Andy

Default Supersize me (revisited)

"zuuum" > wrote in news:7Y1vd.3898$lZ6.3793@trnddc02:

> When I read the original post's title, the first thing I wondered was
> how many people in rfc have seen the movie "Super-size Me" and
> specifically what members in this group think about the obesity
> epidemic in America

zuuum,

I just rented and watched the movie. He sure went through a dangerous
hell to make a point.

The film was very good. I thought his girlfriend was pretty decent about
the whole thing, and if I was him, she would be a great comfort to fall
back on as a healthy chef, after the last Mac supper!

What's wrong with Texas!?? According to the figures (excuse the pun),
things don't look good for alot of Texans.

And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

I forgot how bad the school cafeterias had gotten. In high school, my
senior project was all about food additives. I posted lots of tent cards
pointing out the poisons in the foods they served. Granted, most of it
was pretty bad nutrition-wise, but we weren't obese. Got the cafeteria
workers hopping mad, but I did get an A in the end.

One thing that didn't come up in the movie was the production/consumption
cost for fast food. Something along the lines of... it cost McDonald
$0.45 to make a Big Mac but the consumer pays $1.99. Or 48 oz. of sugar
water... probably cost them $0.05. That's practically money for nothing!
For them it means "supersize our profit!"

Toxic was a good word to decribe fast food.

And the advertisers! How do they sleep at night? THE BUMS!!!

Imho,

Andy (whose last fast food was a sausage/egg/cheese bagel on 12/14/04
from WAWA).
Nancy Young

Andy wrote:

> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

You are joking, right?

nancy
Nancy Young

Andy wrote:

> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

You are joking, right?

nancy
A.C.

Andy wrote:

> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

damn those fast food giants. i wish they didn't control me like that. i wish
i had the self control to avoid those *******s but they've brainwashed me
into realizing that the only thing available to eat is their damn monster
burgers dipped in bacon grease! :-P

A.C.

Andy wrote:

> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

damn those fast food giants. i wish they didn't control me like that. i wish
i had the self control to avoid those *******s but they've brainwashed me
into realizing that the only thing available to eat is their damn monster
burgers dipped in bacon grease! :-P

Andy

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
>> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

> You are joking, right?
>
> nancy

More of the problem is that the parents don't give a shit what their kids
eat!

Did you see the movie?

Andy
Andy

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Andy wrote:
>
>> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
>> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

> You are joking, right?
>
> nancy

More of the problem is that the parents don't give a shit what their kids
eat!

Did you see the movie?

Andy
Nancy Young

Andy wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> >> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

> > You are joking, right?

> More of the problem is that the parents don't give a shit what their kids
> eat!
>
> Did you see the movie?

No, I haven't. I guess I was rude perhaps, but my point was, if I
want a Whopper or a Big Bacon Cheeseburger, I want that choice. I
sure as hell do not need corporations telling me what I can and
cannot order. Once or twice a year, that's all that will do, a
big old friggin burger and fries.

Things are different, I guess. When I was a kid, I didn't have
pocket change to run around buying fast food. I had a lunchbag.
Sandwich, maybe raisins or cookies, a friggin apple.

Point being, I could buy a salad from Acme. I go to Wendy's, I
want a BURGER. Not so much since they have gone so far downhill,
but you get my meaning. I don't need them telling me what to
order, that's all.

nancy
Nancy Young

Andy wrote:

> Nancy Young > wrote in
> :
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> >> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

> > You are joking, right?

> More of the problem is that the parents don't give a shit what their kids
> eat!
>
> Did you see the movie?

No, I haven't. I guess I was rude perhaps, but my point was, if I
want a Whopper or a Big Bacon Cheeseburger, I want that choice. I
sure as hell do not need corporations telling me what I can and
cannot order. Once or twice a year, that's all that will do, a
big old friggin burger and fries.

Things are different, I guess. When I was a kid, I didn't have
pocket change to run around buying fast food. I had a lunchbag.
Sandwich, maybe raisins or cookies, a friggin apple.

Point being, I could buy a salad from Acme. I go to Wendy's, I
want a BURGER. Not so much since they have gone so far downhill,
but you get my meaning. I don't need them telling me what to
order, that's all.

nancy
Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

>>Did you see the movie?

