Scot

Default Charcoal seasoning?

Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major
brands of seasoning that Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its
line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal seasoning." It had an
appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting any
type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many
years. Does anyone know anything about it -- if it's still manufactured,
and where it is?

Scot

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 04:08:10 GMT, "Scot"
> > wrote:
>
> >Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major
> >brands of seasoning that Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its
> >line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal seasoning." It had an
> >appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting

any
> >type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many
> >years. Does anyone know anything about it -- if it's still manufactured,
> >and where it is?

> Is it charcoal-flavored or to be used to season charcoal?
>
> It sure sounds nasty, whatever it is. "Grilled seasoning" sounds
> better.
>
> Smoked salt comes to mind. Was it a smoke flavor, or a grilled
> flavor? There is an commercial product used by food service
> corporations (Tyson, ie), but as far as I know it's not available
> to the public due to trademarks and royalty issues.
>
> -sw

It was a charcoal-smokey-grilled seasoning. HA! I don't know. It gave you
a taste and smell of food that had been grilled over real coals -- a great
smokey flavor. It was a seasoning that you'd rub on meat, or shake into the
cavity of a bird before roasting just as you would with any other seasoning
of choice. Again, it was dry, came in a common-size seasoning bottle, and
it looked very similar to black pepper. I don't recall it being a salt. My
guess is that it definitely was NOT a salt.

Tex Mexican

"Scot" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major
> brands of seasoning that Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its
> line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal seasoning." It had an
> appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting

any
> type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many
> years. Does anyone know anything about it -- if it's still manufactured,
> and where it is?

It was cancelled for health reasons.
It contained smoke solids that were implicated
in increased instances of colon cancer.

Scot

"Tex Mexican" > wrote in message
m...

> "Scot" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major
> > brands of seasoning that Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its
> > line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal seasoning." It had

an
> > appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting

> any
> > type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many
> > years. Does anyone know anything about it -- if it's still

manufactured,
> > and where it is?
> >

> It was cancelled for health reasons.
> It contained smoke solids that were implicated
> in increased instances of colon cancer.

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, do you recall who manufactured it, or
any other details?

The Joneses

Scot wrote:

> Looking for a charcoal seasoning. Several years ago, one of the major
> brands of seasoning that Safeway carries had a charcoal seasoning in its
> line. I believe it was actually labeled "charcoal seasoning." It had an
> appearance similar to black pepper. It was a perfect "rub" for roasting any
> type of poultry, meat or fish. I haven't been able to find it in many
> years. Does anyone know anything about it -- if it's still manufactured,
> and where it is?

I used to use something by McCormick called Hickory Salt. I know you said it
wasn't a salt, but this was pretty nice. I haven't seen it in a few years tho. I
do use Wright's bottled liquid smoke (at my regular grocery), both hickory and
mesquite, which do not contain any carbonaceous dingies that might cause cancer,
according to them. Howsabout sprinkling liquid smoke on meat, sprinkle with a
little chile powder?
Edrena

In rec.food.cooking, The Joneses > wrote:
> Howsabout sprinkling liquid smoke on meat, sprinkle with a
> little chile powder?

Yuck.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who

There is a "bar-b-q" sauce called Woody's Smoke-In sauce. I think
sold at Safeway, but still not hard to find. It has a very smokey
flavor and is quite good. Great for pot-roasts and crockpot meals. I
haven't bought it in the past few years, but keep meaning to huint
some down.

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:52:24 GMT, The Joneses >

In rec.food.cooking, Scot > wrote:

> What is the best seasoning to use to get a smokey flavor indoors?

I use my fireplace flue. After the steaks are done, I arrange a few logs
over the remnants of the charcoal.

--
....I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

- The Who