Virginia Tadrzynski

Default Goose

Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
-Ginny

--
"There are weapons of mass destruction.....and Dick Cheney has the receipt"
.. -Prof. Irwin Corey

PENMART01

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" honked:
>
>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey?

I'm a goose virgin (behave Sheldon).

ROAST GOOSE WITH CARAMELIZED APPLES

Roast goose with apples, a specialty of Alsace, has become a classic Hanukkah
dish in Paris. This recipe comes from Didier Lewkowicz, a butcher in the old
Jewish quarter of Paris. Serve a French red Bordeaux with the goose.

1 13-pound goose, giblets and neck discarded
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup Calvados
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Rinse goose inside
and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and
pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into
slits. Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and
removing excess fat; reserve 6 tablespoons fat. Turn goose over. Roast until
brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F,
basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.

Meanwhile, toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Pour 6 tablespoons goose
fat into 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer
apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat. Add sugar, Calvados and
cinnamon to apples; toss. Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and
golden, about 1 hour.

Serve goose with caramelized apples.

Serves 8.
Bon Appétit
December 1997

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> "Virginia Tadrzynski" honked:
>
>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey?

I'm a goose virgin (behave Sheldon).

ROAST GOOSE WITH CARAMELIZED APPLES

Roast goose with apples, a specialty of Alsace, has become a classic Hanukkah
dish in Paris. This recipe comes from Didier Lewkowicz, a butcher in the old
Jewish quarter of Paris. Serve a French red Bordeaux with the goose.

1 13-pound goose, giblets and neck discarded
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup Calvados
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Rinse goose inside
and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and
pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into
slits. Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and
removing excess fat; reserve 6 tablespoons fat. Turn goose over. Roast until
brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F,
basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.

Meanwhile, toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Pour 6 tablespoons goose
fat into 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer
apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat. Add sugar, Calvados and
cinnamon to apples; toss. Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and
golden, about 1 hour.

Serve goose with caramelized apples.

Serves 8.
Bon Appétit
December 1997

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Andrew H. Carter

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:47:19 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> scribbled some thoughts:

>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
>goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
>-Ginny

Yes. Though depending on how it was raised (Wild, domestic,
grain fed, foraging) it may be a learning experience as far
as taste, so I would be prepared to possibly overcome the
possible gamy taste.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

If it's a domestic goose it could be pretty fat. What you can do about
this is make a slit down the back and remove some of the excess fat
that lies just under the skin. You can render the fat in a pot over
low heat with an onion (which will clean up the flavor) to make a good
cooking fat.

D.M.

Louis Cohen

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
> goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
> -Ginny
>

> --
> "There are weapons of mass destruction.....and Dick Cheney has the receipt"
> . -Prof. Irwin Corey

It has lots more fat than chicken or turkey. Poke some holes and make
sure the fat can drain while it cooks.
Louis Cohen

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
> goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
> -Ginny
>

> --
> "There are weapons of mass destruction.....and Dick Cheney has the receipt"
> . -Prof. Irwin Corey

It has lots more fat than chicken or turkey. Poke some holes and make
sure the fat can drain while it cooks.
zxcvbob

PENMART01 wrote:
>>"Virginia Tadrzynski" honked:
>>
>>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey?

> I'm a goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
>
> ROAST GOOSE WITH CARAMELIZED APPLES
>
> Roast goose with apples, a specialty of Alsace, has become a classic Hanukkah
> dish in Paris. This recipe comes from Didier Lewkowicz, a butcher in the old
> Jewish quarter of Paris. Serve a French red Bordeaux with the goose.
>
> 1 13-pound goose, giblets and neck discarded
> 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
> 8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges
> 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
> 6 tablespoons sugar
> 1/4 cup Calvados
> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
>
> Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Rinse goose inside
> and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and
> pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into
> slits. Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
> Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and
> removing excess fat; reserve 6 tablespoons fat. Turn goose over. Roast until
> brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F,
> basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.
>
> Meanwhile, toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Pour 6 tablespoons goose
> fat into 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer
> apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat. Add sugar, Calvados and
> cinnamon to apples; toss. Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and
> golden, about 1 hour.
>
> Serve goose with caramelized apples.
>
> Serves 8.
> Bon Appétit
> December 1997

Have you made this? Do you think decent (VSOP) brandy would substitute
OK for the Calvados? I have a goose in the freezer...