> No, I haven't. I guess I was rude perhaps, but my point was, if I
> want a Whopper or a Big Bacon Cheeseburger, I want that choice. I
> sure as hell do not need corporations telling me what I can and
> cannot order. Once or twice a year, that's all that will do, a
> big old friggin burger and fries.
> nancy

I hear ya, but after seeing the movie it brings
out to your attention how jaded we have become.
This food isn't a "treat" anymore.. it's the
mainstay diet of a large majority of people.
Didn't some poster here on RFC just write that she
took her 14 month old to eat fast food 3-4 times a
WEEK!?! That's just plain disgusting as well as
being a really lousy parent (IMO). So this movie
should really be seen.. reminds us how far we've
come from that occasional treat. Blecck.
Goomba

Goomba38

Nancy Young wrote:

>>Did you see the movie?

> No, I haven't. I guess I was rude perhaps, but my point was, if I
> want a Whopper or a Big Bacon Cheeseburger, I want that choice. I
> sure as hell do not need corporations telling me what I can and
> cannot order. Once or twice a year, that's all that will do, a
> big old friggin burger and fries.
> nancy

I hear ya, but after seeing the movie it brings
out to your attention how jaded we have become.
This food isn't a "treat" anymore.. it's the
mainstay diet of a large majority of people.
Didn't some poster here on RFC just write that she
took her 14 month old to eat fast food 3-4 times a
WEEK!?! That's just plain disgusting as well as
being a really lousy parent (IMO). So this movie
should really be seen.. reminds us how far we've
come from that occasional treat. Blecck.
Goomba

Andy

And...

the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
picture but not Jesus Christ.

Hello???!!!

Perhaps I'm over-reacting.

Andy

Nancy Young

Goomba38 wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > No, I haven't. I guess I was rude perhaps, but my point was, if I
> > want a Whopper or a Big Bacon Cheeseburger, I want that choice. I
> > sure as hell do not need corporations telling me what I can and
> > cannot order. Once or twice a year, that's all that will do, a
> > big old friggin burger and fries.

> I hear ya, but after seeing the movie it brings
> out to your attention how jaded we have become.
> This food isn't a "treat" anymore.. it's the
> mainstay diet of a large majority of people.

That is their decision.

> Didn't some poster here on RFC just write that she
> took her 14 month old to eat fast food 3-4 times a
> WEEK!?! That's just plain disgusting as well as
> being a really lousy parent (IMO).

Agreed. That is just ridiculous.

> So this movie
> should really be seen.. reminds us how far we've
> come from that occasional treat. Blecck.

I'm sincerely not arguing whether people should see it or not.
Common sense tells you, you don't eat fast food every day, not
even close.

My point was, don't take my choices away because some people
abuse them. But, they have the right to make those choices,
even if I think it's stupid. What bugs me is feeding it to
kids. They don't have a choice. Parents need to get a grip
on that issue.

nancy
Nancy Young

Goomba38 wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:

> > No, I haven't. I guess I was rude perhaps, but my point was, if I
> > want a Whopper or a Big Bacon Cheeseburger, I want that choice. I
> > sure as hell do not need corporations telling me what I can and
> > cannot order. Once or twice a year, that's all that will do, a
> > big old friggin burger and fries.

> I hear ya, but after seeing the movie it brings
> out to your attention how jaded we have become.
> This food isn't a "treat" anymore.. it's the
> mainstay diet of a large majority of people.

That is their decision.

> Didn't some poster here on RFC just write that she
> took her 14 month old to eat fast food 3-4 times a
> WEEK!?! That's just plain disgusting as well as
> being a really lousy parent (IMO).

Agreed. That is just ridiculous.

> So this movie
> should really be seen.. reminds us how far we've
> come from that occasional treat. Blecck.

I'm sincerely not arguing whether people should see it or not.
Common sense tells you, you don't eat fast food every day, not
even close.

My point was, don't take my choices away because some people
abuse them. But, they have the right to make those choices,
even if I think it's stupid. What bugs me is feeding it to
kids. They don't have a choice. Parents need to get a grip
on that issue.

nancy

Nancy Young

Andy wrote:

> And...
>
> the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
> picture but not Jesus Christ.
>
> Hello???!!!
>

> Perhaps I'm over-reacting.

