Default Best Cast Iron Cookware Brand

I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

Pizen

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

Lodge is what I use. Cheaper yet - peruse garage and yard sales.
People are all the time putting out good cast iron cookware out for
sale, and you might find a real bargain.

--
"Life is hard. Life is harder when
you're stupid". - John Wayne

"Politics is war without bloodshed while
war is politics with bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

'99 FLHRCI

Goomba38

Chris De Young wrote:

> Unless you're looking for enameled cast iron? That's a bit of a
> different beast, and quite a bit more expensive as I recall.
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris

I love my Le Creuset dutch oven. I don't care for
plain cast iron but love the enameled stuff. It
certainly does heat nicely and the lovely color
just cheers me every time I see or use it.
Goomba

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

Light cast iron is an oxymoron. I would just go to your favorite discount
store and buy what they have that meets your needs. I don't know what one
would consider a "set" of cast iron. The only pices that come to minde are
skillets, grill pans, and dutch ovens. I love my big cast iron skillet!

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

Light cast iron is an oxymoron. I would just go to your favorite discount
store and buy what they have that meets your needs. I don't know what one
would consider a "set" of cast iron. The only pices that come to minde are
skillets, grill pans, and dutch ovens. I love my big cast iron skillet!

Wazza

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

cast iron......heavy
rain.......wet
fire......hot
whale......large
snow....cold

get the picture ;?)

It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
old!! :-(
cheers
Wazza

Wazza

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

cast iron......heavy
rain.......wet
fire......hot
whale......large
snow....cold

get the picture ;?)

It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
old!! :-(
cheers
Wazza

Levelwave©

Jessica V. wrote:

> FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
> on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
> exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
> retailers for less .

Lodge can be found in most Walmarts for dirty cheap... You should never
pay more than $10 bucks for a 10" skillet. Amazon also sells Lodge and
offers free shipping on orders over $25, which for cast iron, is a bargain.

~john
Katra

In article >,
"Wazza" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> > completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> > affordable set. Any ideas ?
> >

> cast iron......heavy
> rain.......wet
> fire......hot
> whale......large
> snow....cold
>
> get the picture ;?)
>
> It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
> I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
> non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
> old!! :-(
> cheers
> Wazza

Uhn. Seriously, at least try hefting a Griswold.
I can easily handle my #10 with one hand, lifting it up to dump stuff
into a bowl and scraping it out with a spatula held in the opposite hand.

It really is a LOT lighter than the modern stuff.

I've heard that Wagner is every bit as good, but I've not owned one so
really cannot comment on the differences between Wagner and Griswold.
--
K.

Katra

In article >,
"Wazza" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> > completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> > affordable set. Any ideas ?
> >

> cast iron......heavy
> rain.......wet
> fire......hot
> whale......large
> snow....cold
>
> get the picture ;?)
>
> It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
> I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
> non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
> old!! :-(
> cheers
> Wazza

Uhn. Seriously, at least try hefting a Griswold.
I can easily handle my #10 with one hand, lifting it up to dump stuff
into a bowl and scraping it out with a spatula held in the opposite hand.

It really is a LOT lighter than the modern stuff.

I've heard that Wagner is every bit as good, but I've not owned one so
really cannot comment on the differences between Wagner and Griswold.
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Jessica V. wrote:
>
> > FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
> > on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
> > exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
> > retailers for less .

> Lodge can be found in most Walmarts for dirty cheap... You should never
> pay more than $10 bucks for a 10" skillet. Amazon also sells Lodge and
> offers free shipping on orders over $25, which for cast iron, is a bargain.
>
> ~john

But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

In most cases, Cast iron can last a lifetime if you get something good!
To me, that is a good investment.

Cheap cookware? <sigh> No thanks. It's just not worth it in the long run.

I've found the same philosophy works with appliances. My mom's GE front
loader washing machine lasted for 25 years with a few repairs. We
finally replaced it.... for $800.00. But, if it lasts the same amount of
time, it's cheaper than replacing a $200.00 washing machine every 3
years.
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Jessica V. wrote:
>
> > FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
> > on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
> > exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
> > retailers for less .

> Lodge can be found in most Walmarts for dirty cheap... You should never
> pay more than $10 bucks for a 10" skillet. Amazon also sells Lodge and
> offers free shipping on orders over $25, which for cast iron, is a bargain.
>
> ~john

But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

In most cases, Cast iron can last a lifetime if you get something good!
To me, that is a good investment.

Cheap cookware? <sigh> No thanks. It's just not worth it in the long run.

I've found the same philosophy works with appliances. My mom's GE front
loader washing machine lasted for 25 years with a few repairs. We
finally replaced it.... for $800.00. But, if it lasts the same amount of
time, it's cheaper than replacing a $200.00 washing machine every 3
years.
--
K.
Thomas Speer

Non-enamelled cast iron is reactive, so contact with acid foods (most
tomatoes, wine, etc) will leach some iron (and some degree of metallic
taste) into the dish -- not a bad thing for women's health, but
reportedly problematic for men...

Not sure if this is as true for well-seasoned cast iron (or
pre-seasoned Lodge Logic pans).
Levelwave©

Katra wrote:

> But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

I don't believe that... not above a certain limit anyway. I don't
believe ridiculously expensive cookware like Viking is going to perform
any better than something else half its price.

~john

Levelwave©

Katra wrote:

> Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
> college and had my first apt. on my own.
>
> Hated the piece of crap!

Lodge makes fine cookware.

~john
Katra

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

> I don't believe that... not above a certain limit anyway. I don't
> believe ridiculously expensive cookware like Viking is going to perform
> any better than something else half its price.
>
> ~john

Well...

Someone did mention something about a 30 year old piece of cast iron
breaking in half on the stove. ;-)

Mine are far older than that and have nary a crack...

GOOD cast iron will last about 10 generations or so.
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

> I don't believe that... not above a certain limit anyway. I don't
> believe ridiculously expensive cookware like Viking is going to perform
> any better than something else half its price.
>
> ~john

Well...

Someone did mention something about a 30 year old piece of cast iron
breaking in half on the stove. ;-)

Mine are far older than that and have nary a crack...

GOOD cast iron will last about 10 generations or so.
--
K.
Katra

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
> > college and had my first apt. on my own.
> >
> > Hated the piece of crap!

> Lodge makes fine cookware.
>
> ~john

To each their own. :-P

I hate lodge.

But that's just me....

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
> > college and had my first apt. on my own.
> >
> > Hated the piece of crap!

> Lodge makes fine cookware.
>
> ~john

To each their own. :-P