sandy

Default Grits!

Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

projectile vomit chick

"sandy" > wrote in message
.. .
> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was

making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Grits is corn, Cream of Wheat is farina. I think...

Levelwave©

sandy wrote:

> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

,,,,,,, ....... ,,,,, ,

~john

--
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized
nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The
prohibition of private firearms is the goal."
-- Janet Reno US Attorney General
Kajikit

sandy saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:21:20 -0500:

>Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
>grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
>it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
>sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

The two times I tasted grits while I was in the US they looked EXACTLY
like cream of wheat... and they didn't taste any better. It's not
exactly gourmet food. I thought they'd taste like sweetcorn, but it
was just sort of tasteless mush.
~Karen AKA Kajikit
Lover of shiny things...

Made as of 5 March 2004 - 36 cards, 22 SB pages (plus 2 small giftbooks), 35 decos

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
jmcquown

Dog3 wrote:
> "sandy" > deliciously posted in
> :
>
>> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was
>> making grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served
>> shrimp over it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never
>> saw grits, but it sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help
>> me...thank you!

> Grits can be real creamy or rather coarse. Depends on how you cook
> them. I like mine real simple. Cooked with a ton of butter, S&P.
> Screw the shrimp. Better yet, screw Tyler <big evil grin>
>
> Michael <- really likes Tyler

But Michael, you must admit, grated cheese is a very nice addition to grits
and makes a world of difference!

Jill

Scott

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> The two times I tasted grits while I was in the US they looked EXACTLY
> like cream of wheat... and they didn't taste any better. It's not
> exactly gourmet food. I thought they'd taste like sweetcorn, but it
> was just sort of tasteless mush.

I like grits with some Tabasco sauce mixed in.

please mail OT responses only
Yeff

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 14:41:14 GMT, Scott wrote:

> I like grits with some Tabasco sauce mixed in.

No, no, no! You put the Tabasco on your omelet. You put the grits over
top of the omelet with a little butter and sugar.

-Jeff B. (breakfast of the Gods)
yeff at erols dot com
The Ranger

sandy > asked in message
.. .
> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and
> he was making grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he
> served shrimp over it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,
> never saw grits, but it sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help
> me...thank you!

Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand. Grits are a
travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the North in our
never-ending War Between the States. If you were served this dish as a
child, you would have been psychologically traumatized. They are the most
foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by one group and foisted on
another group of humans. This "dish" is used as a way of showing that the
day can't get any worse. Look at how, as if further proof is needed, many
people prefer to eat them; heavily salted and floating in a tub of butter,
covered in gravy, cheese, or other substances -- all in a vain effort to
fool the tortured soul eating them into thinking the taste and texture might
possibly be edible!

The Ranger
--
We're decaf drinkers, and most restaurant decaf is like hot water with a
brown crayon dipped in it. This coffee was no different.

Tara

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:21:20 -0500, "sandy"
> wrote:

>Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
>grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
>it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
>sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Shrimp and grits is a common lowcountry breakfast dish. You would
find it in a Savannah or Charleston restaurant. Grits might look like
Cream of Wheat on television, but in person they don't look quite so
creamy. I love grits! It's a bit chilly this morning and some hot
grits would be just the thing.

Tara
Dave Smith

sandy wrote:

> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Yep. It tastes a lot like Cream of Wheat. That's a good thing for people like
me who like Cream of Wheat, but so good for its detractors.

Louis Cohen

From Epicurious.com:

hominy is dried white or yellow corn kernels from which the hull and germ
have been removed. This process is done either mechanically or chemically by
soaking the corn in slaked lime or lye. ... When ground, it's called hominy
grits - or simply grits - and usually comes in three grinds - fine, medium
and coarse. Hominy grits are generally simmered with water or milk until
very thick. The mixture can be served in this mushlike form or chilled, cut
into squares and fried. In the South, grits are served as a side dish for
breakfast or dinner.

The ones you saw that looked like cream of wheat must have been made from
white corn; I think yellow corn grits are more common in some places, which
is why some people have no idea what you're talking about. Grits are rather
bland but are a nice base for hot sauce.

Hominy not ground up, that is, left as whole kernels, is used in pozole, a
Mexican soup with a pork base.