Best regards,
Bob
Colin Brook

In message > on Sat, 18 Dec 2004,
Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote
>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm
>goose virgin (behave Sheldon).

Here are a couple of recipe suggestions and a comment:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...runea_1038.sht
ml>
I'm using this stuffing recipe this Christmas and have made it with
tinned chestnuts - possibly a mistake since the consistency is a little
too smooth - I may even add some chestnut pieces when it is defrosted.

<http://www.goose.cc/NewpagesSept04/recipes.html>
This is the recipe page of the British Goose Producers.

<http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/w...ne/2004/12/04/
edhugh04.xml&sSheet=/wine/2004/12/04/ixedmain.html>
This latter is a 'road test' of the River Cottage goose recipe which
uses the neck for a 'sausage', the legs for confit and the main body for
a Christmas lunch roast. It's better than the original because it is a
lot faster to access and there are some critical comments.

Regards, Colin

--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703

Colin Brook

In message > on Sat, 18 Dec 2004,
Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote
>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm
>goose virgin (behave Sheldon).

Here are a couple of recipe suggestions and a comment:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...runea_1038.sht
ml>
I'm using this stuffing recipe this Christmas and have made it with
tinned chestnuts - possibly a mistake since the consistency is a little
too smooth - I may even add some chestnut pieces when it is defrosted.

<http://www.goose.cc/NewpagesSept04/recipes.html>
This is the recipe page of the British Goose Producers.

<http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/w...ne/2004/12/04/
edhugh04.xml&sSheet=/wine/2004/12/04/ixedmain.html>
This latter is a 'road test' of the River Cottage goose recipe which
uses the neck for a 'sausage', the legs for confit and the main body for
a Christmas lunch roast. It's better than the original because it is a
lot faster to access and there are some critical comments.

Regards, Colin

--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703
Colin Brook

In message > on Sat, 18 Dec 2004,
Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote
>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm
>goose virgin (behave Sheldon).

Here are a couple of recipe suggestions and a comment:
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...runea_1038.sht
ml>
I'm using this stuffing recipe this Christmas and have made it with
tinned chestnuts - possibly a mistake since the consistency is a little
too smooth - I may even add some chestnut pieces when it is defrosted.

<http://www.goose.cc/NewpagesSept04/recipes.html>
This is the recipe page of the British Goose Producers.

<http://www.opinion.telegraph.co.uk/w...ne/2004/12/04/
edhugh04.xml&sSheet=/wine/2004/12/04/ixedmain.html>
This latter is a 'road test' of the River Cottage goose recipe which
uses the neck for a 'sausage', the legs for confit and the main body for
a Christmas lunch roast. It's better than the original because it is a
lot faster to access and there are some critical comments.

Regards, Colin

--
Colin Brook - Winchester (UK)

Fax:+44(0)8701641293 Mobile:07976258703
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 02:19:46 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>>"Virginia Tadrzynski" honked:
>>>
>>>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey?

>> I'm a goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
>>
>> ROAST GOOSE WITH CARAMELIZED APPLES
>>
>> Roast goose with apples, a specialty of Alsace, has become a classic Hanukkah
>> dish in Paris. This recipe comes from Didier Lewkowicz, a butcher in the old
>> Jewish quarter of Paris. Serve a French red Bordeaux with the goose.
>>
>> 1 13-pound goose, giblets and neck discarded
>> 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
>> 8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges
>> 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
>> 6 tablespoons sugar
>> 1/4 cup Calvados
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
>>
>> Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Rinse goose inside
>> and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and
>> pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into
>> slits. Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
>> Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and
>> removing excess fat; reserve 6 tablespoons fat. Turn goose over. Roast until
>> brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F,
>> basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.
>>
>> Meanwhile, toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Pour 6 tablespoons goose
>> fat into 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer
>> apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat. Add sugar, Calvados and
>> cinnamon to apples; toss. Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and
>> golden, about 1 hour.
>>
>> Serve goose with caramelized apples.
>>
>> Serves 8.
>> Bon Appétit
>> December 1997
>>

>Have you made this? Do you think decent (VSOP) brandy would substitute
>OK for the Calvados? I have a goose in the freezer...