As if we really knew what he looked like. I don't think he was
a blue eyed long straight haired guy. At any rate, that's what
church is for.

nancy
Nancy Young

Andy wrote:

> And...
>
> the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
> picture but not Jesus Christ.
>
> Hello???!!!
>

> Perhaps I'm over-reacting.

As if we really knew what he looked like. I don't think he was
a blue eyed long straight haired guy. At any rate, that's what
church is for.

nancy
A.C.

Dog3 wrote:

> Ewww... Hardee's Monster Thickburger... I don't even want the mental

image.
> It's probably 3 pounds of processed meat right off the grill. Add some
> cheese, at least 2 slices, mayo etc. Yep. Heart attack in a bag.

two 1/3-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of
cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun

A.C.

Dog3 wrote:

> Ewww... Hardee's Monster Thickburger... I don't even want the mental

image.
> It's probably 3 pounds of processed meat right off the grill. Add some
> cheese, at least 2 slices, mayo etc. Yep. Heart attack in a bag.

two 1/3-pound slabs of Angus beef, four strips of bacon, three slices of
cheese and mayonnaise on a buttered sesame seed bun

Andy

Dog3 > wrote in
:

> Ewww... Hardee's Monster Thickburger... I don't even want the mental
> image. It's probably 3 pounds of processed meat right off the grill.
> Add some cheese, at least 2 slices, mayo etc. Yep. Heart attack in a
> bag.
>
> Michael

Michael,

Awww... c'mon... take a look! It's not as bad as you think.

www.hardees.com

Or for the lesser version of the western bacon burger "food porn" TV
commercial, load:

http://www.hardeesgirl.com/thecommercial.html

Andy

P.S. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. -A

Andy

Dog3 > wrote in
:

> Ewww... Hardee's Monster Thickburger... I don't even want the mental
> image. It's probably 3 pounds of processed meat right off the grill.
> Add some cheese, at least 2 slices, mayo etc. Yep. Heart attack in a
> bag.
>
> Michael

Michael,

Awww... c'mon... take a look! It's not as bad as you think.

www.hardees.com

Or for the lesser version of the western bacon burger "food porn" TV
commercial, load:

http://www.hardeesgirl.com/thecommercial.html

Andy

P.S. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. -A

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Andy > wrote:

> "zuuum" > wrote in news:7Y1vd.3898$lZ6.3793@trnddc02:
>
> > When I read the original post's title, the first thing I wondered was
> > how many people in rfc have seen the movie "Super-size Me" and
> > specifically what members in this group think about the obesity
> > epidemic in America

> zuuum,
>
> I just rented and watched the movie. He sure went through a dangerous
> hell to make a point.
>
> The film was very good. I thought his girlfriend was pretty decent about
> the whole thing, and if I was him, she would be a great comfort to fall
> back on as a healthy chef, after the last Mac supper!
>
> What's wrong with Texas!?? According to the figures (excuse the pun),
> things don't look good for alot of Texans.
>
> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.
>
> I forgot how bad the school cafeterias had gotten. In high school, my
> senior project was all about food additives. I posted lots of tent cards
> pointing out the poisons in the foods they served. Granted, most of it
> was pretty bad nutrition-wise, but we weren't obese. Got the cafeteria
> workers hopping mad, but I did get an A in the end.
>
> One thing that didn't come up in the movie was the production/consumption
> cost for fast food. Something along the lines of... it cost McDonald
> $0.45 to make a Big Mac but the consumer pays $1.99. Or 48 oz. of sugar
> water... probably cost them $0.05. That's practically money for nothing!
> For them it means "supersize our profit!"
>
> Toxic was a good word to decribe fast food.
>
> And the advertisers! How do they sleep at night? THE BUMS!!!