Polenta is cornmeal, pretty similar to grits but I don't know if the hull
has been removed or not.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"sandy" > wrote in message
.. .
> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was

making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Curly Sue

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 01:21:20 -0500, "sandy"
> wrote:

>Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
>grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
>it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
>sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

You've got it nailed. Those poor shrimp, giving up their little lives
to such an ignoble end :>

Sue(tm)
Orion

> > Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was
> > making grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served
> > shrimp over it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw
> > grits, but it sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank
> > you!

> Grits can be real creamy or rather coarse. Depends on how you cook them.
> I like mine real simple. Cooked with a ton of butter, S&P. Screw the
> shrimp. Better yet, screw Tyler <big evil grin>
>
> Michael <- really likes Tyler
> --
> Deathbed statement...
>
> "Codeine . . . bourbon."
> ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d. December 12, 1968

I'm with you on both items. Grits 'n shrimp? Don't think so. Grits 'n
Tyler...... yup, yup, yup.

Suzan

Goomba38

Steve Wertz wrote:

> >They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by
> >one group and foisted on another group of humans.

> Grits are virtually tasteless. I'd rather have grits than oatmeal
> anyday.
>
> -sw

Why would you bother to eat something "virtually tasteless"?? I find
they have a mild corn taste.
Goomba

The Ranger

wrote:
> > Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand.
> >

> Yeah, yeah, yeah. Keep hearing this, but grits are not sandy
> at all (assuming you cooked them).

Uh-huh. You already know that I consider your tastes suspect. <G>

> > They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever been
> > invented by one group and foisted on another group of
> > humans.
> >

> Grits are virtually tasteless.

That's why those that profess to love the taste slather the glop in butter,
salt, pepper, bacon fat, syrup, sugar, bacon, gravy, eggs, etc. etc. etc.
Yep; virtually tasteless.

> I'd rather have grits than oatmeal anyday.

Y'all never had GOOD oatmeal then... (See? That argument doesn't wash any
better with you!)

The "Grits-Free Yankee" Ranger

sandy

Thanks to all for your replies.....been hearing so much about grits,,,,,I'm
glad to hear I haven't been missing anything great....
"sandy" > wrote in message
.. .
> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was

making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Katra

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Frogleg > wrote:

> > > Have you any objection if it's called polenta?

> > Just out of curiosity, I wonder if grits could be substituted for
> > cornmeal for a different taste when breading? Not that I'd do it, (I'm
> > allergic to wheat).
> >
> > We've been buying BLUE corn meal for doing fried fish lately!
> > That stuff is good! It has a slightly sweeter flavor than the white
> > cornmeal I used to use.

> I have used regular corn meal for fried trout. I also deep fry calamari after
> dredging
> them in a mixture of flour and corn meal.

Do you spice it?
I've liked it a lot more since I started doing that. :-)

To the blue cornmeal, I add salt free lemon pepper, garlic powder and
onion powder and for fish, dried dillweed....

Tarragon, basil and rosemary for poultry and sage when I'm in the mood.

Do try some blue cornmeal if you can find it!

I find unspiced breadings to be terribly bland now.

Calimari is the gods. :-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

sd

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> They are the most
> foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by one group and foisted on
> another group of humans. This "dish" is used as a way of showing that the
> day can't get any worse. Look at how, as if further proof is needed, many
> people prefer to eat them; heavily salted and floating in a tub of butter,
> covered in gravy, cheese, or other substances -- all in a vain effort to
> fool the tortured soul eating them into thinking the taste and texture might
> possibly be edible!

For a second, I thought he was talking about lutefisk ...

sd
Scott

In article >,
"The Ranger" > wrote:

> Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand. Grits are a
> travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the North in our
> never-ending War Between the States. If you were served this dish as a
> child, you would have been psychologically traumatized. They are the most
> foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by one group and foisted on
> another group of humans. This "dish" is used as a way of showing that the
> day can't get any worse. Look at how, as if further proof is needed, many
> people prefer to eat them; heavily salted and floating in a tub of butter,
> covered in gravy, cheese, or other substances -- all in a vain effort to
> fool the tortured soul eating them into thinking the taste and texture might
> possibly be edible!