IMO, cognac would substitute fine for _aged_ Calvados, because the
barrel is more impotant than the fruit in both. But, if the original
recipe wanted _raw_ Calvados, that is more like an apple eau de vie,
with strong apple flavor.

I would go with the latter, if you have it, for its affinity with the
apples. But, if VSOP is what you have, use it.

Disclaimer--I have not cooked a goose, but I am familiar with the
brandies in question.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
Rodney Myrvaagnes

wrote:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>>>"Virginia Tadrzynski" honked:
>>>
>>>Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey?

>> I'm a goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
>>
>> ROAST GOOSE WITH CARAMELIZED APPLES
>>
>> Roast goose with apples, a specialty of Alsace, has become a classic Hanukkah
>> dish in Paris. This recipe comes from Didier Lewkowicz, a butcher in the old
>> Jewish quarter of Paris. Serve a French red Bordeaux with the goose.
>>
>> 1 13-pound goose, giblets and neck discarded
>> 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
>> 8 Gala or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges
>> 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
>> 6 tablespoons sugar
>> 1/4 cup Calvados
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
>>
>> Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 350°F. Rinse goose inside
>> and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and
>> pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into
>> slits. Place goose on rack, breast side down, in large roasting pan.
>> Roast goose 2 hours 45 minutes, basting occasionally with drippings and
>> removing excess fat; reserve 6 tablespoons fat. Turn goose over. Roast until
>> brown and thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 175°F,
>> basting occasionally with drippings, about 45 minutes longer.
>>
>> Meanwhile, toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Pour 6 tablespoons goose
>> fat into 15 x 10 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Using slotted spoon, transfer
>> apples to baking dish; toss apples in goose fat. Add sugar, Calvados and
>> cinnamon to apples; toss. Bake apples alongside goose until very tender and
>> golden, about 1 hour.
>>
>> Serve goose with caramelized apples.
>>
>> Serves 8.
>> Bon Appétit
>> December 1997
>>

>Have you made this? Do you think decent (VSOP) brandy would substitute
>OK for the Calvados? I have a goose in the freezer...

IMO, cognac would substitute fine for _aged_ Calvados, because the
barrel is more impotant than the fruit in both. But, if the original
recipe wanted _raw_ Calvados, that is more like an apple eau de vie,
with strong apple flavor.

I would go with the latter, if you have it, for its affinity with the
apples. But, if VSOP is what you have, use it.

Disclaimer--I have not cooked a goose, but I am familiar with the
brandies in question.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

Let's Put the XXX back in Xmas
pavane

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
> goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
> -Ginny

Schitz Farms is one of the largest and oldest producers
of geese in the US. Their website is www.roastgoose.com
and has exhaustive information and collections of recipes,
techniques and suggestions galore. Take a look, I would
trust their judgment implicitly.

pavane

pavane

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message
> Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
> goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
> -Ginny

Schitz Farms is one of the largest and oldest producers
of geese in the US. Their website is www.roastgoose.com
and has exhaustive information and collections of recipes,
techniques and suggestions galore. Take a look, I would
trust their judgment implicitly.

pavane

Victor Sack

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote:

> Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas.

I posted this a couple of times before.

Here are a couple of recipes. One is very simple (but good!), the other
more elaborate. Bear in mind that, relative to its size, goose has very
little meat on it. Still, an average goose would feed perhaps 5 or 6
people, more if there is a rich stuffing.

