smokehouse

Default Sopresetta

my one buddy has a great recipe for sopresetta, in the coal region we
call'em suppies, if i could only get the recipe from him, that would be
like asking the world to stop for just one second, good luck in your
quest for a good suppie recipe, i been trying for a long time

Wayne Boatwright

"smokehouse" > wrote in news:1103867017.098546.150930
@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> my one buddy has a great recipe for sopresetta, in the coal region we
> call'em suppies, if i could only get the recipe from him, that would be
> like asking the world to stop for just one second, good luck in your
> quest for a good suppie recipe, i been trying for a long time

Dry Cured Sopresetta

8 pounds lean pork or beef
2 pounds fat back
7 Tsp salt
3 Tsp powdered dextrose *
2 Tbsp black pepper (whole)
2 Tbsp black pepper (ground)
1 Tbsp ground white pepper
1/2 cup corn syrup solids *
2 level tsp Praque Powder #2
1 Tbsp hot cayenne pepper (optional)

*For these two ingredients, You may use Dark Karo syrup - 1/2 To 3/4 cup

Chill meat until almost frozen, the grind the meat and fat through 1/2 or
3/4 plate. Mix in all other ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for 48
hours at about 55 degrees, then regrind though 1/4" plate and stuff into
hog middles 8 to 10 inch long.

Place sausage in smoke house. Cold smoke until you get the color you want.

Remove from the smoker, and allow to cool, then keep the sausage between 50
and 60 degrees with a humidity of about 70 to 80 % and hold about 8 to 10
weeks Product is ready when about a 30% weight loss is achieved

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.