Andy

Default Italian or French for garlic bread?

Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?
Steve Calvin

Andy wrote:
> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

Can I pick both? ;-) Really, I'll use either but I suppose if I had to
pick one of the two I'd probably go with italian.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
sf

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:16:54 -0600, Andy >
wrote:

> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

I think it depends on what's available. I live in San
Francisco, so I prefer a crusty SF sourdough for garlic
bread.

sf
sf

wrote:

> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

I think it depends on what's available. I live in San
Francisco, so I prefer a crusty SF sourdough for garlic
bread.

sf
jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:16:54 -0600, Andy >
> wrote:
>
>> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

> I think it depends on what's available. I live in San
> Francisco, so I prefer a crusty SF sourdough for garlic
> bread.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I like sourdough too, but at the grocery store it's easier for me to find
fresh baked french loaves.

My question to the OP is, what does he *think* of as "garlic bread"? I'm
hoping it's not butter spread on slices of bread with powdered garlic
sprinkles Not that there's anything wrong with that at all! But... try

Roast a couple of heads of garlic about 1 hour at 350F. Slice and toast the
bread, then drizzle lightly with warmed olive oil and squeeze the roasted
garlic paste from the cloves onto the bread. Sprinkle with some salt if you
must (really isn't necessary). Great stuff!

Jill

jmcquown

sf wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:16:54 -0600, Andy >
> wrote:
>
>> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

> I think it depends on what's available. I live in San
> Francisco, so I prefer a crusty SF sourdough for garlic
> bread.
>
> sf
> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

I like sourdough too, but at the grocery store it's easier for me to find
fresh baked french loaves.

My question to the OP is, what does he *think* of as "garlic bread"? I'm
hoping it's not butter spread on slices of bread with powdered garlic
sprinkles Not that there's anything wrong with that at all! But... try

Roast a couple of heads of garlic about 1 hour at 350F. Slice and toast the
bread, then drizzle lightly with warmed olive oil and squeeze the roasted
garlic paste from the cloves onto the bread. Sprinkle with some salt if you
must (really isn't necessary). Great stuff!

Jill

Steve Calvin

jmcquown wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:16:54 -0600, Andy >
>>wrote:
>>

>>> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

>>I think it depends on what's available. I live in San
>>Francisco, so I prefer a crusty SF sourdough for garlic
>>bread.
>>
>>sf
>>Practice safe eating - always use condiments

> I like sourdough too, but at the grocery store it's easier for me to find
> fresh baked french loaves.
>
> My question to the OP is, what does he *think* of as "garlic bread"? I'm
> hoping it's not butter spread on slices of bread with powdered garlic
> sprinkles Not that there's anything wrong with that at all! But... try
>
> Roast a couple of heads of garlic about 1 hour at 350F. Slice and toast the
> bread, then drizzle lightly with warmed olive oil and squeeze the roasted
> garlic paste from the cloves onto the bread. Sprinkle with some salt if you
> must (really isn't necessary). Great stuff!
>
> Jill

Agreed. I don't have garlic salt or powder in the house. I do like the
roasted garlic bread but I prefer the stronger flavor of minced German
Red out of my garden. Now, that'll wake ya up! ;-)

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Dave Smith

Andy wrote:

> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

It depends on what type of Italian bread and which type of French. It
seems an awful waste of a good baguette to make garlic bread, but a
lower quality baguette sliced on an angle would be fine. The bread I
get from my local Italian bakery is, IMO, too large to use for garlic
bread, but they make a "French Stick" which would do just fine. It is
basically the same bread but in a long skinny loaf.

Nancy Young

Dave Smith wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>
> > Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

> It depends on what type of Italian bread and which type of French. It
> seems an awful waste of a good baguette to make garlic bread, but a
> lower quality baguette sliced on an angle would be fine.

WHAT???????????????????? Man, you must get some lousy garlic bread
where you live. Momma mia.

nancy
Dave Smith

Nancy Young wrote:

> WHAT???????????????????? Man, you must get some lousy garlic bread
> where you live. Momma mia.

That may be, but I can't complain when I make it myself. :-)
Actually, the local Italian bakery makes excellent bread, and I consider
garlic bread to be something made with lesser breads. This stuff is pretty
good on its own. My wife doesn't eat bread, so we don't buy a lot of it. I
get a loaf fresh from the bakery, cut it in half and then toss one half
into the freezer. I will have the other half fresh. The next day I use it
for garlic bread, and the third day I use it from French toast.

Baguettes are a whole other story. I have recently found a source of fairly
good baguettes. When they are fresh they, like the Italian bread, are too
good on their own. After it is passed its peak of freshness I start
thinking about garlic bread.

Dave Smith

Nancy Young wrote:

> WHAT???????????????????? Man, you must get some lousy garlic bread
> where you live. Momma mia.

That may be, but I can't complain when I make it myself. :-)
Actually, the local Italian bakery makes excellent bread, and I consider
garlic bread to be something made with lesser breads. This stuff is pretty
good on its own. My wife doesn't eat bread, so we don't buy a lot of it. I
get a loaf fresh from the bakery, cut it in half and then toss one half
into the freezer. I will have the other half fresh. The next day I use it
for garlic bread, and the third day I use it from French toast.

Baguettes are a whole other story. I have recently found a source of fairly
good baguettes. When they are fresh they, like the Italian bread, are too
good on their own. After it is passed its peak of freshness I start
thinking about garlic bread.

Kswck

"Andy" > wrote in message
> Which bread do you prefer for garlic bread?

French.

It's easier on the teeth.