FoodBanter.com

-   -   Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/4743-crawfish-what-do-precooked.html)

DoctorK 23-02-2004 09:28 PM

Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
(near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
Would that make them too tough?

Thanks,

Doc.

Boron Elgar 23-02-2004 09:30 PM

Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, (DoctorK)
wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
>(near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
>in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
> If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
>these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
> Would that make them too tough?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Doc.

We eat them cold. Break off the heads & shell & use a mayo-based dip
of your choice.

Boron

jmcquown 23-02-2004 09:46 PM

DoctorK wrote:
> I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
> (near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
> in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
> If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
> these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
> Would that make them too tough?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doc.

Yes, you could heat them up that way; toss them in boiling water just long
enough to heat through. Don't overcook or, you're right, they could become
tough.

Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Jill

Tara 23-02-2004 10:45 PM

wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
>(near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
>in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
> If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
>these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
> Would that make them too tough?

I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.

Tara

jmcquown 23-02-2004 10:54 PM

Tara wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2004 13:28:52 -0800, (DoctorK)
> wrote:
>
>> I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
>> (near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
>> in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked
>> crawfish. If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare
>> (re-heat) these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a
>> few minutes? Would that make them too tough?

> I would steam them in a colander over simmering water to reheat.
>
> Tara

Double boiler trick, perhaps. Funny, while I was awake early this morning
with a sick cat Bert Wolf was on PBS talking about double boilers, toast,
burgers and cheese sauce. I ran into the man at an office building when I
was about 28 years old; he used to live in Memphis. He gave me the look-see
and asked if I knew anything about cooking as I walked down the steps. I
just smiled.

Nancree 23-02-2004 11:06 PM

Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

A "few minutes" is too long. You just want to defrost and barely heat them
through.
------------------

Steve Wertz 24-02-2004 07:29 AM

wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
>(near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
>in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
> If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
>these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
> Would that make them too tough?

They're from China and/or SE Asia. They've been cooked to
death,frozen, thawed, frozen again, thawed again, rinse and
repeat.

Throw them away. Or just don't buy them.

-sw

Pan Ohco 24-02-2004 04:06 PM

wrote:

>I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
>(near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
>in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
> If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
>these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
> Would that make them too tough?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Doc.

If you are having a "Crawfish Boil" just put them in the pot ( with
the corn,potatoes,ect) for the last minute to warm up.

If you just wish to use the Crawfish (no boil), peel and use in
etouffee.

Steaming would be good if reheating the full bugs alone.
Pan Ohco

Erica 24-02-2004 04:50 PM

Crawfish: What to do with precooked, whole crawfish

"DoctorK" > wrote in message
om...
> I discovered last night that the Wal-Mart supercenter in Gates, NY
> (near my Rochester home) carries in its seafood department whole,
> in-the-shell, cooked crawfish. They don't have any uncooked crawfish.
> If I were to have a crawfish boil, how would I prepare (re-heat)
> these? They're not frozen. Would I just boil them for a few minutes?
> Would that make them too tough?

Why not peel them and make crawfish etouffe out of the meat? Good recipes
for it are easy to find.

--Erica