Nancree

Default HAMS, salting, curing, smoking/ Interesting site here

http://www.velvitoil.com/Curing.HTML

Lots of good information on preserving hams.
Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
Nancree
Levelwave©

Nancree wrote:

> Lots of good information on preserving hams.
> Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
> Nancree

Speaking of... I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local
stupidmarket? I was browsing the meat section today and all I could find
was preserved.

~john
Steve Calvin

Levelwave© wrote:
> Nancree wrote:
>
>> Lots of good information on preserving hams.
>> Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
>> Nancree

> Speaking of... I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local
> stupidmarket? I was browsing the meat section today and all I could find
> was preserved.
>
> ~john

Rarely, if ever. A local farmer or local butcher maybe able to get you
one but it would probably need to be ordered well ahead of time.

--
Steve

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dogs face they get mad at
you but when you take them for a ride in the car they stick their head
out of the window?
Steve Calvin

Levelwave© wrote:
> Nancree wrote:
>
>> Lots of good information on preserving hams.
>> Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
>> Nancree

> Speaking of... I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local
> stupidmarket? I was browsing the meat section today and all I could find
> was preserved.
>
> ~john

Rarely, if ever. A local farmer or local butcher maybe able to get you
one but it would probably need to be ordered well ahead of time.

--
Steve

Did you ever notice that when you blow in a dogs face they get mad at
you but when you take them for a ride in the car they stick their head
out of the window?
Edwin Pawlowski

"Nancree" > wrote in message

> http://www.velvitoil.com/Curing.HTML
>
> Lots of good information on preserving hams.
> Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
> Nancree

Great web site. I've visited Dan a few times and even helped with hanging
some hams. Dan and Barb are very interesting and fun people. Check out
some of his wood floors in the house. He designs, she mills the wood and
installs it.

Bubba

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Levelwave© wrote:
>
>> Nancree wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of good information on preserving hams.
>>> Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
>>> Nancree

>> Speaking of... I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local
>> stupidmarket? I was browsing the meat section today and all I could
>> find was preserved.
>>
>> ~john

> Rarely, if ever. A local farmer or local butcher maybe able to get you
> one but it would probably need to be ordered well ahead of time.

Must depend on where you live...If I hunt around I can usually find one
any time of the year, and around the holidays most of the stores in town
carry them.

Bubba

--
You wanna measure, or you wanna cook?

Tom Scott

"Nancree" > wrote in message

http://www.velvitoil.com/Curing.HTML

Lots of good information on preserving hams.
Thanks to all of you who answered my question on "What is fresh ham?".
Nancree

We still bag a lot of ours when we butcher; it isn't a well known process
and the taste is definitely NOT what you expect when you hear the term
"sausage".

For those interested, I tossed up a couple of pictures of our bag sausage
which we always called "poke sausage:

http://home.ntelos.net/~jacobs/Butcher/

Sometime, I'll put up a few more of the butchering process, mainly for my
cousin to show her co-workers since she helps with the whole process, from
killing to curing.

Best ,

Tom

PENMART01

Bubba pepper44 writes:

>Steve Calvin wrote:

>>> I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local stupidmarket?

>> Rarely, if ever. A local farmer or local butcher maybe able to get you
>> one but it would probably need to be ordered well ahead of time.
>>

>Must depend on where you live...If I hunt around I can usually find one
>any time of the year, and around the holidays most of the stores in town
>carry them.

Fresh ham is for the most part a seasonal cut in the US, traditionally only
available around Christmas/New Year and Easter. At other times of the year
people just don't tend to cook such large cuts, and fresh ham has a rather
short shelf life, and is too lean for sausage, which is why most are cured.
Fresh ham also doesn't freeze well or it would be readily available all year as
is frozen turkey. But if you are on good terms with a local butcher shop, ie.
a steady customer, they will special order for you. Also, in larger cities,
especially in ethnic neighborhoods, fresh ham will be show cased all year....
fresh ham is always available at Hispanic markets... right next to the pig
trotters, pernil, and penises. Where I used to live on Lung Guyland the
Hispanic markets, and there were many, commonly sold large pork cuts, in fact
whole 100lb pigs were always at the ready... Hispanics would typically have the
entire family over for a weekend pig roast.... now yer talkin' REAL Q, none of
that pansy assed white man crapola yoose guys is always arguing about.... and
they don't need any fancy contraption... just dig a huge hole in the ground.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Edwin Pawlowski

"Tom Scott" > wrote in message >
> Sometime, I'll put up a few more of the butchering process, mainly for my
> cousin to show her co-workers since she helps with the whole process, from
> killing to curing.
>
> Best ,
>
> Tom

Please do. It is one of the lost arts that most people have never seen or
even heard about.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Tom Scott" > wrote in message >
> Sometime, I'll put up a few more of the butchering process, mainly for my
> cousin to show her co-workers since she helps with the whole process, from
> killing to curing.
>
> Best ,
>
> Tom

Please do. It is one of the lost arts that most people have never seen or
even heard about.
Ed

Ranee Mueller

In article >, Levelwave©
> wrote:

> Speaking of... I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local
> stupidmarket? I was browsing the meat section today and all I could find
> was preserved.

Depends on your area and your supermarket. We can occasionally get
them at two different stores, but not all the time.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Levelwave©
> wrote:

> Speaking of... I'm guessing 'fresh hams' aren't found at the local
> stupidmarket? I was browsing the meat section today and all I could find
> was preserved.

Depends on your area and your supermarket. We can occasionally get
them at two different stores, but not all the time.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
-L.

You can sometimes order them if they do not usually carry them. Fresh
is so much better than cured/smoked, IMO. Well worth the extra cost.
-L.

Tom Scott

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

"Tom Scott" > wrote in message >
> Sometime, I'll put up a few more of the butchering process, mainly for my
> cousin to show her co-workers since she helps with the whole process, from
> killing to curing.
>
> Best ,
>
> Tom

Please do. It is one of the lost arts that most people have never seen or
even heard about.
Ed

Thanks...I'll try and put up a few over the weekend if I have time. We
didn't keep a REAL good photo record since we butcher every year. There
are a lot of 'arts' that are rapidly going by the wayside. Check back by
the link I posted above.

Tom