Kate Connally

Default Who's tired of turkey leftovers?

Not me! I'm still eating leftovers every night
for dinner. I absolutely *love* leftover! Every
night I have turkey (mostly the dark meat - I use
the white for sandwiches for lunch on the weekends
and for making soup), mashed potatoes and gravy,
stuffing, and peas. Yum!

This past weekend I cooked the carcass. This year
instead of making turkey noodle soup with homemade
noodles, which I've been doing every year for the
past 15-20 years!, I decided to try something different.
I came across a recipe for turkey chowder in my
New England cookbook from Yankee Magazine. It's got
turkey stock, turkey meat, potatoes, onion, bay leaves,
and cream (if I recall everything correctly). Oops, there's
also bacon. I'll be using some of my Hungarian smoked
bacon that is stashed in chunks in the freezer. I think
I will add some diced red bell pepper, too as I have some
in the freezer. (I like to buy a lot of them when they're
cheap and then I freeze when I can't use up right away.)

So, I think this soup is going to be delicious. I got
almost 6 quarts of broth from the turkey. I think I'll
reduce it some more before making the chowder. I'm undecided
about what kind of potatoes to use. It calls for Maine
potatoes (which I take to mean red potatoes). I'm not all
that big a fan of red potatoes, although I love all kinds
of potatoes. I just mainly use russet for everything because
I like them best. Sometimes I use Yukon gold for certain
things. Anyway, I was thinking I should use red potatoes
as it would be more authentically New English but then if
I use Hungarian smoked bacon in it I've already blown the
authenticity thing, if, indeed, it even is an authentic
New English recipe as some I've seen in Yankee's cookbooks
don't seem to be very authentically New English to me.

Well, I have until Friday to decide. Maybe I should try
to find some of those blue or purple or red flesh potatoes
and use them. If I used blue potatoes I would have a very
patriotic soup - red bell peppers, blue potatoes, and
white turkey meat! ;-)

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Nancree

Me, too. I had a lovely Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house-----------but
no leftovers!!!
So I found a half-turkey at Henry's, fresh not frozen,. Just the breast, no
legs, wings, which was just fine by me. So I had my turkey dinner, lots of
dressing, and my favorite cranberry sauce. I love turkey leftovers--had a
repeated hot meal, lots of sandwiches, and today I am making one of my favorite
things--turkey tetrazini. (Spaghetti, a good white sauce with cream and milk,
flavored with nutmeg, mushrooms (I like the canned mushrooms for this, I like
the taste) browned slivered almonds, and pimiento, Parmesan cheese, and a lot
of turkey.) I'll freeze individual portions . YUM!
Nancree
Jean B.

Mpoconnor7 wrote:

> I went out to eat on Thanksgiving so I missed out on the whole leftovers thing.
> I was so desperate for leftovers this weekend that I bought cooked Butterball
> turkey drumsticks at the store along with stove top stuffing and mashed
> potatoes and turkey gravy.
>
> Michael O'Connor - Modern Renaissance Man

My daughter doesn't like turkey or any of the fixings, so I, too,
was deprived. Just a few days ago I finally managed to get myself
a yummy turkey dinner. (There's a place in town who makes them.)
I split that humungous thing in two and just had the second
portion in sandwich form. Delicious. I do think, though, I am
going to have to bake a turkey. I saw some very small ones (less
than 9 lbs) before Thanksgiving.....

--
Jean B.