Need recipe for spaghetti sauce using real tomatoes

Old 11-12-2004, 08:43 AM
chromallly
Usenet poster

Default Need recipe for spaghetti sauce using real tomatoes

Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for spaghetti
sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google and the the
result is somewhat limited.

When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoes?

Old 11-12-2004, 09:25 AM
jmcquown
Usenet poster

chromallly wrote:
Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for
spaghetti sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google
and the the result is somewhat limited.

Search for "pomodoro sauce". You'll need fresh herbs as well.

Jill

Old 11-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Hahabogus
Usenet poster

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

chromallly wrote:
Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for
spaghetti sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google
and the the result is somewhat limited.

Search for "pomodoro sauce". You'll need fresh herbs as well.

Jill

And a food mill wouldn't hurt.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic
Old 11-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Hahabogus
Usenet poster

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Old 11-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Hahabogus
Usenet poster

"chromallly" wrote in
oups.com:

Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for spaghetti
sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google and the the
result is somewhat limited.

When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoes?

Peeled and seeded tomatoes, run thru a food mill. The mill will deseed
and peel the tomatoes for you. I find using canned crushed tomatoes is
cheaper and less work.

--
Starchless in Manitoba.
Type 2 Diabetic
Old 11-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Hahabogus
Usenet poster

"chromallly" wrote in
oups.com:

Old 11-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Joelle
Usenet poster

When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoe

I suggest you step away from the recipe and free yourself.

To make sauce for my two kids and I and maybe some left over, I saute an onion
and red bell pepper and garlic in olive oil until its transparent, add a little
red wine. I use to add celery but my kids don't like it so much.

I don't bother with the blender, but if I'm energetic and have time I will
throw the tomatoes (I grow paste tomatoes - some complain they don't taste as
good but I like them) in boiling water, then in ice water to peel them easier.
Paste tomatoes will already be mushy by then, no need to chop them.

If I don't feel like going through the trouble I'll chop up the toms as is and
throw them in, but then you may have to pick out a few skins.

Paste tomatoes are smaller. If you don't want to cheat and use a little tomato
paste, then you may need 5 or 6 small paste tomatoes - less big ones. I just
throw them in. I add a little sugar and basil, oregano and parsley. I also
have some Penseys Italian herbs that I may use. A little sugar, a little salt
some more wine if it's too thick....an hour, some sweet Italian sausage...and
you got some good spagetti sauce.

I would encourage you to experiement and get away from being tied to a recipe
for something like this. If you don't put in enough tomatoes, go ahead and add
some canned or sauce, and next time you'll know better. Better to make a few
mistakes so you can learn to be free!

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

Old 11-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Kent
Usenet poster

You have to make tomato sauce from real tomatoes and then make your pasta
sauce. The former is an afternoon's work and isn't worth it unless you have
at least a lug[25 or so lb.] of tomatoes.
I roast the tomatoes in a 250 oven for 2-3 hours, until the skin gets very
loose. Then you put the tomatoes, including the liquid at the bottom of the
roaster pan through a mill to remove skin and seeds. Then you reduce this on
top of the stove, very slowly, with only a slight ebullation at the surface
to the wished for consistency and thickness of your sauce. From that you
make your ragu, or whatever. The taste of the tomato sauce far exceeds
anything you will find in a can, and is worth the effort. This will freeze
without loss of flavor for a long time.
Cheers,
Kent

oups.com...

Old 11-12-2004, 06:29 PM
zxcvbob
Usenet poster

Kent wrote:
You have to make tomato sauce from real tomatoes and then make your pasta
sauce. The former is an afternoon's work and isn't worth it unless you have
at least a lug[25 or so lb.] of tomatoes.
I roast the tomatoes in a 250 oven for 2-3 hours, until the skin gets very
loose. Then you put the tomatoes, including the liquid at the bottom of the
roaster pan through a mill to remove skin and seeds. Then you reduce this on
top of the stove, very slowly, with only a slight ebullation at the surface
to the wished for consistency and thickness of your sauce. From that you
make your ragu, or whatever. The taste of the tomato sauce far exceeds
anything you will find in a can, and is worth the effort. This will freeze
without loss of flavor for a long time.
Cheers,
Kent

If you quarter the tomatoes before you roast them, won't this reduce the
simmering time on top of the stove by greatly increasing the evaporation
while in the oven?

Bob

Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Andrew H. Carter
Usenet poster

On 10 Dec 2004 23:43:42 -0800, "chromallly"
scribbled some thoughts:

Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for spaghetti
sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google and the the
result is somewhat limited.

When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoes?

With fresh tomatoes as opposed to canned tomatoes you will
have to plan to spend more time in the kitchen to reduce it
down to a sauce level. Canned tomatoes will greatly cut
down the time (we're talking hours), so if you need to make
spaghetti and have it ready at 5:00 pm and you start it at
2:00 pm, canned tomatoes will be done, fresh tomatoes, will
still be cooking down.

Some things I make from scratch, others I use the canned
shortcuts. TIME is the main "ingredient" to consider.
Short on time, then pure scratch may not cut it.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| () ()
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
Old 11-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Andrew H. Carter
Usenet poster

On 10 Dec 2004 23:43:42 -0800, "chromallly"
scribbled some thoughts:

Could any of you share some good authentic italian recipe for spaghetti
sauce that uses real tomatoes? I've looked through google and the the
result is somewhat limited.

When a recipe calls for a can of tomatoes, how can I replace that with
real tomatoes? Do I just throw all the tomatoes in the blender and
measure it to 8 oz? Do I use peeled or unpeeled tomatoes?

With fresh tomatoes as opposed to canned tomatoes you will
have to plan to spend more time in the kitchen to reduce it
down to a sauce level. Canned tomatoes will greatly cut
down the time (we're talking hours), so if you need to make
spaghetti and have it ready at 5:00 pm and you start it at
2:00 pm, canned tomatoes will be done, fresh tomatoes, will
still be cooking down.

Some things I make from scratch, others I use the canned
shortcuts. TIME is the main "ingredient" to consider.
Short on time, then pure scratch may not cut it.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| () ()
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------