Chris and Bob Neidecker

Default Spiral-sliced ham question

I feel really stupid for having to ask, but I've never served a
spiral-sliced ham before. It will be for sandwiches at a post-christening
lunch. Do I have to warm it up, or can I just unwrap it, stick it on a
platter, slice off some starter slices, and serve?

Some of our guests can't stay long, so I want to have stuff we can whisk out
of the fridge the minute we get home (we won't eat right that minute...but I
won't have to heat things or do last-minute prep etc.). Will the chill come
off the ham better if I slice it off the bone beforehand? I will have
plenty of prep time in the morning before church.

Besides the ham, I'm planning to make baked beans in a crock pot, a pasta
salad, spinach salad, chopped fresh pineapple, a veggie pltter, and assorted
breads, rolls, cheeses and condiments for the ham. Pickles and olives, too.
My mother-in-law will bring devilled eggs. Dessert will be a cake from a
wonderful neighborhood cake baker. (The poor baby...the partiy's in his
honor and he won't get to eat any of this stuff!)

Last question....has anyone ever had a spiral-slices hamj from BJ's? How
was it.

Peter Aitken

"Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in message
> I feel really stupid for having to ask, but I've never served a
> spiral-sliced ham before. It will be for sandwiches at a post-christening
> lunch. Do I have to warm it up, or can I just unwrap it, stick it on a
> platter, slice off some starter slices, and serve?
>
> Some of our guests can't stay long, so I want to have stuff we can whisk

out
> of the fridge the minute we get home (we won't eat right that minute...but

> won't have to heat things or do last-minute prep etc.). Will the chill

come
> off the ham better if I slice it off the bone beforehand? I will have
> plenty of prep time in the morning before church.
>
> Besides the ham, I'm planning to make baked beans in a crock pot, a pasta
> salad, spinach salad, chopped fresh pineapple, a veggie pltter, and

assorted
> breads, rolls, cheeses and condiments for the ham. Pickles and olives,

too.
> My mother-in-law will bring devilled eggs. Dessert will be a cake from a
> wonderful neighborhood cake baker. (The poor baby...the partiy's in his
> honor and he won't get to eat any of this stuff!)
>
> Last question....has anyone ever had a spiral-slices hamj from BJ's? How
> was it.

This doesn't answer your question, but it is relevant. In my experience,
spiral-sliced hams (and boned hams also) are always markedly inferior in
falvor to the intact, bone-in counterparts. I guess the extra processing
takes its toll. Slicing a ham is not a big deal.

--
Peter Aitken

Chris and Bob Neidecker

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...

> I'm
> curious about the bone you mentioned. Is the bone not sliced through?

Actually, I have no idea. I know the meat is spiral sliced, but I'm not
sure whether they cut around the bone or not. I don't like ham, so that's
why I've never served one of these things before. I said "cut it off the
bone," but I guess what I meant was "cut it apart."

Guess I need to read "Ham for Dummies" before next weekend.

> Sounds like a lot of food. Enjoy the day

Why, thanks! We will.

Wayne Boatwright

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
. com:

> "Chris and Bob Neidecker" > wrote in message
>> I feel really stupid for having to ask, but I've never served a
>> spiral-sliced ham before. It will be for sandwiches at a
>> post-christening lunch. Do I have to warm it up, or can I just
>> unwrap it, stick it on a platter, slice off some starter slices, and
>> serve?
>>
>> Some of our guests can't stay long, so I want to have stuff we can
>> whisk

> out
>> of the fridge the minute we get home (we won't eat right that
>> minute...but

>> won't have to heat things or do last-minute prep etc.). Will the
>> chill

> come
>> off the ham better if I slice it off the bone beforehand? I will
>> have plenty of prep time in the morning before church.
>>
>> Besides the ham, I'm planning to make baked beans in a crock pot, a
>> pasta salad, spinach salad, chopped fresh pineapple, a veggie pltter,
>> and

> assorted
>> breads, rolls, cheeses and condiments for the ham. Pickles and
>> olives,

> too.
>> My mother-in-law will bring devilled eggs. Dessert will be a cake
>> from a wonderful neighborhood cake baker. (The poor baby...the
>> partiy's in his honor and he won't get to eat any of this stuff!)
>>
>> Last question....has anyone ever had a spiral-slices hamj from BJ's?
>> How was it.
>>

> This doesn't answer your question, but it is relevant. In my
> experience, spiral-sliced hams (and boned hams also) are always
> markedly inferior in falvor to the intact, bone-in counterparts. I
> guess the extra processing takes its toll. Slicing a ham is not a big
> deal.

No, it doesn't answer her question, and I'm sure she wants to hear that
the ham she's bought (or at least planned specifically to buy) is
supposedly inferior to hams that aren't spiral-sliced. Slicing a ham
may not be a big deal to you, but it may be to the OP who has a myriad
of other things to do on this occasion.

To the OP...

I'm not familiary with BJ's, but I've had many spiral-sliced hams from
Honey-Baked Ham over the years. While I do like to bake my own cured
smoked hams which have to be sliced after baking, I really do like the
Honey-Baked Hams. They are moist and flavorful and the slices are
perfect for making sandwiches. They are fully-cooked and ready to serve
out of the package, although they can be warmed before serving if
desired. You would need to check with BJ's for the particulars regarding
their hams, but they are probably quite similar to Honey-Baked Hams.