Roast goose with apples

1 large goose
2 pounds tart apples (as tart as you can find; if they are unripe, so
much the better), quartered
1 teaspoon juniper berries
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
salt

Rub the inside of goose with a mixture of salt, garlic and juniper
berries. Fill the goose with apples tightly and sew it up. Roast in a
hot oven for 2-3 hours, basting frequently with its own fat.

Actually, what I like even more is goose roasted as above, but without
any stuffing at all. In any case, goose is to be served with potatoes
roasted in goose fat.

And here is a recipe with complex stuffing. It is by Romain Bapst, from
_Chefköche erinnern sich: Lieblingsgerichte aus Kindertagen_
(_Chefs Remember: Favourite Childhood Dishes_), by Peter Hoffmann.

Gefüllte Gans zwischen "Himmel und Erde"
Stuffed Goose between "Heaven and Earth"

Serves 8

1 nice, plump goose
3 Blutwürste (blood sausages, i.e. black pudding)
500 g (1.1 pounds) minced pork and veal
150 g (5.3 oz) bread, soaked in milk
1 onion
40 g (1.4 oz) parsley
oil
butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 apple (Boskop)
1 egg

Carefully rinse and gut the goose. Mince the goose heart and liver in
the grinder, then the onions and parsley which you have sautéed in
butter and oil, the squeesed-out bread, salt and pepper. Mix all of
this with the minced pork and veal and add the egg and the cubed apple.

Fill the goose with the mixture. Peel the blood sausages and add them,
too. Sew the aperture with coarse thread.

Cook the goose slowly in the oven in its own fat, about 2 1/2-3 hours,
basting it every 15 minutes. Salt and pepper after one hour. Serve
with a celery purée and chestnuts sautéed in some butter.

Victor
Kate Connally

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Okay, I wanna cook a goose for Christmas. Same way as a turkey? I'm a
> goose virgin (behave Sheldon).
> -Ginny

I absolutely love goose but rarely have it because it's
so expensive. About a month and a half ago one of the
supermarkets had frozen goose on sale for $2.99 a pound
which is way cheap around here. So I splurged and put
it on my credit card. I'm planning to cook it sometime
between Xmas and New Year's. I've cooked goose many times
in the past and I was trying to decide which recipe to
use this time. (I used to make it once in a while for
St. Patrick's Day and used a great Irish recipe in which
it is stuffed with mashed potato and sage.) This time
I decided, however, to make the following recipe which
I had made over 15 years ago for a medieval Xmas dinner
I was cooking. It turned out very well. A few changes
may be necessary. Such as the quinces. Not sure I can
get them easily around here so will probably substitute
a tart apple such as Granny Smith. Also, the recipe
doesn't tell you what to do, if anything, with the fruit
stuffing. What I did before was remove the fruit from
the goose and add it to the gravy. Seems a shame to
just throw it away. So, I guess that's not authentic,
but what the hell. The recipe is from my Medieval
cookbook "Pleyn Delit".
Kate

GOOSE WITH SAUCE MADAME
1 goose
1 t. sage
1 t. parsley
1 t. hyssop (or mint)
1 t. savory
1 pear, hard, peeled, cored, and chopped
1 quince, pared, cored, and chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 c. grapes, seedless
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. wine, red
1/2 t. salt or to taste

Stuff the goose with a mixture of the fruits, herbs,
and garlic; sew or skewer closed, and roast on a rack
in an open roasting pan at 325F for 30 minutes per
pound. Pour off the fat as it accumulates, and set
aside. When goose is about done, make a sauce by
blending together the breadcrumbs, vinegar, spices, and
wine with a little of the accumulated fat (about 1/4
cup is probably as much as most people would find
palatable). Pour over the goose, or serve separately.

PS. Save the goose fat for frying potatoes, etc.
It's wonderful.

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Goose Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 89 17-12-2008 05:19 PM
Goose Burnt Food Dude Barbecue 71 14-12-2005 09:33 PM
Goose fat ideas Janet Bostwick General Cooking 5 13-01-2005 04:05 AM
Goose fat ideas Bob General Cooking 7 12-01-2005 08:20 AM