PENMART01

Default Need Help with Round Roast Recipe

> "kilikini" writes:
>
>Aloha folks,
>
>I've been doing searches on recipes for a small, 1.5 pound eye of round
>roast. Anyone have any good tried and true recipes? We don't have a *real*
>oven, only a toaster oven so our options are limited. Grilling would be
>good, but it's pouring rain and rather windy due to a tropical storm system
>that's been hanging over the islands for the past 4 days or so.
>
>Suggestions anyone?

Kinda difficult to roast this cut without a real oven... and that size is too
small to roast anyway but eye round is a wonderful cut, lends itself to all
sorts of preparations... so, first remove the silver skin... then slice into
3/4' steaks. Place between plastic wrap and pound the friggin crap outta
them... thinner the better. Then dredge lightly in seasoned flour, dip in egg
wash, and coat with bread crumbs. Fry just till golden (pink is good), do not
over cook... eat as is or parmesean em.

Or, crack a boatload of black peppercorns and press lots into each pounded
cutlet (no salt). Fry hot and briefly (no more than 1 min a side). While
still in the pan douche with lotsa fresh squeezed lemon... make a quick sauce
with booze from pan tailings (fond), pour over and dust with minced parsley
(curly works best) and serve immediately... nice with rice, a gorgonzola salad,
and mar2nis or a bit of the bubbly.

Next time you buy eye round get one at least five pounds, then we'll talk real
cooking.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

kilikini

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> > "kilikini" writes:
> >
> >Aloha folks,
> >
> >I've been doing searches on recipes for a small, 1.5 pound eye of round
> >roast. Anyone have any good tried and true recipes? We don't have a

*real*
> >oven, only a toaster oven so our options are limited. Grilling would be
> >good, but it's pouring rain and rather windy due to a tropical storm

system
> >that's been hanging over the islands for the past 4 days or so.
> >
> >Suggestions anyone?

> Kinda difficult to roast this cut without a real oven... and that size is

too
> small to roast anyway but eye round is a wonderful cut, lends itself to

all
> sorts of preparations... so, first remove the silver skin... then slice

into
> 3/4' steaks. Place between plastic wrap and pound the friggin crap outta
> them... thinner the better. Then dredge lightly in seasoned flour, dip in

egg
> wash, and coat with bread crumbs. Fry just till golden (pink is good), do

not
> over cook... eat as is or parmesean em.
>
> Or, crack a boatload of black peppercorns and press lots into each pounded
> cutlet (no salt). Fry hot and briefly (no more than 1 min a side). While
> still in the pan douche with lotsa fresh squeezed lemon... make a quick

sauce
> with booze from pan tailings (fond), pour over and dust with minced

parsley
> (curly works best) and serve immediately... nice with rice, a gorgonzola

salad,
> and mar2nis or a bit of the bubbly.
>
> Next time you buy eye round get one at least five pounds, then we'll talk

real
> cooking.
>

> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> Sheldon
> ````````````
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

I never thought of cutlets, but that's a great idea, Sheldon! Yeah, the
roast is pretty small. My future MIL was *doing us a favor* by buying two
of these small roasts. We just don't have the means to cook it properly.
All we have is a hotplate, a toaster oven and a microwave. Cutlets are a
fine suggestion, thanks!

kilikini

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "PENMART01" > wrote in message
>>> "kilikini" writes:
>>>
>>> Aloha folks,
>>>
>>> I've been doing searches on recipes for a small, 1.5 pound eye of
>>> round roast. Anyone have any good tried and true recipes? We
>>> don't have a *real* oven, only a toaster oven so our options are
>>> limited. Grilling would be good, but it's pouring rain and rather
>>> windy due to a tropical storm system that's been hanging over the
>>> islands for the past 4 days or so.
>>>
>>> Suggestions anyone?

>> Kinda difficult to roast this cut without a real oven... and that
>> size is too small to roast anyway but eye round is a wonderful cut,
>> lends itself to all sorts of preparations... so, first remove the
>> silver skin... then slice into 3/4' steaks. Place between plastic
>> wrap and pound the friggin crap outta them... thinner the better.
>> Then dredge lightly in seasoned flour, dip in egg wash, and coat
>> with bread crumbs. Fry just till golden (pink is good), do not over
>> cook... eat as is or parmesean em.
>>
>> Or, crack a boatload of black peppercorns and press lots into each
>> pounded cutlet (no salt). Fry hot and briefly (no more than 1 min a
>> side). While still in the pan douche with lotsa fresh squeezed
>> lemon... make a quick sauce with booze from pan tailings (fond),
>> pour over and dust with minced parsley (curly works best) and serve
>> immediately... nice with rice, a gorgonzola salad, and mar2nis or a
>> bit of the bubbly.
>>
>> Next time you buy eye round get one at least five pounds, then we'll
>> talk real cooking.
>>

>> ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =---
>> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
>> Sheldon
>> ````````````
>> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
>>

> I never thought of cutlets, but that's a great idea, Sheldon! Yeah,
> the roast is pretty small. My future MIL was *doing us a favor* by
> buying two of these small roasts. We just don't have the means to
> cook it properly. All we have is a hotplate, a toaster oven and a
> microwave. Cutlets are a fine suggestion, thanks!
>
> kilikini

Gotta ask, are you in student housing or perhaps in a quonset hut? I like
Sheldon's suggestions; you might also try brushing the cutlets with Dijon
mustard before coating in crumbs and pan-frying or bake really hot in that
toaster oven.

And here I thought Hawaii was always supposed to be sunny. It's sunny and
close to 75F here in west TN... I'm loving it ;-)

Jill

kilikini

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> kilikini wrote:

(snip)

> Gotta ask, are you in student housing or perhaps in a quonset hut? I like
> Sheldon's suggestions; you might also try brushing the cutlets with Dijon
> mustard before coating in crumbs and pan-frying or bake really hot in that
> toaster oven.
>
> And here I thought Hawaii was always supposed to be sunny. It's sunny and
> close to 75F here in west TN... I'm loving it ;-)
>
> Jill

Nope, no student housing. I live in a house that has been separated out
into 3 apartments. State code prohibits more than one kitchen per house so
we didn't get lucky enough to be in that part of the house. There is such a
severe housing shortage that we had to take what we could. All of this tiny
sh*t-box amounts to $1300 a month. The toilet doesn't even flush down in
one turn!

kilikini

Dawn

kilikini wrote:

> Aloha folks,
>
> I've been doing searches on recipes for a small, 1.5 pound eye of round
> roast. Anyone have any good tried and true recipes? We don't have a *real*
> oven, only a toaster oven so our options are limited. Grilling would be
> good, but it's pouring rain and rather windy due to a tropical storm system
> that's been hanging over the islands for the past 4 days or so.

I grill in the rain and the snow, but then I have a covered deck...

I'm a fan of Alton Brown's pot roast method. Not the same cut of beef, I
think yours is more tender, but it ought to get the job done.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._15691,00.html

Note that he calls for olives and raisins. Some people think this is
weird, but it really does add a lot of body to the 'gravy' you get by
pureeing the pan drippings and cooked vegetables afterward. I also add
chunks of celery and carrot to the pan, and other stuff like turnip,
mushroom and potato to have as a side to the actual roast. And cheap
supermarket balsamic works fine for this recipe.

You'll need to adjust cooking time for your toaster oven. Just start
checking it every hour until it is fork tender.

Dawn

kilikini

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
>
> > Aloha folks,
> >
> > I've been doing searches on recipes for a small, 1.5 pound eye of round
> > roast. Anyone have any good tried and true recipes? We don't have a

*real*
> > oven, only a toaster oven so our options are limited. Grilling would be
> > good, but it's pouring rain and rather windy due to a tropical storm

system
> > that's been hanging over the islands for the past 4 days or so.

> I grill in the rain and the snow, but then I have a covered deck...
>
> I'm a fan of Alton Brown's pot roast method. Not the same cut of beef, I
> think yours is more tender, but it ought to get the job done.
>
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._15691,00.html
>
> Note that he calls for olives and raisins. Some people think this is
> weird, but it really does add a lot of body to the 'gravy' you get by
> pureeing the pan drippings and cooked vegetables afterward. I also add
> chunks of celery and carrot to the pan, and other stuff like turnip,
> mushroom and potato to have as a side to the actual roast. And cheap
> supermarket balsamic works fine for this recipe.
>
> You'll need to adjust cooking time for your toaster oven. Just start
> checking it every hour until it is fork tender.
>

> Dawn

Dawn, I'm going to file that one away for the other roast we have (we got
two). I may just go with the cutlet idea for tonight. Thanks!
kilikini

jmcquown

kilikini wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> kilikini wrote:

> (snip)
>> Gotta ask, are you in student housing or perhaps in a quonset hut?
>> Jill
>>

> Nope, no student housing. I live in a house that has been separated
> out into 3 apartments. State code prohibits more than one kitchen
> per house
> kilikini

Well that certainly sucks... glad I don't live on the islands! IIRC when I
lived in Midtown Memphis and friends across the street rented an old house
divided into apartments, the kitchen was 'communal'. Too bad that isn't the
case at your place. Of course, there were plenty of arguments going on
about who didn't clean up what when.

Enjoy the beef cutlets!

Jill