FoodBanter.com

-   -   Acid Free Orange Juice (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/46878-acid-free-orange-juice.html)

timeisnow 04-12-2004 02:17 AM

Acid Free Orange Juice

My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
that doesn't?

Scotty 04-12-2004 03:12 AM

"timeisnow" > wrote in message
m...
> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> that doesn't?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Scott.

Scotty 04-12-2004 03:12 AM

"timeisnow" > wrote in message
m...
> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> that doesn't?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Scott.

Scotty 04-12-2004 03:12 AM

"timeisnow" > wrote in message
m...
> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> that doesn't?

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Scott.

Wayne Boatwright 04-12-2004 04:00 AM

(timeisnow) wrote in
m:

> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> that doesn't?

Both Tropicana and Minute Maid produce a low-acid orange juice. I don't know
of any that are completely acid free.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Wayne Boatwright 04-12-2004 04:00 AM

(timeisnow) wrote in
m:

Wayne Boatwright 04-12-2004 04:00 AM

(timeisnow) wrote in
m:

Wayne Boatwright 04-12-2004 04:01 AM

"Scotty" > wrote in news:U19sd.430084$%k.160586@pd7tw2no:

> "timeisnow" > wrote in message
> m...
>> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>> that doesn't?

> Isn't that an oxymoron?
>
> Scott.

No, that's OxyClean. It is totally acid-free.

PENMART01 04-12-2004 04:25 AM

>> "timeisnow" wrote
>>>
>>> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>>> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>>> that doesn't?

Actually it should be fairly easy to neutralize the acid in orange juice,
perhaps dissove and antacid in it, like Tums.

>> Isn't that an oxymoron?
>>
>> Scott.

No, Scott, however you are a MORON!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Abe 04-12-2004 06:31 AM

>My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>that doesn't?

---------
There was a guy where I used to work that used to add a little packet
of powder to his coffee cup. It was to buffer the acid in the coffee.
I don't remember the name of the stuff, but maybe the same thing can
be used for OJ?

Tony P. 04-12-2004 04:17 PM

In article >,
says...
> >My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> >doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> >that doesn't?

> ---------
> There was a guy where I used to work that used to add a little packet
> of powder to his coffee cup. It was to buffer the acid in the coffee.
> I don't remember the name of the stuff, but maybe the same thing can
> be used for OJ?

Bicarbonate of Soda - otherwise known as Baking Soda.

It'll neutralize the acid but it'll be a little gassy in the process.

Tony P. 04-12-2004 04:17 PM

In article >,
says...

Karen 04-12-2004 09:21 PM

"Abe" > wrote in message
> >My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>>that doesn't?

> ---------
> There was a guy where I used to work that used to add a little packet
> of powder to his coffee cup. It was to buffer the acid in the coffee.
> I don't remember the name of the stuff, but maybe the same thing can
> be used for OJ?

That little packet could have been "Prelief", an acid neutralizer. Here's a
link to the manufacturer's web site:
http://www.akpharma.com/prelief/preliefindex.html

Karen

Karen 04-12-2004 09:21 PM

[email protected] 06-12-2004 05:59 PM

In rec.food.cooking, timeisnow > wrote:
> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> that doesn't?

Orange juice doesn't "have acid in it". It is acidic.

--
In the councils of government, we must guard against the
acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought,

Scott 17-12-2004 03:11 AM

In article > ,
Bubbabob > wrote:

> That's dumb. Coffee is already on the alkaline side of neutral, not the
> acidic one. Acidity in coffee is a term used to describe the mouth feel of
> a particular variety. It's one of the five basic dimensions of coffee. It
> has nothing at all to do with real pH levels.

Coffee is mildly acidic, with a pH averaging around 5.0 - 5.1

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>

Scott 17-12-2004 03:11 AM

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 08:43 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:01:24 -0000, Bubbabob
> scribbled some thoughts:

>Scott > wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> Bubbabob > wrote:
>>
>>> That's dumb. Coffee is already on the alkaline side of neutral, not
>>> the acidic one. Acidity in coffee is a term used to describe the
>>> mouth feel of a particular variety. It's one of the five basic
>>> dimensions of coffee. It has nothing at all to do with real pH
>>> levels.

>> Coffee is mildly acidic, with a pH averaging around 5.0 - 5.1
>>

>Did you read that somewhere or measure it yourself? I'm sitting here with
>a cup of City+ roasted drip brewed Colombian Popoyan Caucano with a pH
>meter probe in it and it says 6.7.

