FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pumpkin side dishes ? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/4677-pumpkin-side-dishes.html)

trudiefrur 19-02-2004 10:28 PM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient dense
low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just
looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino acids
plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very few
calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner and
cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet potato
and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is rather
bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.

Rick & Cyndi 19-02-2004 11:39 PM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

"trudiefrur" > wrote in message
om...
: Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a
nutrient dense
: low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I
just
: looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino
acids
: plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very
few
: calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner
and
: cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet
potato
: and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is
rather
: bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.
=======

I recently made Pumpkin-Chocolate Chip cookies that tasted quite
nice! They stayed kind of moist... but really good.
--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Nancy Howells 19-02-2004 11:58 PM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

In article >,
(trudiefrur) wrote:

> Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient dense
> low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just
> looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino acids
> plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very few
> calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner and
> cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet potato
> and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is rather
> bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas

Oh, yes. Pumpkin cheesecake, if you're so inclined - let me know.

However, my favorite is with cinnamon, splenda, nutmeg and cloves,
warmed up, and served with a little whipped cream. Oh, my.

You can also do a a sugar-free, crust-free pumpkin pie - just follow the
directions on the back of the can of pumpkin for a pie, but leave out
the crust, and add splenda instead of sugar. It's quite good.

Last but not least, I like it savory, with curry powder, garlic, and a
little butter or olive oil, baked through.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the ;) to send mail).

Donna Rose 20-02-2004 12:46 AM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

In article >,
says...
>Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin? It is such a nutrient dense
>low calorie veg and I like to eat it several times per week. I just
>looked it up on the USDA website and it contains all the amino acids
>plus so many vitamins, good fiber (2.7 Gm per 1/2 cup) for very few
>calories. Tonight I served it with salt, pepper, equal sweetner and
>cut up raw apple for texture. I've mixed it with a baked sweet potato
>and also with carrots and also frozen squash. The flavor is rather
>bland so I'm looking for tasty ideas.

Spice it up with nutmeg (fresh grated only, please), cinnamon, maybe even
a smidgen of ground clove, salt and freshly ground pepper

Buy some egg roll wrappers and make some ravioli. Serve with a brown
butter sage sauce - yummy.
--
Donna
A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

Frogleg 20-02-2004 01:03 PM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

On 19 Feb 2004 13:28:56 -0800, (trudiefrur)
wrote:

>Any clever ways of serving canned pumpkin?

Google on

"canned pumpkin" recipe

for a flock of references. Here's one:

http://www.aliciasrecipes.com/pumpkin_recipes.htm

('though my pop-up blocker dinged like a car alarm)

Looks like with canned pumpkin you're pretty much restricted to bread,
muffins, pies, etc. There's an Afghan recipe for fresh pumpkin I've
had that is very good:

http://www.afghan-network.net/Cooking/recipe34.html

For more reicpes than you could ever use, try:

http://www.pumpkinnook.com/cookbook.htm

LSnow1111 24-02-2004 03:29 AM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

I have a black bean soup recipe that has pumpkin in it, and it's very good.
Email me if you want it.

JLove98905 24-02-2004 03:58 AM

Pumpkin side dishes ?

I had really good baked baby sugar pumpkin as a side (eaten like an acorn
squash, with butter and brown sugar and maple syrup inside). Only problem is,
you have to make it when the sweet little sugar pumpkins are peaking.
Unless...someone out here knows how to get 'em year round?
-j
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright