Gregory Morrow

Default Emu - What Does It Taste Like...???

[this has been in the Chicagoland nooze here recently. The guy that did
this should be *SHOT* IMNSHO...]

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

Owner blamed in emu chase

Elmwood Park man let birds loose, cops say

By Lisa Black, Tribune staff reporter. Freelance reporter Sean D. Hamill
contributed to this report

November 30, 2004

"As three emus rested comfortably Monday at a McHenry farm, Cook County
authorities charged an Elmwood Park man with dumping the birds on the North
Shore.

Missing feathers became key evidence that connected the emus to Isidoro
Lujano-Gonzales, 43, of the 2800 block of North 74th Court, officials said.

Lujano-Gonzales was cited for abandoning the large, flightless birds near
the Skokie Lagoons after police warned him that he could not keep them in a
yard behind his apartment, officials said. A fourth bird is believed to be
missing.

"He gave us a big story about how the birds might have ended up [on the
North Shore], but we weren't buying it," said Guy Johansen, field supervisor
for Cook County Animal Control.

Two of the birds, which are native to Australia, were caught Nov. 22,
including one that had been shot in the breast and is recovering. Police
believe Lujano-Gonzales intended to shoot the birds "and let coyotes eat the
carcasses," Johansen said.

He said the birds, at 6 feet and 100 pounds each, were probably more
difficult to handle than Lujano-Gonzales expected.

On Wednesday, Glencoe and Cook County Forest Preserve District police
officers caught the third emu, which was found shivering that night during a
snowstorm. Sightings were reported near Forestway Drive and Tower Road.

"He was shaking, cold and was probably pretty hungry," said Katie Sweeney,
animal control officer for Glencoe. Most notably, he was missing feathers, a
key to the mystery.

He matched the description of one of four emus that Elmwood Park police
found Nov. 20 behind the apartment building where Lujano-Gonzales lives,
Johansen said.

"It looked just like a turkey before you cook it," said Linda Schmidt, who,
with her husband, Roy, operates the 12-acre farm in McHenry where the emus
are recovering.

"He's in a horse stall right now with a heating lamp because his whole back
has no feathers," she said.

Forest Preserve District police cited Lujano-Gonzales for three counts of
abandoning an animal, an offense punishable by fines of up to $500 on each
count.

The Animal Control Department charged Lujano-Gonzales with three counts each
of allowing an animal to run uncontrolled and of being responsible for the
damage or costs of an animal at large.

All six counts are misdemeanors punishable by fines of up to $1,000, six
months in jail or both, Johansen said.

Lujano-Gonzales told officials that the birds belonged to a local junk
collector who had taken them from his home the day after Elmwood Park police
said he couldn't keep them there, Johansen said.

"We told him since he was the last one in custody of them, we were ticketing
him and he could tell the judge that story," Johansen said.

Lujano-Gonzales was released and is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 13.

Schmidt, who raises 10 pairs of breeding emus for their eggs and meat, said
she believes the newcomers are adolescents between 18 months and 2 years
old.

The male who was shot is healing quickly, and the female is in good
condition, she said.

She believes the third emu, a male, lost his feathers while penned up with
the other birds, which probably "beat him up" with their sharp claws as the
odd man out during mating season.

"Except for being frightened, they're not in bad health at all," she said.

Their future is another story. Unless they are linked to an owner who wants
them back, the emus are probably headed toward slaughter, Schmidt said."

Copyright © 2004, Chicago Tribune

zxcvbob

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> [this has been in the Chicagoland nooze here recently. The guy that did
> this should be *SHOT* IMNSHO...]
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed
>
> Owner blamed in emu chase

Tastes like chicken, but bigger (much bigger). HTH :-)

Bob

zxcvbob

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> [this has been in the Chicagoland nooze here recently. The guy that did
> this should be *SHOT* IMNSHO...]
>
> http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed
>
> Owner blamed in emu chase

Tastes like chicken, but bigger (much bigger). HTH :-)

Bob

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > [this has been in the Chicagoland nooze here recently. The guy that did
> > this should be *SHOT* IMNSHO...]
> >
> > http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3887049.story
> > ?coll=chi-news-hed
> >
> > Owner blamed in emu chase

> Tastes like chicken, but bigger (much bigger). HTH :-)
>
> Bob

<lol> Not at all... ;-)
Emus are a running animal and the meat is NOTHING like poultry!
It's a red meat like beef, but no marbeling since it's still bird meat.

I've eaten a lot of it, and the closest I can come is Venison.

I still have a source for FREE emu meat in the Austin/San Antonio area
if you are willing to work for the meat. Slaughter 2, keep one.

That's the deal.
--
K.
zxcvbob

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>
>>>[this has been in the Chicagoland nooze here recently. The guy that did
>>>this should be *SHOT* IMNSHO...]
>>>
>>>http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3887049.story
>>>?coll=chi-news-hed
>>>
>>>Owner blamed in emu chase

>>Tastes like chicken, but bigger (much bigger). HTH :-)
>>
>>Bob
>>

> <lol> Not at all... ;-)
> Emus are a running animal and the meat is NOTHING like poultry!
> It's a red meat like beef, but no marbeling since it's still bird meat.
>
> I've eaten a lot of it, and the closest I can come is Venison.
>
> I still have a source for FREE emu meat in the Austin/San Antonio area
> if you are willing to work for the meat. Slaughter 2, keep one.
>
> That's the deal.

Unfortunately, the truth didn't make as good a joke. ;-)

I'd take you up on the offer if I still lived in Central Texas.
I'm not really sure how you'd safely kill an emu. (shotgun to the head?)
They are a big target, but a tiny little brain, and the head doesn't
hold still. I don't think they are as dangerous as ostriches, so maybe
you could get close enough to use a sword...

Best regards,
Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.

zxcvbob

Katra wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>
>>>[this has been in the Chicagoland nooze here recently. The guy that did
>>>this should be *SHOT* IMNSHO...]
>>>
>>>http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3887049.story
>>>?coll=chi-news-hed
>>>
>>>Owner blamed in emu chase

>>Tastes like chicken, but bigger (much bigger). HTH :-)
>>
>>Bob
>>

> <lol> Not at all... ;-)
> Emus are a running animal and the meat is NOTHING like poultry!
> It's a red meat like beef, but no marbeling since it's still bird meat.
>
> I've eaten a lot of it, and the closest I can come is Venison.
>
> I still have a source for FREE emu meat in the Austin/San Antonio area
> if you are willing to work for the meat. Slaughter 2, keep one.
>
> That's the deal.

Unfortunately, the truth didn't make as good a joke. ;-)

I'd take you up on the offer if I still lived in Central Texas.
I'm not really sure how you'd safely kill an emu. (shotgun to the head?)
They are a big target, but a tiny little brain, and the head doesn't
hold still. I don't think they are as dangerous as ostriches, so maybe
you could get close enough to use a sword...

Best regards,
Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.
Bob

zxcvbob signed:

> Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.

Heh...reminds me of the opening sequence subtitles to "Monty Python and the
Holy Grail":

A Møøse once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end
of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an
Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo
Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been
sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for
sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

Bob

Bob

zxcvbob signed:

> Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.

Heh...reminds me of the opening sequence subtitles to "Monty Python and the
Holy Grail":

A Møøse once bit my sister...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end
of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an
Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo
Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink"...

We apologise for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible have been
sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for
sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

Bob

Katra

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> >>Tastes like chicken, but bigger (much bigger). HTH :-)
> >>
> >>Bob
> >>

> > <lol> Not at all... ;-)
> > Emus are a running animal and the meat is NOTHING like poultry!
> > It's a red meat like beef, but no marbeling since it's still bird meat.
> >
> > I've eaten a lot of it, and the closest I can come is Venison.
> >
> > I still have a source for FREE emu meat in the Austin/San Antonio area
> > if you are willing to work for the meat. Slaughter 2, keep one.
> >
> > That's the deal.

> Unfortunately, the truth didn't make as good a joke. ;-)

<grins> True...
I just feel compelled for some reason.
Guess it's because I deal with it so much?

> I'd take you up on the offer if I still lived in Central Texas.
> I'm not really sure how you'd safely kill an emu. (shotgun to the head?)

Actually, Paul goes for a heart shot. It's more peaceful, they struggle
less and don't bruise up the meat as much.
They are his birds, so he does the actual killing.

> They are a big target, but a tiny little brain, and the head doesn't
> hold still. I don't think they are as dangerous as ostriches, so maybe
> you could get close enough to use a sword...

I've shot emus in Andrea's pens. I aim for the head, right behind the
eye. The head is as large as your fist so is a good target from 50 yards.
I seldom miss. ;-)

> Best regards,
> Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.

Zoo ride???

--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Pan Ohco

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:25:35 -0600, Katra
> wrote:

>> Best regards,
>> Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.

>Zoo ride???

My wife use to work in an E.R. in Macomb Ms. On occasion she treated a
head wound, caused by an emu pecking on,the head of a not so cautious
farm workers.

Pan Ohco

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.
Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a
Book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching.
--Assyrian stone tablet, c. 2800 B.C.

Scotty

"Pan Ohco" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:25:35 -0600, Katra
> > wrote:
>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Bob <-- was bitten by an emu once.

>>Zoo ride???

> My wife use to work in an E.R. in Macomb Ms. On occasion she treated a
> head wound, caused by an emu pecking on,the head of a not so cautious
> farm workers.
>
> Pan Ohco

I was once pecked in the head by a pterodactyl. Is that as common?

Scott.

We have a 6th taste? Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 26 30-01-2014 07:11 PM
After taste Roy boy Winemaking 0 18-08-2005 06:44 PM
How Do We Taste? Raymond Wine 14 13-07-2005 07:16 PM
Age and taste crymad Tea 6 31-01-2005 12:30 PM
Taste like Uni James Sushi 19 01-02-2004 05:43 PM