Melba's Jammin'

Default Souffle dish

All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart probably)
stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6" diameter AND is
not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at the top.

Would these work?
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:
> Go with the straight sided one and use a foil collar.
>
> I watched Julia do this too, many years ago and there's a picture of
> it in "Mastering..."
>
> You take a big piece of heavy duty foil or parchment paper, fold it
> in 2 or three so it's twice as tall as your dish. Then you butter and
> crumb it heavily (as you do the inside of your mold) and wrap it
> around the outside of the dish. Tie it with string around the dish,
> and I seem to recall Julia using a straight pin to fasten it in
> several places.

Thanks, Sheryl. I forgot about the collar to be added. Am familiar
with the concept.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:
> Go with the straight sided one and use a foil collar.
>
> I watched Julia do this too, many years ago and there's a picture of
> it in "Mastering..."
>
> You take a big piece of heavy duty foil or parchment paper, fold it
> in 2 or three so it's twice as tall as your dish. Then you butter and
> crumb it heavily (as you do the inside of your mold) and wrap it
> around the outside of the dish. Tie it with string around the dish,
> and I seem to recall Julia using a straight pin to fasten it in
> several places.

Thanks, Sheryl. I forgot about the collar to be added. Am familiar
with the concept.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-29-04; Sam I Am!
birthday telling; Thanksgiving 2004; Fanfare, Maestro, please.
sf

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
> 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart probably)
> stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6" diameter AND is
> not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at the top.

You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
it is.

Think of souffle as "peafowl". The traditional French Style
is like a beautiful peacock, but if you make one in a low,
wide dish... it's tastes the same, but it'slooks like a
doudy little peahen.

IMO: Taste is what counts, so use what you have and enjoy!

sf
Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 08:46:19 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>> All this souffle talk has me contemplating making one. For
>> straight-sided dishes I have a 1-1/2 quart Corning casserole with a
>> 2-1/2" inside height and 7" diameter, and a smaller (one quart
>> probably) stoneware thang that has a 2-1/2" inside height and 6"
>> diameter AND is not straight-sided -- it comes in just a little bit at
>> the top.

> You can make a souffle in any dish, Barb. It's not a
> mystery recipe - even though we've been conditioned to think
> it is.
>
> Think of souffle as "peafowl". The traditional French Style
> is like a beautiful peacock, but if you make one in a low,
> wide dish... it's tastes the same, but it'slooks like a
> doudy little peahen.
>
> IMO: Taste is what counts, so use what you have and enjoy!
>
> sf

I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion was
to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation. Then again, perhaps that's
just part of our conditioning.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
sf

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:43:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
> However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
> straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion was
> to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation.

You know the old saw... the quicker they rise, the faster
they fall and that applies to souffles too.

> Then again, perhaps that's just part of our conditioning.

It's also a competition between chefs that I'm not concerned
about. Pretty is good, but good taste is better.

sf
sf

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:43:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

> I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
> However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
> straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion was
> to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation.

You know the old saw... the quicker they rise, the faster
they fall and that applies to souffles too.

> Then again, perhaps that's just part of our conditioning.

It's also a competition between chefs that I'm not concerned
about. Pretty is good, but good taste is better.

sf

Wayne Boatwright

sf > wrote in news:3drvq01ae2tvo3609prh2bsm4vqn4hfpn9@
4ax.com:

> On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 12:43:25 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> I'll bow to your knowledge about this, since I've not made a soufflé.
>> However, I've read that the reason for using a properly-sized,
>> straight-sided dish where height and diameter is of correct proportion
>> was to insure maximum rise and minimal deflation.

> You know the old saw... the quicker they rise, the faster
> they fall and that applies to souffles too.
>
>> Then again, perhaps that's just part of our conditioning.

> It's also a competition between chefs that I'm not concerned
> about. Pretty is good, but good taste is better.

Agreed!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Chocolate Souffle Madzukun Recipes 3 21-11-2012 08:17 AM
One-dish chicken/stuffing dish? cybercat General Cooking 18 02-12-2006 08:21 PM
Update one-dish chicken and stuffing dish cybercat General Cooking 0 02-12-2006 12:33 AM
Souffle dish size question QX Baking 0 11-01-2006 02:42 AM
Salmon Souffle Maureen Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2005 01:43 PM