article >, Donna
> wrote:

> Pastorio, thanks for the advice on seasoning, etc. Although I have seasoned
> my CI skillets, I have to admit that I never seasoned the corn-stick pan.
>
> It's been so long ago, that I don't remember how I originally seasoned my
> skillets, so thanks so much for your seasoning instructions.
>
> I love my CI skillets for making cornbread.
>
> Donna

Preheat also works for me with seasoned CI skillets.
Stark

In article >, Donna