Not only have I seen the movie, I use it in my introductory nutrition
class along with Fast Food Nation. The book and the film complement
each other well.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Andy > wrote:

> "zuuum" > wrote in news:7Y1vd.3898$lZ6.3793@trnddc02:
>
> > When I read the original post's title, the first thing I wondered was
> > how many people in rfc have seen the movie "Super-size Me" and
> > specifically what members in this group think about the obesity
> > epidemic in America

> zuuum,
>
> I just rented and watched the movie. He sure went through a dangerous
> hell to make a point.
>
> The film was very good. I thought his girlfriend was pretty decent about
> the whole thing, and if I was him, she would be a great comfort to fall
> back on as a healthy chef, after the last Mac supper!
>
> What's wrong with Texas!?? According to the figures (excuse the pun),
> things don't look good for alot of Texans.
>
> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.
>
> I forgot how bad the school cafeterias had gotten. In high school, my
> senior project was all about food additives. I posted lots of tent cards
> pointing out the poisons in the foods they served. Granted, most of it
> was pretty bad nutrition-wise, but we weren't obese. Got the cafeteria
> workers hopping mad, but I did get an A in the end.
>
> One thing that didn't come up in the movie was the production/consumption
> cost for fast food. Something along the lines of... it cost McDonald
> $0.45 to make a Big Mac but the consumer pays $1.99. Or 48 oz. of sugar
> water... probably cost them $0.05. That's practically money for nothing!
> For them it means "supersize our profit!"
>
> Toxic was a good word to decribe fast food.
>
> And the advertisers! How do they sleep at night? THE BUMS!!!

Not only have I seen the movie, I use it in my introductory nutrition
class along with Fast Food Nation. The book and the film complement
each other well.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Dog3 > wrote:

> Nancy Young > chugged a beer and wrote in
> :
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> >> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

> > You are joking, right?
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Ewww... Hardee's Monster Thickburger... I don't even want the mental image.
> It's probably 3 pounds of processed meat right off the grill. Add some
> cheese, at least 2 slices, mayo etc. Yep. Heart attack in a bag.
>
> Michael

If you really want to get grossed out, the local specialty in Scotland
is deep-fried Mars bars. Is it any wonder that Scots "have the highest
incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
expectancy in the developing world?" (From the Associated Press,
12/17/04)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Dog3 > wrote:

> Nancy Young > chugged a beer and wrote in
> :
>
> > Andy wrote:
> >
> >> And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
> >> The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.

> > You are joking, right?
> >
> > nancy
> >

> Ewww... Hardee's Monster Thickburger... I don't even want the mental image.
> It's probably 3 pounds of processed meat right off the grill. Add some
> cheese, at least 2 slices, mayo etc. Yep. Heart attack in a bag.
>
> Michael

If you really want to get grossed out, the local specialty in Scotland
is deep-fried Mars bars. Is it any wonder that Scots "have the highest
incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
expectancy in the developing world?" (From the Associated Press,
12/17/04)

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

elaine

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>> If you really want to get grossed out, the local specialty in Scotland

> is deep-fried Mars bars. Is it any wonder that Scots "have the highest
> incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
> expectancy in the developing world?" (From the Associated Press,
> 12/17/04)
>
> Cindy

Sounds interesting. Think I'll try me one.

Mars bar, that is.

elaine

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
>> If you really want to get grossed out, the local specialty in Scotland

> is deep-fried Mars bars. Is it any wonder that Scots "have the highest
> incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
> expectancy in the developing world?" (From the Associated Press,
> 12/17/04)
>
> Cindy

Sounds interesting. Think I'll try me one.

Mars bar, that is.

WardNA

>the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
>picture but not Jesus Christ.
>
>Hello???!!!

.. . . and good-bye to this false analogy.

Could YOU identify Jesus Christ? Of whom no authentic images exist and whose
very existence is open to question?
WardNA

>the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
>picture but not Jesus Christ.
>
>Hello???!!!

.. . . and good-bye to this false analogy.

Could YOU identify Jesus Christ? Of whom no authentic images exist and whose
very existence is open to question?
WardNA

>Scots "have the highest
>incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
>expectancy in the developing world

Since when has Scotland rated as "developing"?

WardNA

>Scots "have the highest
>incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
>expectancy in the developing world

Since when has Scotland rated as "developing"?
Richard Periut

WardNA wrote:
>>the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
>>picture but not Jesus Christ.
>>
>>Hello???!!!

> . . . and good-bye to this false analogy.
>
> Could YOU identify Jesus Christ? Of whom no authentic images exist and whose
> very existence is open to question?

