FoodBanter.com

-   -   Best Cast Iron Cookware Brand (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/48902-best-cast-iron-cookware.html)

[email protected] 21-12-2004 09:32 PM

Best Cast Iron Cookware Brand

I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
affordable set. Any ideas ?

Pizen 21-12-2004 09:55 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

Lodge is what I use. Cheaper yet - peruse garage and yard sales.
People are all the time putting out good cast iron cookware out for
sale, and you might find a real bargain.

--
"Life is hard. Life is harder when
you're stupid". - John Wayne

"Politics is war without bloodshed while
war is politics with bloodshed" - Mao Zedong

'99 FLHRCI

Chris De Young 21-12-2004 10:14 PM

wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

I haven't seen much difference among brands really; cast iron cookware is
pretty straightforward. Lodge is the only name that comes to mind offhand,
but I suspect that any brand is probably going to be fine. It'll all be
heavy though (and you want it to be for best cooking).

Unless you're looking for enameled cast iron? That's a bit of a different
beast, and quite a bit more expensive as I recall.

Cheers,
-Chris

Goomba38 21-12-2004 10:29 PM

Chris De Young wrote:

> Unless you're looking for enameled cast iron? That's a bit of a
> different beast, and quite a bit more expensive as I recall.
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris

I love my Le Creuset dutch oven. I don't care for
plain cast iron but love the enameled stuff. It
certainly does heat nicely and the lovely color
just cheers me every time I see or use it.
Goomba

Vox Humana 21-12-2004 10:44 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

Light cast iron is an oxymoron. I would just go to your favorite discount
store and buy what they have that meets your needs. I don't know what one
would consider a "set" of cast iron. The only pices that come to minde are
skillets, grill pans, and dutch ovens. I love my big cast iron skillet!

Vox Humana 21-12-2004 10:44 PM

oups.com...

Jessica V. 21-12-2004 10:55 PM

wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

I have several kinds of cast iron. The old stuff is cast better than
the newer stuff. With the exception being some of the CI that was made
in Japan between 1950 and 1980. The older pans in common shapes/sizes
can easily be had in antique shops, thrift shops, flea markets and
garage sales for $1-$15.

Plain, I have Griswold, Wagner & Lodge. Lodge being the only one that
is currently produced.

Enameled Le Crueset & Portland Stove Foundry, the latter being a long
defunct company.

On the enameled pieces I have no real preferance. On the plain, for
large size pieces I find the old stuff to be somewhat lighter in weight
than Lodge.

FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
retailers for less .

Jessica

Rodney Myrvaagnes 21-12-2004 11:03 PM

On 21 Dec 2004 13:32:23 -0800, wrote:

>I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
>completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
>affordable set. Any ideas ?

I don't know about getting a "set." And "not too heavy" is a no no. CI
is not as conductive as copper or aluminum, so it needs to be even
heavier to distribute heat evenly. I don't know a big skillet of CI
that actually is even, and my wife has trouble lifting the biggest by
its little handle.

Unless you are going to spring for enameled CI, like Le Crueset, it is
better to look in junque shoppes for old ones, which are more likely
to have the bottom ground smooth on the inside.

Get a stout 2-tined fork so you can use both hands to lift the
skillet.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

The destruction of the World Trade Center was
a faith-based initiative. -- George Carlin

Wazza 21-12-2004 11:34 PM

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

cast iron......heavy
rain.......wet
fire......hot
whale......large
snow....cold

get the picture ;?)

It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
old!! :-(
cheers
Wazza

Wazza 21-12-2004 11:34 PM

oups.com...

Levelwave© 21-12-2004 11:40 PM

Jessica V. wrote:

> FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
> on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
> exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
> retailers for less .

Lodge can be found in most Walmarts for dirty cheap... You should never
pay more than $10 bucks for a 10" skillet. Amazon also sells Lodge and
offers free shipping on orders over $25, which for cast iron, is a bargain.

~john

Katra 22-12-2004 08:23 AM

In article .com>,
wrote:

> I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> affordable set. Any ideas ?

GRISWOLD!!! :-)

But you won't find it new.
I got most of mine on ebay.

And it was well worth every dime I spent for it......

Antique pans = usually already well seasoned.

Griswold is MUCH lighter in weight than most modern cast iron,
has a smoother finish and is just, well, superior in my personal
experience.

Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
college and had my first apt. on my own.

Hated the piece of crap!

I'd been spoiled by mom's Griswolds!

It ain't inexpensive but since cast iron lasts for generations, it's a
once in a lifetime investment!

Don't get the cheapest you can, get the best you can afford!!!