I don't know what you've been eating, but even instant grits aren't that
bad. I rather enjoy real grits.

please mail OT responses only
Rick & Cyndi

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
: "jmcquown" > deliciously posted in
: :
:
: > Dog3 wrote:
: >> "sandy" > deliciously posted in
: >> :
: >>
: >>> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with
Tyler,,,and he was
: >>> making grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he
served
: >>> shrimp over it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in
Canada,,,,never
: >>> saw grits, but it sure does look like Cream of
Wheat......Help
: >>> me...thank you!
: >>
: >> Grits can be real creamy or rather coarse. Depends on how
you cook
: >> them. I like mine real simple. Cooked with a ton of butter,
S&P.
: >> Screw the shrimp. Better yet, screw Tyler <big evil grin>
: >>
: >> Michael <- really likes Tyler
: >
: > But Michael, you must admit, grated cheese is a very nice
addition to
: > grits and makes a world of difference!
: >
: > Jill
:
: Absolutely Jill. Cheese and grits were meant for each other.
:
: Michael
: =========

Or... skip the cheese and crumble bacon. Yeah, that's the
ticket.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Frogleg

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:45:10 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote

>> Have you any objection if it's called polenta?

>Grits are nothing like polenta. Grits are made from hominy. Well made grits
>have a flavor resembling fresh corn tortillas.

From the Quaker web site:

"1) What are grits?
Grits are made from the milling of corn kernels. The first step in the
process is to clean the kernels; then, the grains are steamed for a
short time to loosen the tough outer hull. The grain kernel is split,
which removes the hull and germ, leaving the broken endosperm. Heavy
steel rollers break up the endosperm into granules, which are
separated by a screening process. The large-size granules are the
grits; the smaller ones become cornmeal and corn flour."
modom

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:45:10 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> wrote:

>Grits are nothing like polenta. Grits are made from hominy. Well made grits
>have a flavor resembling fresh corn tortillas.
>
>Charlie, who prefers his grits with just butter

There's a bit in the rfc FAQ about grits and polenta.

Butter is nice, but jalapeno cheese grits are better.

modom
Kate Connally

sandy wrote:

> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Yes, grits look very much like cream of wheat. But the
taste is different and traditionally they are savory, not
sweet. That is, southerners have a caniption fit if you
eat them like hot cereal with sugar or syrup on them. But
you can do it and probably get away with it if you're in
Canada. Anyway, I like cheese grits which I then douse
with a little Frank's Hot Sauce. This is the way I eat them
when I have a "southern" or "soul food" breakfast. I've
also had them with Virginia ham and redeye gravy, and in a
casserole with shrimp. Yum. I also make a grits casserole
with sausage, diced green chiles, cheddar cheese, etc.

One of these days I'm going to have them with butter and
maple syrup just to rile up them southerners! (P. S. It's
okay because I'm half southern on my daddy's side.)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

Goomba38 wrote:

> Steve Wertz wrote:
>
> > >They are the most foul-tasting gruel that has ever been invented by
> > >one group and foisted on another group of humans.

> > Grits are virtually tasteless. I'd rather have grits than oatmeal
> > anyday.
> >
> > -sw

> Why would you bother to eat something "virtually tasteless"?? I find
> they have a mild corn taste.
> Goomba

Well, for the nutrition. Now I don't agree that they
are virtually tasteless but they don't have a strong
flavor. Anyway, you doctor it up with stuff that gives
it taste. Grits are like a blank canvas on which to
paint with cheese, etc.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

LAllin

On 8-Mar-2004, Kate Connally > wrote:

> Yes, grits look very much like cream of wheat. But the
> taste is different and traditionally they are savory, not
> sweet. That is, southerners have a caniption fit if you
> eat them like hot cereal with sugar or syrup on them. But
> you can do it and probably get away with it if you're in
> Canada.

However, a traditional southern "sweet" dish is made from left over grits;
mush. Take the left over plain grits (or make them specifically to turn
into mush), put in a loaf pan until solidified. Remove from pan, slice like
you would a meat loaf, and pan fry in butter. Serve topped with butter and
syrup or molasses (I prefer sorghum molasses).
Robin Cowdrey

Gruel!! Worse than porridge! Not worthy of touching the taste buds of
anyone that cares about food!
"Today I was watch a show on Food network!!!" Grief! What's happening to
the written word?

Robin

"sandy" > wrote in message
.. .
> Today I was watch a show on Food network.....with Tyler,,,and he was

making
> grits,,,,,,,to me it looked like Cream of Wheat, he served shrimp over
> it,,,,,,am I wrong here??,,,,,,,I'm in Canada,,,,never saw grits, but it
> sure does look like Cream of Wheat......Help me...thank you!