I'd wager that since not all coffes are the same, so too the
acidity. The roasting process may affect it too. Probably
too many variable to definitively state that coffee will be
such and such ph>

Soil wherein it was grown
Roasting method
Flavors added.
Roasting length of time.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 08:43 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:01:24 -0000, Bubbabob
> scribbled some thoughts:

>Scott > wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> Bubbabob > wrote:
>>
>>> That's dumb. Coffee is already on the alkaline side of neutral, not
>>> the acidic one. Acidity in coffee is a term used to describe the
>>> mouth feel of a particular variety. It's one of the five basic
>>> dimensions of coffee. It has nothing at all to do with real pH
>>> levels.

>> Coffee is mildly acidic, with a pH averaging around 5.0 - 5.1
>>

>Did you read that somewhere or measure it yourself? I'm sitting here with
>a cup of City+ roasted drip brewed Colombian Popoyan Caucano with a pH
>meter probe in it and it says 6.7.

I'd wager that since not all coffes are the same, so too the
acidity. The roasting process may affect it too. Probably
too many variable to definitively state that coffee will be
such and such ph>

Soil wherein it was grown
Roasting method
Flavors added.
Roasting length of time.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Scott 18-12-2004 09:00 PM

In article >,
Bubbabob > wrote:

> Did you read that somewhere or measure it yourself? I'm sitting here with
> a cup of City+ roasted drip brewed Colombian Popoyan Caucano with a pH
> meter probe in it and it says 6.7.

Was the water pH neutral? Dissolved minerals can skew it alkaline.
Darker roasts can destroy the naturally occurring acids. Any idea where
what you call a City+ falls on the Agtron scale (since roast names
differ by roaster)?

My figures are from "Coffee Technology" by Michael Sivetz. p.582, one of
the most respected technical references on coffee. See,
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1103398603/
sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-0128918-1320656?v=glance&s=books&n=507
846>
or
<http://tinyurl.com/4s5ru>

As far as sources available online, here's an chart from Encarta giving
coffee's pH as 5.0:

<http://encarta.msn.com/media_4615348...n_Solutions.ht
ml>

axlq 18-12-2004 09:48 PM

In article > ,
timeisnow > wrote:
>My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>that doesn't?

Citric acid is one of the primary things that makes orange juice
taste like orange juice. You don't have OJ without it.

You can get low-acid OJ, but not no-acid. Or you can neutralize
the acid with an alkaline substance, like sodium hydroxide or
baking soda, but it'll end up tasting salty, which I think would be
revolting.

If your father thinks he is suffering from an acid stomach,
and wants to avoid acidic foods, then he's suffering from a
misconception. The acid naturally in the stomach is much, much
stronger than any acid one consumes, so consuming acidic foods won't
have any effect. The correct treatment for acid stomach is to eat
smaller meals, more often, and avoid rich meals in the evening.
Avoiding spicy food also helps. Eating plenty of fruits and
vegetables will help, but dairy products will provide only temporary
relief at the expense of making the problem worse.

-A

axlq 18-12-2004 09:48 PM

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 10:10 PM

On 3 Dec 2004 17:17:45 -0800,
(timeisnow) scribbled some thoughts:

>My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>that doesn't?

I's called water. What he wants is akin to have snow stay
on the ground in Death Valley in the dead of winter. While
tea is mildly acidic, it is less acidic than orange juice,
so that may be an option.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Andrew H. Carter 18-12-2004 10:10 PM

On 3 Dec 2004 17:17:45 -0800,
(timeisnow) scribbled some thoughts:

>My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>that doesn't?

I's called water. What he wants is akin to have snow stay
on the ground in Death Valley in the dead of winter. While
tea is mildly acidic, it is less acidic than orange juice,
so that may be an option.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

PENMART01 18-12-2004 11:26 PM

>Andrew H. Carter equivocates:
>
>On 3 Dec 2004 17:17:45 -0800,
>(timeisnow) scribbled some thoughts:
>

>>My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>>that doesn't?

>I's called water. What he wants is akin to have snow stay
>on the ground in Death Valley in the dead of winter.