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Katra 22-12-2004 08:23 AM

Katra 22-12-2004 08:25 AM

In article >,
Chris De Young > wrote:

> wrote:
> > I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> > completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> > affordable set. Any ideas ?
> >

> I haven't seen much difference among brands really; cast iron cookware is
> pretty straightforward. Lodge is the only name that comes to mind offhand,
> but I suspect that any brand is probably going to be fine. It'll all be
> heavy though (and you want it to be for best cooking).
>
> Unless you're looking for enameled cast iron? That's a bit of a different
> beast, and quite a bit more expensive as I recall.
>
> Cheers,
> -Chris

Lodge is the easiest to find, the most common that I've seen, and the
cheapest!

But, they have a rough finish and they weigh a ton! I never was able to
get a non-stick surface on the one I had. :-P I finally gave it to the
thrift store when I got my griswold collection.

What a difference. ;-)

But, as I posted before, they were NOT inexpensive!

But I did not care.......

Katra 22-12-2004 08:28 AM

In article >,
"Wazza" > wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I am thinking about buying a new set of Cast Iron Cookware . I am
> > completely new to this. I want to get a good brand, not too heavy,
> > affordable set. Any ideas ?
> >

> cast iron......heavy
> rain.......wet
> fire......hot
> whale......large
> snow....cold
>
> get the picture ;?)
>
> It really doesn't matter which brand, what matters is how you look after it.
> I only use cast iron, BTW, except for a small omelette pan, which is
> non-stick, as my original cast iron one cracked open. It was over 30 years
> old!! :-(
> cheers
> Wazza

Uhn. Seriously, at least try hefting a Griswold.
I can easily handle my #10 with one hand, lifting it up to dump stuff
into a bowl and scraping it out with a spatula held in the opposite hand.

It really is a LOT lighter than the modern stuff.

I've heard that Wagner is every bit as good, but I've not owned one so
really cannot comment on the differences between Wagner and Griswold.
--
K.

Katra 22-12-2004 08:28 AM

Katra 22-12-2004 08:32 AM

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Jessica V. wrote:
>
> > FWIW I've seen dramatic differances in price on Lodge cookware depending
> > on where it is being sold. LL Bean & Williams-Sonoma sell it but the
> > exact same piece can be had a smallish kitchen shops and big box
> > retailers for less .

> Lodge can be found in most Walmarts for dirty cheap... You should never
> pay more than $10 bucks for a 10" skillet. Amazon also sells Lodge and
> offers free shipping on orders over $25, which for cast iron, is a bargain.
>
> ~john

But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

In most cases, Cast iron can last a lifetime if you get something good!
To me, that is a good investment.

Cheap cookware? <sigh> No thanks. It's just not worth it in the long run.

I've found the same philosophy works with appliances. My mom's GE front
loader washing machine lasted for 25 years with a few repairs. We
finally replaced it.... for $800.00. But, if it lasts the same amount of
time, it's cheaper than replacing a $200.00 washing machine every 3
years.
--
K.

Katra 22-12-2004 08:32 AM

Thomas Speer 22-12-2004 09:48 PM

Non-enamelled cast iron is reactive, so contact with acid foods (most
tomatoes, wine, etc) will leach some iron (and some degree of metallic
taste) into the dish -- not a bad thing for women's health, but
reportedly problematic for men...

Not sure if this is as true for well-seasoned cast iron (or
pre-seasoned Lodge Logic pans).

Levelwave© 23-12-2004 02:58 AM

Katra wrote:

> But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

I don't believe that... not above a certain limit anyway. I don't
believe ridiculously expensive cookware like Viking is going to perform
any better than something else half its price.

~john

Levelwave© 23-12-2004 03:02 AM

Katra wrote:

> Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
> college and had my first apt. on my own.
>
> Hated the piece of crap!

Lodge makes fine cookware. ;)

~john

Katra 23-12-2004 03:41 AM

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > But don't forget, when it comes to cookware, you get what you pay for!

> I don't believe that... not above a certain limit anyway. I don't
> believe ridiculously expensive cookware like Viking is going to perform
> any better than something else half its price.
>
> ~john

Well...

Someone did mention something about a 30 year old piece of cast iron
breaking in half on the stove. ;-)

Mine are far older than that and have nary a crack...

GOOD cast iron will last about 10 generations or so.
--
K.

Katra 23-12-2004 03:41 AM

Katra 23-12-2004 03:41 AM

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
> > college and had my first apt. on my own.
> >
> > Hated the piece of crap!

> Lodge makes fine cookware. ;)
>
> ~john

To each their own. :-P

I hate lodge.

But that's just me....

Katra 23-12-2004 03:41 AM

In article >,
Levelwave© > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Lodge is the most common. I had a lodge pan when I was a senior in
> > college and had my first apt. on my own.
> >
> > Hated the piece of crap!

> Lodge makes fine cookware. ;)
>
> ~john

To each their own. :-P