It is through faith, and the glowing feeling that Existence has humbled
itself before mankind, and set a simple example of good will and love
towards one another, but especially, forgiving each other.

Simple, yet so difficult to achieve.

Forget about the gazillion cults and pseudo christian beliefs and
religions; including one that is so powerful and wealthy (name
withheld,) that it is totally against the teachings of the Christ.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

Richard Periut

WardNA wrote:
>>the casual interview with the tots who could identify Ronald McDonald's
>>picture but not Jesus Christ.
>>
>>Hello???!!!

> . . . and good-bye to this false analogy.
>
> Could YOU identify Jesus Christ? Of whom no authentic images exist and whose
> very existence is open to question?

It is through faith, and the glowing feeling that Existence has humbled
itself before mankind, and set a simple example of good will and love
towards one another, but especially, forgiving each other.

Simple, yet so difficult to achieve.

Forget about the gazillion cults and pseudo christian beliefs and
religions; including one that is so powerful and wealthy (name
withheld,) that it is totally against the teachings of the Christ.

Rich

--
"Dum Spiro, Spero."

As long as I breath, I hope.

Cicero (Ancient Rome)

ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤° `°¤ø,¸¸,ø¤°`°¤ø
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸. ><((((º> ·´¯`·. , .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Let there be fish!!!

JimLane

WardNA wrote:
>>Scots "have the highest
>>incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
>>expectancy in the developing world

> Since when has Scotland rated as "developing"?

Maybe a typo on the poster's part, but, "developing?" Not.

jim
JimLane

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:37:01 -0600, Andy > wrote:

>"zuuum" > wrote in news:7Y1vd.3898$lZ6.3793@trnddc02:
>
>> When I read the original post's title, the first thing I wondered was
>> how many people in rfc have seen the movie "Super-size Me" and
>> specifically what members in this group think about the obesity
>> epidemic in America

>zuuum,
>
>I just rented and watched the movie. He sure went through a dangerous
>hell to make a point.

Eating a lot and wearing a fat suit?

>The film was very good. I thought his girlfriend was pretty decent about
>the whole thing, and if I was him, she would be a great comfort to fall
>back on as a healthy chef, after the last Mac supper!
>
>What's wrong with Texas!?? According to the figures (excuse the pun),
>things don't look good for alot of Texans.
>
>And now we have the wonders like the Hardee's Monster Thickburgers, etc.
>The fast food giants don't give a shit what you eat.
>
>I forgot how bad the school cafeterias had gotten. In high school, my
>senior project was all about food additives. I posted lots of tent cards
>pointing out the poisons in the foods they served. Granted, most of it
>was pretty bad nutrition-wise, but we weren't obese. Got the cafeteria
>workers hopping mad, but I did get an A in the end.
>
>One thing that didn't come up in the movie was the production/consumption
>cost for fast food. Something along the lines of... it cost McDonald
>$0.45 to make a Big Mac but the consumer pays $1.99. Or 48 oz. of sugar
>water... probably cost them $0.05. That's practically money for nothing!
>For them it means "supersize our profit!"
>
>Toxic was a good word to decribe fast food.
>
>And the advertisers! How do they sleep at night? THE BUMS!!!
>
>Imho,
>
>Andy (whose last fast food was a sausage/egg/cheese bagel on 12/14/04
>from WAWA).

Virginia Tadrzynski

"JimLane" > wrote in message
> WardNA wrote:
> >>Scots "have the highest
> >>incidence of heart disease, cancer, and strokes and the lowest life
> >>expectancy in the developing world

> > Since when has Scotland rated as "developing"?

> Maybe a typo on the poster's part, but, "developing?" Not.
>

> jim

Remember, this is the home of the ascot........to quote Blue Collar TV, they
dun et that and their ass-cot way too big.
-Ginny
(who before you flame me, was born-n-bred a MacDonald)

Supersize me brother Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 9 25-01-2013 10:35 AM
Rum Pot Revisited Casey Wilson Winemaking 10 14-04-2007 10:17 PM
Supersize Me Goes Vegan Steve Vegan 0 09-08-2004 05:05 PM
Buh-bye supersize fries Curly Sue General Cooking 37 09-03-2004 04:15 AM
McDonald's Dumps Supersize Menu Nexis General Cooking 2 07-03-2004 03:54 AM