Enjoy the christening and the party!

Wayne

sf

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:15:35 -0000, Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Is the bone not sliced through?

I don't fork over the money for Honey Baked, so I don't
know. To my surprise, I can say that I've never knowingly
eaten it at someone's house - although I do know people who
say they buy them.

Are you saying the bone in a H.B. ham is sliced? I'd be
surprised if it was because the bones in spiral hams I've
encounterd aren't sliced.

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in news:2b3j3016ourge7gqhqhtta8qeilpr2g0a1@
4ax.com:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 18:15:35 -0000, Dog3
> <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:
>
>> Is the bone not sliced through?
>>

> I don't fork over the money for Honey Baked, so I don't
> know. To my surprise, I can say that I've never knowingly
> eaten it at someone's house - although I do know people who
> say they buy them.
>
> Are you saying the bone in a H.B. ham is sliced? I'd be
> surprised if it was because the bones in spiral hams I've
> encounterd aren't sliced.

No, the bone in HBH is not sliced. The spiral slicing machine slices the
entire ham around the bone.

Wayne
Donna Rose

In article >, says...
> How can you cook a precooked ham????

You don't cook it. You warm it up.
PENMART01

>"Chris and Bob Neidecker" writes:
>
>"Dog3" wrote:
>
>> I'm
>> curious about the bone you mentioned. Is the bone not sliced through?
>>

>Actually, I have no idea. I know the meat is spiral sliced, but I'm not
>sure whether they cut around the bone or not.
>
>Guess I need to read "Ham for Dummies" before next weekend.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/hamselect.html#spiral

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

Dog3

>I have bought other hams at the supermarket when I could not or did not
>want to make the trek to Honey-Baked. The butcher at the supermarket would
>thinly slice my ham at no additional charge. Slicing a ham is a big deal to
>me because I can never get the slices uniform in size.

Next time ask the butcher to debone your ham, then it will be so simple to
slice even you can do it. Spiral cut hams are exactly the same ham as the
unsliced version (of the same brand and model naturally), but unsliced ham will
reheat better, will also cost less. Of course a fresh ham is far superiour,
also lends itself to a much greater range of creativity.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Chris and Bob Neidecker wrote:

> Actually, I have no idea. I know the meat is spiral sliced, but I'm not
> sure whether they cut around the bone or not. I don't like ham, so that's
> why I've never served one of these things before. I said "cut it off the
> bone," but I guess what I meant was "cut it apart."

You cut down through the layers, that will make the slices. Seeing
as the bone is irregular, you'll wind up cutting a few slices at a
time, probably. I think you'll be happy with your ham, but I would
take it out earlier so it's not so cold.

nancy
Wayne Boatwright

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> Wayne Boatwright > deliciously
> posted in :
>

>>> This doesn't answer your question, but it is relevant. In my
>>> experience, spiral-sliced hams (and boned hams also) are always
>>> markedly inferior in falvor to the intact, bone-in counterparts. I
>>> guess the extra processing takes its toll. Slicing a ham is not a
>>> big deal.

>> No, it doesn't answer her question, and I'm sure she wants to hear
>> that the ham she's bought (or at least planned specifically to buy)
>> is supposedly inferior to hams that aren't spiral-sliced. Slicing a
>> ham may not be a big deal to you, but it may be to the OP who has a
>> myriad of other things to do on this occasion.

> I have bought other hams at the supermarket when I could not or did
> not want to make the trek to Honey-Baked. The butcher at the
> supermarket would thinly slice my ham at no additional charge. Slicing
> a ham is a big deal to me because I can never get the slices uniform
> in size.

You're fortunate that the supermarket butcher was willing to slice the
ham for you, especially at no charge. In my area they will do it, albeit
begrudgingly, but with a charge. I've been disappointed in most of the
supermarket hams I'vwe bought, so have usually gone the HBH route. On
occasion, though, I will have a ham shipped to me by relatives in MS.
Those are really worth baking from scratch and even putting up with the
slicing. <G>

>> To the OP...
>>
>> I'm not familiary with BJ's, but I've had many spiral-sliced hams
>> from Honey-Baked Ham over the years. While I do like to bake my own
>> cured smoked hams which have to be sliced after baking, I really do
>> like the Honey-Baked Hams. They are moist and flavorful and the
>> slices are perfect for making sandwiches. They are fully-cooked and
>> ready to serve out of the package, although they can be warmed before
>> serving if desired. You would need to check with BJ's for the
>> particulars regarding their hams, but they are probably quite similar
>> to Honey-Baked Hams.
>>
>> Enjoy the christening and the party!
>>
>> Wayne

> I really like the HB hams. They're pricey where I live but for those
> occasions when you want a really good ham without the fuss of making
> your own, they're great. As you said, perfectly sliced for
> sandwiches.
>
> Michael

They're pricey here, too, Michael. However, I think the pluses outweigh
the minuses. When I serve one of these, I know that I don't have to
worry about it and can turn my attention to everything else.

Cheers,
Wayne

sf

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:09:27 GMT, "Kent H."
> wrote:

> How can you cook a precooked ham????

To heat is to cook.