Lurker Steve

Default Pressure cooking corned beef - wow!

I first tried cooking corned beef (the cheap supermarket kind) last year and
it turned out terrible. I swore it off - the resulting meat was tough and
fatty.

Yesterday I found myself in possession of a pressure cooker (special from
overstock.com), and found a great recipe for corned beef from Cooks
Illustrated, so I gave it a try. One hour in the pressure cooker, then
adding vegetables and cooking for another five.

All I have to say is - what a difference. The corned beef was very tender,
and melted in my mouth.

jmcquown

Lurker Steve wrote:
> I first tried cooking corned beef (the cheap supermarket kind) last
> year and it turned out terrible. I swore it off - the resulting meat
> was tough and fatty.
>
> Yesterday I found myself in possession of a pressure cooker (special
> from overstock.com), and found a great recipe for corned beef from
> Cooks Illustrated, so I gave it a try. One hour in the pressure
> cooker, then adding vegetables and cooking for another five.
>
> All I have to say is - what a difference. The corned beef was very
> tender, and melted in my mouth.

My mom used to make corned beef brisket this way; it was great and cooked in
no time. Of course, being a corned beef fan, I've tried it stove-top (large
covered skillet), crock-pot and oven-baked. I love it no matter what.
Never had a "tough" corned beef brisket; perhaps you didn't cook it long
enough. You didn't say what the original cooking method was. As for the
fat, I usually trim off most of that top layer of fat prior to cooking it.

Anyway, glad you found a method you like!

Jill

Lurker Steve

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
.. .
> My mom used to make corned beef brisket this way; it was great and cooked

in
> no time. Of course, being a corned beef fan, I've tried it stove-top

(large
> covered skillet), crock-pot and oven-baked. I love it no matter what.
> Never had a "tough" corned beef brisket; perhaps you didn't cook it long
> enough. You didn't say what the original cooking method was. As for the
> fat, I usually trim off most of that top layer of fat prior to cooking it.

I did it on the stove. You are right, I probably didn't leave it in long
enough... another nice thing about the pressure cooker method, it's done
quicker for impatient people such as myself

I'm planning on trying risotto next.

notbob

On 2004-02-21, Lurker Steve > wrote:

> Yesterday I found myself in possession of a pressure cooker (special from
> overstock.com), and found a great recipe for corned beef from Cooks
> Illustrated, so I gave it a try. One hour in the pressure cooker, then
> adding vegetables and cooking for another five.

While I'm not real impressed with CI's recipes, I'd be willing to give it a
try, as I'm a real fan of pressure-cooker corned beef. As you say, 45-60
mins for the beef and another 5 mins for the cabbage/veggies. Yum!

Would you post CI's recipe?

nb
Lurker Steve

"notbob" > wrote in message
> While I'm not real impressed with CI's recipes, I'd be willing to give it

> try, as I'm a real fan of pressure-cooker corned beef. As you say, 45-60
> mins for the beef and another 5 mins for the cabbage/veggies. Yum!
>
> Would you post CI's recipe?

Sure.

http://www.surlatable.com/recipes/re...&version=print

Corned Beef with Vegetables
Makes 6 servings

Note: This simply prepared meal would take over 3 hours without the use of a
pressure cooker.

Ingredients

a.. 1 corned beef brisket, about 2½ to 3 pounds, trimmed of excess fat
b.. 4 cups of water (or 2 cups chicken stock with 2 cups water)
c.. 1 medium onion, peeled, halved and stuck with 4 whole cloves
d.. 2 ribs of celery, cut into thirds
e.. 4 sprigs of parsley
f.. ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
g.. 2 bay leaves
h.. 1 medium head of green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges and partially cored
(leave enough to retain shape)
i.. 6 small red potatoes
j.. 6 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thirds
Procedure

1. Place brisket in a 5-quart or larger pressure cooker. Add water and with
the top off bring to a boil over high heat. Skim foam from surface.

2. Add onion, celery, parsley, peppercorns and bay leaves.

3. Close and lock lid. Over high heat, bring pressure up until the second
red ring is showing.

4. Adjust heat to stabilize pressure at second red ring. Cook for 1 hour.

5. Remove from heat and use Cold Water Release Method (see instructions that
came with your cooker). Remove brisket and vegetables.

6. Add cabbage, potatoes and carrots to broth. Do not fill cooker over 2/3
full. If necessary, remove some broth.

7. Close lid and bring pressure to second red ring over high heat. Adjust
heat to stabilize pressure at second red ring. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.

8. Remove from heat and use Cold Water Pressure Release Method (See your
instruction manual).

9. Cut brisket across the grain into thin slices and arrange down the center
of a warm platter. Using a slotted spoon, remove vegetables from pressure
cooker and place around corned beef. Spoon a few tablespoons of broth over
the corned beef.

10. Serve with horseradish or mustard sauce.

My comments: Err on less time for the vegetables, because of the cabbage.

Katra

In article >,
"Lurker Steve" > wrote:

> I first tried cooking corned beef (the cheap supermarket kind) last year and
> it turned out terrible. I swore it off - the resulting meat was tough and
> fatty.
>
> Yesterday I found myself in possession of a pressure cooker (special from
> overstock.com), and found a great recipe for corned beef from Cooks
> Illustrated, so I gave it a try. One hour in the pressure cooker, then
> adding vegetables and cooking for another five.
>
> All I have to say is - what a difference. The corned beef was very tender,
> and melted in my mouth.

Pressure cooking can be awesome. ;-)
Welcome to the club!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

notbob

On 2004-02-21, Lurker Steve > wrote:

> Corned Beef with Vegetables
> Makes 6 servings

Well, isn't that special. That recipe is the same recipe, verbatim, from my
Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker cookbook, circa 1993. Kinda makes ya' wonder
where Pompous Bowtie Man got his recipe. I suppose Kuhn Rikon could have
gotten the recipe from CI, but I just don't want to believe it.

From what I've found on the net, CI also started in '93. Anyone have the
first year of CI magazines, or access to CI's recipes? I'm curious as to
when CI's corned beef recipe was first published. Quite frankly, it
wouldn't surprise me one bit if ol' Chris just ripped off Kuhn Rikon and
called it his own.

nb
Dan Levy

"Lurker Steve" > wrote in message
> and found a great recipe for corned beef from Cooks
> Illustrated, so I gave it a try. One hour in the pressure cooker, then
> adding vegetables and cooking for another five.

I hope you mean minutes. :-)

Lurker Steve

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Well, isn't that special. That recipe is the same recipe, verbatim, from

my
> Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker cookbook, circa 1993. Kinda makes ya' wonder
> where Pompous Bowtie Man got his recipe. I suppose Kuhn Rikon could have
> gotten the recipe from CI, but I just don't want to believe it.
>
> From what I've found on the net, CI also started in '93. Anyone have the
> first year of CI magazines, or access to CI's recipes? I'm curious as to
> when CI's corned beef recipe was first published. Quite frankly, it
> wouldn't surprise me one bit if ol' Chris just ripped off Kuhn Rikon and
> called it his own.

I'm shocked! You should definitely do some further research, perhaps
calling Kuhn Rikon and asking if they bought his recipe or if CI ripped them
off.

This has the potential to be a major scandal. I bet Drudge would even bring
out the siren over this story!

Moldy Moldy Man

Is this the Bravetti? I saw it was a good deal- but am unsure of the
quality-
Thanks