What:
http://www.tropicana.com/index.asp?id=94

How: http://www.dow.com/liquidseps/prod/sp_orange.htm

PENMART01 18-12-2004 11:26 PM

Scott 19-12-2004 01:51 AM

In article >,
Andrew H. Carter > wrote:

> I'd wager that since not all coffes are the same, so too the
> acidity. The roasting process may affect it too. Probably
> too many variable to definitively state that coffee will be
> such and such ph>
>
> Soil wherein it was grown
> Roasting method
> Flavors added.
> Roasting length of time.

There is a variance (variety, growing region, and degree of roast), but
it's not terribly broad--and certainly not enough to make it alkaline.

Scott 19-12-2004 01:51 AM

Andrew H. Carter 19-12-2004 02:56 AM

On 18 Dec 2004 22:26:10 GMT, (PENMART01)
scribbled some thoughts:

>>Andrew H. Carter equivocates:
>>
>>On 3 Dec 2004 17:17:45 -0800,

>>(timeisnow) scribbled some thoughts:
>>

>>>My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
>>>doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
>>>that doesn't?

>>I's called water. What he wants is akin to have snow stay
>>on the ground in Death Valley in the dead of winter.

>What:
http://www.tropicana.com/index.asp?id=94

But it is still acidic, if it wasn't it wouldn't be orange
juice.

Just like "non alcoholic" beers, the alcohol is so low it is
negligible, but it is still there.

>How: http://www.dow.com/liquidseps/prod/sp_orange.htm

That's neat, but my motto:

No sugar
No honey
No orange juice
No milk
No eggs
No bacon
No cheese
No lasagne
No pizza
No forests

Then you just may as well stick a spear in me 'cause life
for me wouldn't be worth living.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

Scott 19-12-2004 03:38 AM

In article >,
Bubbabob > wrote:

> Since I can't afford a set of agtron tiles and all attempts to reproduce
> them on the internet have been laughably poor, I have no basis for
> comparison. It was about 20 seconds into second crack.

IIRC, there are a four Agtron tiles at the back of Davids' Home Coffee
Roasting (I have no idea what I did with my copy) for an approximation,
which helps get a ballpark range. I mean, look at Starbucks' French
Roast. Other roasters would call it "charcoal."

> I would never use pH neutral water to make coffee. It deadens the brew. The
> SCAA has a suggested range of dissolved mineral content which my local tap
> water, happily, falls in the middle of.

But different minerals will effect pH differently--any guess what your
water source contains? I don't recall if the SCAA has a particular
mineral profile that constitutes their 50 to 100 ppm range. I vaguely
recall as such, but I don't remember if it was their figure or another
source's.

> Did Sivetz state what kind of water he used to get his pH numbers?

By the sound of it, it's an average, or perhaps a "typical cup":
"Most freshly brewed coffee beverages have a pH of 5.0 to 5.1; pH is
quite uniform as a result of the buffering action of the weak organic
acids."

The rest of the page is interesting:
"Most commercial coffee buyers have little or no understanding of pH to
taste relationships. Mild coffees grown at high altitudes have more
natural acidity. Brazilian coffees have noticeably less acidity. Robusta
coffees have the least acidity. Robusta beverages are pH 5.3 to 5.7; in
alkaline waters Robustas may have a pH of 6.0, which is bland/flat.

Holding freshly brewed coffee beverage in an urn for hours forms acids.
This reduced brew pH from 5.1 to 4.8 and can cause curdling of milk or
cream. Furthermore, some distinction between volatile and non-volatile
acids in coffee is desirable. As a rule, organic acids are relatively
stable. Aldehydes can be oxidized to acids. Chlorogenic acid, when
heated, breaks down to caffeic and quinic acids. This increases the acid
content of the coffee beverage. Such acid increases and changes are also
accompanied by detectable taste changes."

The section of Coffee Technology on acidity (actual acid content, not
perceived taste) runs three pages, with tables. In one such table, he
notes that the pH of coffee is about the same as that of carrots, and is
decidedly more neutral than carbonated water (carbonic acid, I suppose).

ilaboo 04-01-2005 04:09 AM

timeisnow wrote:
> My father is looking to drink some alternative orange juice that
> doesn't have any acid in it. Does anyone know of a brand out there
> that doesn't?

try the tropicana with calcium addded

the calcium --i believe carbonate would neutralize at leaast ssome of
the acid

hth
peter

Bob Westcott 04-01-2005 03:20 PM

I've found that anything made from concentrate is too acidic for me. you
can check the refrigerated section of your grocery for it. It's normally
sold in milk carton like containers, just be sure to check for the "not from
concentrate" labelling.

Bob

k.net...