Can leftover turkey be frozen?

Old 29-12-2004, 03:28 PM
TOM KAN PA
Usenet poster

Default Can leftover turkey be frozen?

Due to a stomach virus, we had a lot of no shows for Xmas dinner. I have sliced
all the turkey down and vacuumed sealed it. Can these packs be frozen and if so
for how long.
Yeah, I know that they can be frozen forever. The question is frozen, thawed
and served later as a decent meal.

Old 29-12-2004, 03:44 PM
Dimitri
Usenet poster

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Due to a stomach virus, we had a lot of no shows for Xmas dinner. I have
sliced
all the turkey down and vacuumed sealed it. Can these packs be frozen and
if so
for how long.

Yes - generally 6 months

Yeah, I know that they can be frozen forever. The question is frozen,
thawed
and served later as a decent meal.

Decent meal depends upon several factors:

1. How well the food is wrapped (air tight)
2. If the freezer is frost free or not. The air circulation of the frost
free units tend to increase freezer burn.
3. How slowly the food is defrosted - tempering in the fridge is best.

Dimitri

Old 29-12-2004, 03:55 PM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

TOM KAN PA wrote:
Due to a stomach virus, we had a lot of no shows for Xmas dinner. I
have sliced all the turkey down and vacuumed sealed it. Can these
packs be frozen and if so for how long.
Yeah, I know that they can be frozen forever. The question is frozen,
thawed and served later as a decent meal.

Of course, particularly with the use of the vacuum sealer. I understand the
less air in the package the less chance of freezer burn. I'd say you can
have decent meals with it for 6-8 months.

Jill

Old 29-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Peter Aitken
Usenet poster

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
Due to a stomach virus, we had a lot of no shows for Xmas dinner. I have

sliced
all the turkey down and vacuumed sealed it. Can these packs be frozen and

if so
for how long.
Yeah, I know that they can be frozen forever. The question is frozen,

thawed
and served later as a decent meal.

I've had decent results packing the meat into a container and convering with
turkey stock, then freezing. The quality suffers somewhat but it's fine for
soup, tetrazini, etc.

--
Peter Aitken

Old 29-12-2004, 10:32 PM
Sam D.
Usenet poster

"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...

I've had decent results packing the meat into a container and

convering with
turkey stock, then freezing. The quality suffers somewhat but it's

fine for
soup, tetrazini, etc.

Or submerged in turkey gravy and frozen.

Old 29-12-2004, 10:49 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Sam D. wrote:
"Peter Aitken" wrote in message
om...

I've had decent results packing the meat into a container and

convering with

turkey stock, then freezing. The quality suffers somewhat but it's

fine for

soup, tetrazini, etc.

Or submerged in turkey gravy and frozen.

Or wrap tightly with aluminum foil and squeeze all the air out as you
wrap it.

Bob
Old 30-12-2004, 04:53 PM
[email protected]
Usenet poster

In rec.food.cooking, jmcquown wrote:
Of course, particularly with the use of the vacuum sealer. I understand the
less air in the package the less chance of freezer burn. I'd say you can
have decent meals with it for 6-8 months.

And you can heat it up in boiliing water with no loss of moisture. I
love my Tilia. Later today, I'm going to seal up 3 pork roasts I got as
one big loin at BJ's. I might just cut one of them up into cutlets. And
a bunch of boneless Purdue breasts I got for around $2.50/lb. The
underblade chuck roast is reserved for a nice pot roast sometime in the
next couple of days.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,

Old 27-01-2005, 08:08 AM
rosie
Usenet poster

TOM KAN PA wrote:
Due to a stomach virus, we had a lot of no shows for Xmas dinner. I

have sliced
all the turkey down and vacuumed sealed it. Can these packs be frozen

and if so
for how long.
Yeah, I know that they can be frozen forever. The question is frozen,

thawed
and served later as a decent meal.

there arre many ways u could use your turkey sfter you freeze it i
would only keep in freezer about 2 to 3 mths.could be used in fritters,
quiche. or minced in food processer and mixed with gravy and make a
shepherds pie. hope these few ideas are a help to you for next year. i
have only just joined this site. rosie

Low Fat Shakes & Smoothies (10 ) Collection Lindatn Recipes (moderated) 0 20-06-2004 01:06 AM
Frozen Turkey Bob General Cooking 4 19-04-2004 03:13 PM
Frozen Turkey zxcvbob Recipes (moderated) 0 19-04-2004 03:33 AM
Turkey Ballentine LIMEYNO1 Recipes (moderated) 0 24-12-2003 10:53 PM
Roast Turkey ala Nita [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 10-11-2003 01:42 PM