Katra

In article >,
Kate Connally > wrote:

> Goomba38 wrote:

> > > Grits are virtually tasteless. I'd rather have grits than oatmeal
> > > anyday.
> > >
> > > -sw

> > Why would you bother to eat something "virtually tasteless"?? I find
> > they have a mild corn taste.
> > Goomba

> Well, for the nutrition. Now I don't agree that they
> are virtually tasteless but they don't have a strong
> flavor. Anyway, you doctor it up with stuff that gives
> it taste. Grits are like a blank canvas on which to
> paint with cheese, etc.
>
> Kate

Kinda like Tofu... ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article > ,
Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Katra > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > In article >,
> > Kate Connally > wrote:

> >> Well, for the nutrition. Now I don't agree that they
> >> are virtually tasteless but they don't have a strong
> >> flavor. Anyway, you doctor it up with stuff that gives
> >> it taste. Grits are like a blank canvas on which to
> >> paint with cheese, etc.
> >>
> >> Kate

> > Kinda like Tofu... ;-)
> >
> > K.
> >

> Tofu with roasted garlic is a yummy cracker spread.
>
> Michael

I've used tofu for a lot of things...

In egg dishes, soups, spreads, even fried.
It's pretty versatile.

K. (who rilly needs to get some sleep!)

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Charles Gifford

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:45:10 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Frogleg" > wrote

> >> Have you any objection if it's called polenta?

> >Grits are nothing like polenta. Grits are made from hominy. Well made

grits
> >have a flavor resembling fresh corn tortillas.

> From the Quaker web site:
>
> "1) What are grits?
> Grits are made from the milling of corn kernels. The first step in the
> process is to clean the kernels; then, the grains are steamed for a
> short time to loosen the tough outer hull. The grain kernel is split,
> which removes the hull and germ, leaving the broken endosperm. Heavy
> steel rollers break up the endosperm into granules, which are
> separated by a screening process. The large-size granules are the
> grits; the smaller ones become cornmeal and corn flour."

My dear frogleg, the Quaker site is slightly misleading. It is not wrong,
just incomplete. For some the term grits can refer to any ground grain,
especially corn. For normal people, it means hominy grits which are more
commonly called just grits. When grits lovers eat grits, they're eating
hominy grits - not corn meal. Hominy ground large is samp. Hominy ground
smaller is grits.

Charlie

Charles Gifford

"modom" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 08:45:10 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
> > wrote:
>
> >Grits are nothing like polenta. Grits are made from hominy. Well made

grits
> >have a flavor resembling fresh corn tortillas.
> >
> >Charlie, who prefers his grits with just butter
> >

> There's a bit in the rfc FAQ about grits and polenta.
>
> Butter is nice, but jalapeno cheese grits are better.
>

> modom

Overkill Michael. Ruins the delicate flavor of the grits. IMHO, of course.

Charlie, not a big chile eater

Shirley Thebaglady

You can buy it in instant packages made by Quaker Oats. Or the regular
Grits.

People in the South eat lots of Grits, cereal, or gravys over it.

My Hubby is from the South and we have Grits in place of a potato or
rice with our main meal. He likes butter or marjorine on his. It is a
low-sodium food made from corn.
shirley

Mike Beede

In article >, The Ranger > wrote:

> Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand. Grits are a
> travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the North in our
> never-ending War Between the States.

Grits are fine. I'm from the North and they're no worse than lutefisk. In
fact I'd vote for them being somewhat better.

Mike Beede
Bob Dietz

"Mike Beede" > wrote in message
> In article >, The Ranger

> wrote:
>
> > Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand. Grits are

> > travesty, an evil, perpetrated by the South against the North in our
> > never-ending War Between the States.

> Grits are fine. I'm from the North and they're no worse than lutefisk.

In
> fact I'd vote for them being somewhat better.
>
> Mike Beede

That's damned with faint praise, if I ever heard it.

Bob Dietz

Grits Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 142 23-10-2014 10:23 PM
grits Tony O General Cooking 11 27-01-2013 12:52 AM
GRITS !! No Name General Cooking 29 31-03-2010 02:58 PM
GRITS ? datakoll General Cooking 18 27-02-2010 05:57 PM
Grits Chris Marksberry[_2_] General Cooking 128 09-09-2008 05:25 AM