Virginia Tadrzynski

Default King cake

I know I could google a recipe.....but. Can anyone send me a recipe for a
King Cake I can make at home tomorrow. Gotta meeting and wanna impress the
unimpressionable.
-Ginny

--
"The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated." - Mark Twain

Emily Quesenberry

King Cake W/ Cream Cheese Filling

cakes, cheese, desserts

2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
2 eggs
4 cup flour
----FILLING----
1/2 king cake recipe
16 oz cherry, apple or
1 apricot pie filling
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoon flour
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 dried bean
1 yellow, green purple sugars

Mix the yeast with the warm water. Stir 1 teaspoon of the sugar and 1
teaspoon of the flour into the yeast and set aside. By the time you have
measured the other ingredients, the yeast should start bubbling.

Bring the milk to a boil and stir in the butter and the sugar. Pour into
a large bowl; the mixture should be lukewarm. Beat in the egg yolks,
whole eggs and the yeast.

Beat in approximately 2 cups of flour, until the dough is fairly smooth,
then gradually add enough additional flour to make a soft dough that you
can form into a ball. Knead it, until smooth and elastic. Lightly oil a
bowl, turn the dough once or twice in it to grease it lightly all over,
cover with a cloth and leave to rise in a warm spot until doubled in size
about 1 1/2 hours.

Pat dough down and cover with the bowl with a damp towel, plastic film
over that and refrigerate until the next day. This recipe makes enough
dough for two king cakes. Extra dough may be frozen, or make two king
cakes and freeze one. Thaw frozen cake and reheat 10 minutes at 375F.

Preparation: Remove dough from refrigerator with well-floured hands,
while it's firm and cold, shape into a long sausage shape. Using a
floured roller on a floured surface, roll out the dough into a 30X9
rectangle as thin as pie crust. Let the dough rest.

If necessary, drain extra juice from pie filling. Mix the cream cheese
with the sugar, flour, egg yolks and vanilla. Spoon an inch wide strip of
fruit filling the length of the dough, about 3 inches from one edge. Spoon
the cream cheese mixture alongside the fruit, about 3 inches from the
other edge. Brush both sides of dough with egg wash. Insert the bean.

Fold one edge of dough over the cream cheese and fruit, then fold the
other edge over. Gently place one end of the filled roll onto a greased
pizza pan or a large cookie sheet. Ease the rest of the roll onto the
pan, joining the ends to form a circle or oval. Cover and let rest for 30
minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Brush again with egg wash and cut deep
vents into the cake. Sprinkle with colored sugars in two inch wide bands.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or cake is well risen and golden. Cool before
icing with confectioner's sugar mixed with enough water to make a
spreadable paste and tinted purple, green and gold.

If using a plastic baby, instead of the bean, insert it into the bottom of
the cake after it is cooked. Tradition says that the person getting the
King cake baby, will make the cake for the following Mardi Gras Season.

Yield: 12 servings

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I do not wish to expiate, but to live.
My life is for itself and not for a spectacle.
I much prefer that it should be of a lower strain,
so it be genuine and equal, than that it should be glittering and unsteady.
I wish it to be sound and sweet, and not to heed diet and bleeding."

King Cake Tara General Cooking 13 02-03-2014 08:07 AM
King Cake Tara General Cooking 42 24-02-2013 03:43 PM
King Cake Denise~* General Cooking 11 04-03-2006 06:13 AM
King Cake Ida Slapter Baking 0 20-01-2005 12:37 AM
King Cake Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 13-01-2005 06:11 AM